Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > My Year in Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Dec 10, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Yay! The "My Year in Books" stats are now available for 2018! Not only do I love to read, but I love numbers that summarize how I read. Just layer upon layer of nerdiness.

This year (so far—and I am not done!) I have read 89 books for a total of 33,424 pages, an average of 375 pages per book. This average page length is up 18 pages over last year! My shortest book was 218 pages (Walk of Shame) and my longest was 1,443 (The Fiery Cross).

My average rating is 3.5 stars, with my most popular book being Before We Were Yours—over 420,000 readers!—while only 16 people read William M. Kunstler. That may not be too shocking. lol.

The book I read with the highest rating on GR is Becoming at 4.66 star average. Not surprising based on how much I loved it, but a bit surprising because people with differing political views have been leaving low stars and scathing reviews.

How are your years stacking up? Anyone have anything particularly shocking or good to see?

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments I have read 136 books and a total page counts of 62,693! What? I need to get a life-lol

My shortest book was Night(120 pages) and the longest Edge of Eternity(1,098 pages)

Average rating 4.0-not surprising, because if by 3-4 chapters in I am not liking a book I throw it back.

The most popular book I read All the Light We Cannot See

The book least read Ten Days to D-Day: Citizens and Soldiers on the Eve of the Invasion-only 168 other people?? I really liked this book!

The book I read with the highest rating-4.66 Crooked Kingdom

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Joanne wrote: "I have read 136 books and a total page counts of 62,693! What? I need to get a life-lol."

Whoa! That is an impressive 460 average page length! I say every year that I want to read longer books, but I am only kind of successful. Maybe 2019 will be the year!

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments Nicole R wrote: "Joanne wrote: "I have read 136 books and a total page counts of 62,693! What? I need to get a life-lol."

Whoa! That is an impressive 460 average page length! I say every year that I want to read l..."

For some reason I am attracted to long books-got 3 of them on my night stand now! Like i said-I need to get a life😁

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments I've read 111 for 37,655 pages.

My shortest book was The Foretelling at 72 pages and the longest was Winter at 833 pages with an avg length of 339.

The most popular book I read was The Fault in Our Stars with over 3 million people also reading it and the least popular was The Book Lovers' Miscellany with only 48 other people reading it. I enjoyed it and it gave me a few things to add to my TBR.

My average rating was 3.8 with the highest rated on goodreads that I read this year was The Hate U Give (4.56) which definitely was one of my favorite books of the year.

So much fun!! I definitely will get a few more books before the end of the year though. I wish they did this in Jan instead of now. Does anyone know if they update it as we finish books this month??

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Charlotte wrote: "The most popular book I read was The Fault in Our Stars with over 3 million people also reading it"

Whoa! That is a lot of people! And is a book that I still haven't gotten to yet.

Charlotte wrote: "Does anyone know if they update it as we finish books this month??"

Yep! It updates as you complete more books in 2018.

message 7: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments Joanne wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Joanne wrote: "I have read 136 books and a total page counts of 62,693! What? I need to get a life-lol."

Whoa! That is an impressive 460 average page length! I say every year that..."

I agree with Nicole!! That's impressive!! I'm so intimidated by long books that I rarely pick them up. I have a handful that I really want to read, but their length scares me.

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Joanne wrote: "For some reason I am attracted to long books

I enjoy long books as well, it just seems like most books I read are in the 350-500 range. I do love a good 1000+ page book that I can really immerse myself in and spend some good, quality time with the characters.

I have two doorstoppers on deck for 2019 but I will likely do my personal Long Book Challenge again and hopefully fit in a few more.

message 9: by Anita (last edited Dec 10, 2018 11:37AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments I really didn't have a great reading year. Too much house selling, preparation for house selling, stress from house selling, and then moving. Twice.

The interesting part is I read 63 books last year (a record), and it looks like I will read 63 books this year before the year ends. But my page count was way down. 318 average. UGH. That's awful. So truly read considerably less (like 3000 pages less).

