Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Dennis Meredith
This topic is about Dennis Meredith
Author Chat! > "The Curse Word Challenge"

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) | 189 comments I am writing a new science thriller, the Tasty Bomb [www.TastyBomb.com] in which an eccentric main character, having been reprimanded for her foul mouth, has decided to employ non-curse words in her vocabulary as substitutes. The "Curse word" Challenge: come up with words whose sound makes them satisfying curses in times of anger or frustration. Examples:
Fricassee!
Pork chop!
Chopstick!

message 2: by Shanna (new)

Shanna Swenson (shannaswen) | 20 comments A southern favorite- Dadgummit! ;-)

message 3: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1233 comments Mod
dang it

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 268 comments Horse feathers
Fudge
Dad blasted
Son of a biscuit/nutcracker

message 5: by Carole (new)

schizer
shoot
Son of a gun
Shut the front door
Blast it
Bugger it

message 6: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 246 comments Botheration

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 348 comments Fraggit!
Clucking Bell
Bar-steward

message 8: by Carole (new)

frigging

message 9: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 246 comments Buggeration

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 348 comments D.J. wrote: "Buggeration"

I haven't heard that one in a while, made me laugh.

message 11: by C. (new)

C. Gold | 62 comments Shoitzbakkensonzuvabeechram is what I made up in real life when I wanted to say SoB back when I didn't have such a potty mouth.

Cussing in fantasy worlds can be interesting to develop. I usually try basing it on things people either revere or despise.

message 12: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) | 189 comments Thanks everyone, these are great.

I had an English teacher in high school that said swearing just showed you were illiterate and not able to come up with a proper curse.

One of my all time favorite curses was a doctor I worked with who said, of a not so popular nurse, "I hope she has a miserable menopause."

Stay warm,
Joni

message 13: by Carole (last edited Dec 11, 2018 10:06AM) (new)

lol.

They say cursing is a crutch for the dimwitted.

message 14: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Knox (sknox) | 27 comments The story goes that George Patton said a gentleman should be able to curse for three minutes without repeating himself. I'm inclined to agree.

message 15: by Carole (new)

Personally, I like an old Will Shakespeare curse any day of the week.

message 16: by Sela (new)

Sela (selacarsen) | 3 comments I've heard plenty of studies indicating that people who curse tend to have higher IQs. ;) ( https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing... )

That said, I do think it's best to pick and choose the right words - foul or not - for maximum impact, and I've written books with and without cursing, depending on the audience and the mood of the story.

I did develop a language for my SFR series and got to make up some fun swear words! So I got to call the bad guy a geitfandene arsel instead of a goatf***ing a**hole. LOL!

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 348 comments Sela wrote: "I've heard plenty of studies indicating that people who curse tend to have higher IQs. ;) ( https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing... )

That said..."

I've heard of the same studies.

I love that one - geifandene arsel, I must try and put it into conversation, hehe.

To my mind, swearing is indicative of temperament rather than intellect or vocabulary.

When it comes to swearing, one of the kings was R Lee Ermey, who got the role as the Sergeant Major (?) in Full Metal Jacket after making a video for Stanley Kubrick in which he cursed for about 30 minutes straight without ever repeating himself.

And that's my random piece of useless information for the day, lol.

message 18: by Carole (new)

lol.

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread