Moody Bitches

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Heffner | 1076 comments Mod
Our book starting January 1, 2019!!

message 2: by Lilith (new)

Lilith | 802 comments Mod
What happened to "Moody Bitches" on the schedule?? THAT is what we're currently reading!

message 3: by Deborah (new)

We are!! I need to move the old book to read.

message 4: by Lilith (new)

I was a little surprised to learn that women have lower thresholds for pain than men (page 32.) On one hand, I could understand because of the way women are built differently and how they're generally less strong than men. However, I've always heard of their super-human ability to withstand the pain of childbirth. So that was interesting to learn!

It was very interesting how Julie mentions taking a calcium-magnesium supplement a few days before you start your period to prevent anxiety and insomnia. Who would have thought?!

I found it interesting how Julie talks about SSRI anti-depressants and their association with miscarriages, seizures, withdrawal symptoms for the baby, etc...and even how she mentions the possibility of mothers who are on SSRI's giving birth to autistic babies. I've always wondered how being on anti-depressants (or any other medication for that matter) while you're pregnant may affect the baby. I feel like there is so much information out there that we still don't know and that being on medication while pregnant may not be as okay as we think it is.

I like how Julie advocates exercise and a healthy diet...how she says "The quality of the fuel you put into your engine affects its performance." So true!

message 5: by Deborah (new)

I just started the book. January flew by so fast for me. My doctor has me taking magnesium to help my blood pressure. I think it's interesting how women are treated so differently by doctors. I also agree doctors spend very little time with their patients.

message 6: by Lilith (new)

Better taking magnesium than prescription pills!

message 7: by Lilith (new)

Semen may even act as an anti-depressant?? WHAT?!? I did not know that it contained endorphins! The study where they found women who were exposed to semen to be less depressed...I don't even know what to say about that!!

message 8: by Lilith (new)

And the part where she says how wearing bras increases your risk of developing breast cancer and how women who don't wear bras have half the risk of developing it...Very interesting!

message 9: by Lilith (last edited Feb 03, 2019 03:38AM) (new)

I just read the part where she talks about how babies born by c-section have higher rates of asthma, allergies and autoimmune symptoms because they are not exposed to bacteria from the mother's vagina so they don't build up a resistance. Hmmm...I can understand the science behind that logic, but I wonder how much truth there is to it. I would think there are other factors, like genetics for example that would influence the babies' health significantly more.

message 10: by Lilith (new)

I rated the book 4 out of 5 stars. I found it quite interesting!

I'm curious about her other books...The one about ecstasy and the one about pot. I read her book "Weekends at Bellevue" and I liked it.