Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
This topic is about The Cuckoo's Calling
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Cuckoo's Calling [Jun 6, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith.
June 5th.

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Spot!

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 146 comments I own it so I'm most likely in. Should get me to finally read it.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Started a bit early and I'm up to chapter 10
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Part 4 chapter 5
(view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) Started

message 8: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'm 3 chapters in, enjoying it so far. Though it does seem very tropey and Strike is your stereotypical detective, I'm assuming this was done on purpose.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 417 comments Completed Part 1 and 10 chapters.
(view spoiler)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I've read it before and really liked it. I especially like Robin's character. I just finished the follow-up and liked it even better.

message 11: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments 4 chapters in, I really like Robin too. She just seems very competent, which I like. I don't particularly like Strike though.

Andorion (ruineleint) 5 chapters in.

I really like Robin, who is efficient and organized. Strike reminds me a lot of Dresden from the Dresden Files. This is a good beginning to the book.

message 13: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Arkadeb wrote: "5 chapters in.

I really like Robin, who is efficient and organized. Strike reminds me a lot of Dresden from the Dresden Files. This is a good beginning to the book."

I think so too, he definitely reminds me of Harry Dresden. Which is probably why I don't like him, I didn't like Dresden either!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Finished this a while ago and already ordered the second book in the series.
(view spoiler)

message 15: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I haven't really read much more than chapter 5 yet. It's not grabbing me yet but I hope it does, I really want to like it,

Andorion (ruineleint) Finished.

I liked it. Strike takes some getting used to but eventually I came to enjoy being in his head. Robin is a delight and I hope she gets more prominent roles in future books.

(view spoiler)

Also does anyone think this book owes some elements to Agatha Christie? (view spoiler)

message 17: by Aakash (last edited Jun 17, 2019 02:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 417 comments Finished. I won't say I loved the book. In between it felt terribly boring. It may be because this genre was new to me or it was actually boring. Still it was a good read. I can't say anything for strike. He was professionally a great detective but other than that I didn't find him very interesting.
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I have to say I've found it rather boring so far too though I will carry on and push through. I picked it up twice this weekend and put it down just a few pages later.

In comparison, I read over 100 pages of Graceling in one go last night and more this morning before work and that's really grabbing me. Maybe it's because I usually read fantasy over crime and I prefer fantastical elements in my books but there's nothing pulling me in with this book.