Also intriguing is that my average rating remained 3.7 . . .not sure what that exactly says, but it doesn't seem like a statistic that is likely to remain consistent from year to year.

My least popular read had only 28 others who read it!

https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_i...

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Nicole R wrote: "Yay! The "My Year in Books" stats are now available for 2018! Not only do I love to read, but I love numbers that summarize how I read. Just layer upon layer of nerdiness.

This year (so far—and I ..."

89 books!!!?? With school and a job. Please. I really need to cut back on watching baseball.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Joanne wrote: "I have read 136 books and a total page counts of 62,693! What? I need to get a life-lol

My shortest book was Night(120 pages) and the longest Edge of Eternity(1,098 pag..."

Joanne - - that is an impressive amount of reading! More than double mine.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments 90 Books
30,921 pages
Shortest book: Peppa Pig and the Camping Trip
(I add the books I read with my children that we haven't read before. I don't add rereads. Most of our reading time is rereads)
Longest Book: City of God
Average Length: 343
Most Popular: Animal Farm
Least Popular: Child of the Warsaw Ghetto
Average Rating: 3.5
Highest Rated on Goodreads: Imitate Their Faith

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8868 comments Quick and Hasty add...

I have read 92 books, surpassing my 85. Hope to get to 100 or close to it by December 31st.

Shortest book... I expected Sea Prayer or Rose of Fire.... Or one of the fall Flurries books like Rivka's First Thanksgiving. But no... Its the Nightingale and the Rose by Oscar Wlde. I can now see there is no other way I would have even come close to the 85.

Longest book - at 702 pages it was the Pearl Sister by Lucinda Riley, the Fourth installment of the Seven Sisters Series that Jolene got me hooked on. I loved that one. Most popular book, Catcher in the Rye. Least Popular book, the Gatekeeper by Phillip Mann - who I met on Goodreads and apparently no one else but me has read it! I liked the prequel much better, but I was kind in the review. I've read close to 30.000 pages, and nothing else was that striking.... But it was really fun to see the list the way they display it. Good year for all of us....

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8868 comments Whoops - forgot something and i can't believe I am still here!

My average rating was 3.9 - I've had a great year, book average about 325. But here's the kicker. The highest rated book I've read on Goodreads is a children's chapter book called the Magical Day. Really? I went to hear my friend read poetry last January, and the Emcee mentioned she wrote a book that was multicultural for children, and gave me her card. I got it from the library and reviewed it for her. I thought it was great, and I gave it five stars. Read it with my kid in Mexico in February. But really? Like I read the Weight of Ink this year, and the Hearts Invisible Furies. And We Were the Lucky Ones. Maybe only two people read it, and we both gave it five stars Therefore, its my highest rated book? I have no other explanation. Since Gatekeeper was zero. Or maybe no one else read it but me.... Anyway - talk to you guys later.....

message 15: by Joanne (last edited Dec 10, 2018 01:06PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments Anita wrote: "I really didn't have a great reading year. Too much house selling, preparation for house selling, stress from house selling, and then moving. Twice.

The interesting part is I read 63 books last y..."

How strange, your least popular book was also the highest rated!

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Joanne wrote: "Anita wrote: "I really didn't have a great reading year. Too much house selling, preparation for house selling, stress from house selling, and then moving. Twice.

The interesting part is I read 6..."

Not many have read it, but those who have loved it apparently.

message 17: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Anita wrote: "89 books!!!?? With school and a job. Please. I really need to cut back on watching baseball. "

I'll probably hit 95 by the end of the year and it wouldn't have been possible without audiobooks and a lot of time spent in the car commuting! lol

message 18: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Joanne wrote: "Anita wrote: "I really didn't have a great reading year. Too much house selling, preparation for house selling, stress from house selling, and then moving. Twice.

The interesting part is I read 6..."

I know - - that's totally weird. It was self published, and honestly, while I enjoyed it overall, I suspect that 80% of the readers may be FOA's (friends of the author). It's like if I wrote a book and the only reviewers were PBT members or something ;).

message 19: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments *pout*

Mine makes it look like all I read are comic books. Least pages? Comic book. (Though that's not surprising) Most pages? A three volume omnibus manga. Highest rated? The newest installment in a popular manga series. Of course, when I scroll down to look at everything I've read there's a ton of manga... so maybe I do read too many comic books... sigh.

This made me laugh: the least popular is a weird indie press children's book that came out this year and I only read because a patron turned it in and it had pretty illustrations (The Day We Lost Pet, 52 people). The most popular is the only Stephen King I'll probably ever read (On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, with 200,133 people, which is probably low for Mr. King).

So far I've read 138 books at 30,090 pages, but that's certainly going to go way up over the holidays.

message 20: by LibraryCin (last edited Dec 10, 2018 05:44PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Nicole R wrote: "Yay! The "My Year in Books" stats are now available for 2018! Not only do I love to read, but I love numbers that summarize how I read. Just layer upon layer of nerdiness...."

I love book/reading stats, too, but I probably won't look too close until the year is done! (Or, I'll look anyway, and look again when the year is actually done.)

message 21: by LibraryCin (last edited Dec 10, 2018 05:58PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments OK, with looking at everyone else's, I had to peek at mine:

I read 52,257 pages across 160 books (326.6 average).

SHORTEST BOOK: 32 pages (The Mitten / Jan Brett - a picture book)

LONGEST BOOK: 1,443 pages (The Fiery Cross / Diana Gabaldon)

Average rating = 3.4

HIGHEST RATED ON GOODREADS: Tiger Drive: a novel / Teri Case (4.56 average)

ETA: Oops, missed this:

MOST POPULAR: 3,368,521 people also read The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald

LEAST POPULAR: 0 people also read Looks Can Kill by Valerie Walker (local author)

But, let me say that I liked "Looks Can Kill" way better than "The Great Gatsby"!

message 22: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5069 comments I'll wait till the end of the year before posting mine, as I know I'll be adding more to my total!

message 23: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I will Be Too, but I couldn’t resist getting the convo started! Lol.

message 24: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments 118 books so far but the last 2 haven't been added in to the "Year in Books" stats yet, from the look of it (it says 116 at the top, and 118 at the bottom). So say 116 for now...

I started with a challenge aim of 52, upped it to 75, then to 100 then I didn't bother changing it any more, lol.

40,641 pages, so quite a few of my books were reasonably short. My longest one was 827, apparently. 350 pages average, which is pretty normal for me - I don't read a lot of doorstops if I can help it :)

Average rating 3.7 (down from 4.0 last year, but then I read more than twice as many books, so I'd expect a bit more variability).

Only 36 people read my least popular - a few more than yours, Anita, but not by much!

Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow was the book with the best GR rating (4.56).

message 25: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I read in another group that books read after the My Year in Review was first posted but they take a few days to get there. Something about caching?

message 26: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Mine always looks pitiful compared to so many of you in this group but I love the stats anyway. And mine are better this year than last year so that is always good.

Total Books: 33 (exceeded my goal of 25)
Total Pages: 11,113

Shortest: 102 pages
Longest: 644

Most Popular: Cather in the Rye with 2.5 million readers
Least Popular: The Traveler's Summit with 131 readers

Average Rating: 3.9
Highest Rated on Goodreads: Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6016 comments LibraryCin wrote: "LONGEST BOOK: 1,443 pages (The Fiery Cross / Diana Gabaldon)..."

Hmmm I also read The Fiery Cross this year .. but I always shelve the hardcover first edition (regardless of which edition I actually read) ... so I get on 979 pages for this one (still my longest book).

