Beta Reader Group discussion

Writing Advice & Discussion > The Curse Word Challenge

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) Dennis Meredith is writing a science thriller, the Tasty Bomb [www.TastyBomb.com] in which an eccentric main character, having been reprimanded for her foul mouth, has decided to employ non-curse words in her vocabulary as substitutes. The "Curse word" Challenge: come up with words whose sound makes them satisfying curses in times of anger or frustration. Examples:
Fricassee!
Pork chop!
Chopstick!

message 2: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) Dennis Meredith is writing a science thriller, the Tasty Bomb [www.TastyBomb.com] in which an eccentric main character, having been reprimanded for her foul mouth, has decided to employ non-curse words in her vocabulary as substitutes. The "Curse word" Challenge: come up with words whose sound makes them satisfying curses in times of anger or frustration. Examples:
Fricassee!
Pork chop!
Chopstick!

message 3: by J (new)

J | 52 comments son of a biscuit

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Winkler (goodreadscomrebecca_winkler) | 26 comments The old standby: Fudge

message 5: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Melody (acmelody) | 8 comments Mother Trucker is one I remember. The TV show "The Good Place" has funny ones like "fork/forking" "sonofabench" and "bullshirt" so it can be fun to have your character just get creative with similar sounding words.

message 6: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) I love "The Good Place" they do indeed use the most creative curses.

Thank everyone for you help.

message 7: by Vee (new)

Vee Taylor-Gunn | 6 comments That funking barsteward!!!

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Jack | 0 comments Shut the front door
Fugue (I play music!)
Foo-gay (variant of fugue, LOL)
Freak
Shoot

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Stevens Mother flower! One of my friends used to say this and it cracked me up.