Waiting to post till the end of the year ... but what I've recorded to date is 171 books with 55,884 total pages (326 average length)

Finished two more on my way down to Texas that I haven't recorded yet. Working on two audios and a traditional DTB while I'm here.... Now that we're at the beach, I think I'll be doing lots more reading.

message 28: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Book Concierge wrote: "but I always shelve the hardcover first edition (regardless of which edition I actually read) "

People definitely do this differently. For me, I always shelve the version that I actually read if reading it in hard copy. If I read it on my Kindle, I typically shelf the Kindle version or the version that I would have purchased if I wanted to read it in print. For audio, I almost always shelve the hardcover/original format.

I just try to be consistent in what I do myself even though I know others do it differently.

I don't think I have ever even seen a hardcopy version of an Outlander book! That has got to weight a TON! lol. I have seen the larger trade paperbacks, but I am a mass market paperback kind of girl when it is available.

message 29: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments I found that it updated overnight. I finished a book last night and by the time I woke up this morning, it was included. Caching makes sense since I'm sure its a query that they have set up for each user that takes a minute to run.

I saw my first hardcopy version of one of the Outlander series this past Friday at a brick and mortar Amazon store... it was HUGE. I started the series way back when they first came out and I'm thinking of re-reading and getting back into it.

message 30: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5069 comments I've thought often of re-reading Outlander from the beginning because I've forgotten so much, but the thought is so daunting!

message 31: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments annapi wrote: "I've thought often of re-reading Outlander from the beginning because I've forgotten so much, but the thought is so daunting!"

Plot summaries online. Wikipedia normally has a plot summary. Helps refresh the memory.

message 32: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5069 comments Ha! Yes, I will do that, thanks Jason!

message 33: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments annapi wrote: "I've thought often of re-reading Outlander from the beginning because I've forgotten so much, but the thought is so daunting!"

I am sure that I will reread the series at some point, and think when I do I will go with the audios by Davina Porter!

message 34: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Jason wrote: "Plot summaries online. Wikipedia normally has a plot summary. Helps refresh the memory. .."

Oh, there is a whole Outlander wiki! I am sure Anna knows all about it, but for others who may not have found it yet: https://outlander.fandom.com/wiki/Out...

message 35: by Robin (new)

Robin A J.W. wrote: "Mine always looks pitiful compared to so many of you in this group but I love the stats anyway. And mine are better this year than last year so that is always good.

Total Books: 33 (exceeded my go..."

I feel the same way. I'm at 37 books out 45 goal. Though find the stats interesting. One of the worst books I read(confirmed by my in person book club) was rated one on the highest on Goodreads.

message 36: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3402 comments I am pretty much done for the year, so I will go ahead and share My Year in Books!

Read 10,261 pages across 30 books (342 page average).
Shortest book: Speak (198 pages)
Longest book: Uzumaki vol #1-3 (648 pages), but this is a manga so it shouldn't count.
Most popular: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban with 2,622,901 readers
Least popular: The Siren and the Specter with 318 readers

My average rating: 4.0
Wow, I had a good reading year!

message 37: by Nicole D. (last edited Dec 11, 2018 09:53AM) (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments 76 books (just finished 77th, haven't updated yet)
25,410 pages (sometimes audios only show like 11 pages, so I know that number is artificially low)
avg 334p
shortest The Testament of Mary 81 p
Longest The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 601 p, felt like 1150
Average 3.8 (low for me, indicative of more audio)
Highest rated on GR Muse of Nightmares 4.53 (nope)

Most popular read by me The Little Prince
Least popular Days of Awe: Stories

message 38: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments .Longest The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 601 p, felt like 1150."

LOL, okay, I don't really want to try this now . . .or ever.

message 39: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments Anita wrote: ".Longest The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 601 p, felt like 1150."

LOL, okay, I don't really want to try this now . . .or ever."
I don't think you will like it

message 40: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 53 comments Oh how fun! I am not quite as prolific a reader as many of you but I've read more this year than any year before so I'm pleased with that.

So far I have read 49 books and 18,999 pages.

Shortest: A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo - 40 pages
Longest: The Goldfinch - 881 pages
Most popular - To Kill a Mockingbird - 4,020,214
Least popular - The Exiled - 1,435 (such a shame, this series needs more love!)
Highest rating - A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo 4.78 (not surprising as this book was written to make a political statement)

message 41: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I'm also waiting until the end of year- in hopes that I finish a few more books!

On the shelving topic- I usually try and shelve the version I actually read also- with the exception being audiobooks (C'mon 14 CD's does NOT translate to 14 pages, lol!).

You are all so impressive with your book stats!!

message 42: by annapi (last edited Dec 11, 2018 11:42AM) (new)

annapi | 5069 comments Nicole, no I did NOT know about Outlander wiki! Thanks, I will be exploring it! :)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Total books so far: 83
Pages read: 31.036
Shortest book: 118 pages
Longest book: 920 pages
Average length: 378
Most popular: Hunger Games
Least popular: Moving Up: An Aliyah Journal (only 21 people read it)

This is my first year here on Goodreads and it's interesting to see the stats. I have never kept count of any of this over this years.:)

message 44: by Sushicat (last edited Dec 11, 2018 01:46PM) (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments If you want to look at this earlier in the year, just use the link to this year’s overview and replace 2018 in the link with 2019. You can also go back to previous years in the same way.

message 45: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments My stats: 41627 pages / 171 books / avg 243 pages, which is significantly down due to this year’s reread of all the Asterix (48 pages per book) and Oumpah-Pah (32).

Longest and also most popular: Outlander at 850 pages
Least popular: The Beast with 4 other readers
Highest rated: March: Book Three

Average rating: 3.8 stars

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8868 comments Rachel, you have been such a strong and wonderful addition to PBT.

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) I'm waiting until the real end of the year!

message 48: by Theresa (last edited Dec 11, 2018 07:02PM) (new)

Theresa | 7442 comments This always fascinates me -- well at least for the 2 or 3 years when I actually have kept track of ALL my reading! So here I am -- and there will be quite a few more books read before year end:

Total read to date: 173 Total pages: 51,829
Avg. rating - 3.2 stars - I read quite a lot of light mediocre escapism for which I have a very high tolerance :-)

Longest book - The Map of Time at 613 pages - read for Pop Sugar prompt book with time travel. That's actually unusual for me. I usually have a doorstop or two over 1000 pages. My reading this year was more free form - no big planned read (well, Proust lingers on my 'currently read' list .... maybe 2019 is the year I finally re-read the first books and continue through to the last).

Shortest book - 94 pages - it was 2 short stories bound together by a favorite escape reading author.

Most popular: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - read for Pop Sugar Challenge - Nordic Noir prompt and for ATY #20 - book rated 5 stars by at least one friend.

Least popular was a novella I just read - and which was just published - Tied Up with A Bow - has only 12 ratings so far. I gave it 2 stars but everyone else is giving it much higher ratings - another words most of the 11 others liked it a whole lot more ;-)

Now here's the most interesting stat: The book of all the books I read, which included wonders like The Weight of Ink and The Last Watchman of Old Cairo, that has the highest rating on GR at 4.68 is .....

[drum roll please]

Harlequin Love Inspired Suspense Military K-9 series book #3 which I gave only 1 star and did not even bother writing a review about: Top Secret Target. This is why I seriously do not take GR reviews seriously in general - only reviews from friends or in groups like PBT.

This will change as I have a bunch of books in the pipeline, easily finished by year end. I just have to survive this week at work.

message 49: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments Harlequin Love Inspired Suspense Military K-9 series book #3 which I gave only 1 star and did not even bother writing a review about....

Oh, I am dying here.....it as been a day to remember on PBT, with all the "Geek" jokes, then the Dewy Decimal post....now this! I need to go read and get away from the computer..laughed too hard too many times today!

message 50: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments Theresa, that is so hilarious! It would have been a great example for the training session I just did for a bunch of data analysts - under the heading of ‘understanding the limitations of data’ ...

« previous 1 3