Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Kathleen's 2019 Old & New and I Blame YOU Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathleen (last edited Dec 31, 2019 04:38AM) (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments I promised myself I wouldn't do this challenge. Don't think I don't know whose fault it is. I blame you all. :-)

Before 1900
✓*Poetics by Aristotle (335) Finished 10/5/19 ♥♥♥♥♥
Dialog of the Dogs by Miguel De Cervantez (1615) Finished 12/30/19 ♥♥♥♥
Adam Bede by George Eliot (1859) Finished 11/18/19 ♥♥♥♥

1900-1999
The Wife by Sigrid Undset (1921) Finished 4/1/19 ♥♥♥♥♥
Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell (1933) Finished 4/1/19 ♥♥♥♥♥
✓*The Street by Ann Petry (1966) Finished 1/21/19 ♥♥♥♥♥

Wildcards – a hodge podge of genres
*Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter by Simone de Beauvoir (1958) autobiography**Used Alternate**
✓*The Lion in Winter by James Goldman (1966) playFinished 12/21/19 ♥♥♥♥♥
✓*Eva Moves the Furniture by Margot Livesey (2001) novelFinished 4/1/19 ♥♥♥♥♥
✓*We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals by Gillian Gill (2009) biography Finished 5/20/19 ♥♥♥♥♥
The Purple Swamp Hen and Other Stories by Penelope Lively (2016) short fiction Finished 12/30/19 ♥♥♥♥
Calypso by David Sedaris (2018) humor Finished 10/13/19 ♥♥♥♥♥

Alternates
Scenes of Clerical Life by George Eliot (1857) Finished 6/17/19 ♥♥♥♥♥
*Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfouz (1956)

Seven new-to me authors (*), two favorite authors (Eliot and Sedaris), and four, if not favorites yet, that I wholeheartedly trust: Cervantes, Undset, Orwell and Lively)

message 2: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Love the title of your challenge, Kathleen! Hope you enjoy all of your choices. I look forward to reading your thoughts on each!

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments I really wasn't going to do this--I am so weak. I'm sure I will enjoy them though. Thanks, Candi!

message 4: by April (new)

April Munday | 277 comments It's such a good challenge, though.

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I accept my share of the blame, since I’m not sorry, I guess I will have to cut my own hickory switch. Nice list!!

message 6: by Brina (new)

Brina I love these choices. I’m writing my list from a lot of your books, Kathleen. I guess I’m a year behind you ;)

message 7: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments Naguib Mahfouz and other MENA authors are ones I would like to read more.Its in my TBR too.And George Eliot is one author that I really love.She writes magnificently. And Orwells works I like.I need to read 1984 next year,hopefully.
I am looking forward to your great reviews, Kathleen.Enjoy the books .Great list!

message 8: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments Another diverse list, Kathleen. I never even knew Cervantes wrote another work. It's nice seeing other people's reads and discover there's even more books out there than you suspected. Happy reading :).

message 9: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments April--thank you! That is the problem, isn't it? So many good books out there.

And yes, Bob, you definitely share in the blame, but truth is I'm not sorry either. :-)

Brina, I'm behind you most of the time, so we'll just keep sharing ideas and eventually get them all read!

I'd like to read more MENA authors too, Elena. Look forward to sharing more of these.

And thanks, Lotte--so true there are endless books to discover! Wish we had time to read them all ...

message 10: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Kathleen wrote: "I really wasn't going to do this--I am so weak. "

You and me both. LOL

message 11: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5044 comments Mod
Do you expect anyone here to feel guilty, Kathleen? We are practicing the Golden Rule.

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Ha! So true about the Golden Rule, Sara. I actually felt pretty safe that no one would feel bad. :-)

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments I love the title of your challenge! I wasn't going to do this one either, but after seeing everyone's lists I decided to give it a go. Hope you enjoy all your choices! Happy reading :)

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Thank you Renee! It sounds like a lot of us are feeling that way--we are happily hopeless.

message 15: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments Happily hopeless...I like that..🤷‍♀️ what can one do but give in,after all... :p

message 16: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments Hi Kathleen. I am open to reading with or in tandem with you Poetics. It have not read it since graduate school. Let me knkw if interested. . . .

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments I'd love that, Cynda, and could use your insight!

The version I have is from the library. Aristotle On the Art of Fiction: An English translation of Aristotle's Poetics with an Introductory Essay and Explanatory Notes. I'm curious about other translations.

I can read this any time but January. Do you have a preference?

message 18: by Cynda (last edited Dec 29, 2018 01:51PM) (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments Oh Good Kathleen. We can help each other :-) I can do February or even better the beginning of May to end of August. Let me know. . . .

message 19: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Cynda wrote: "Oh Good Kathleen. We can help each other :-) I can do February or even better the beginning of May to end of August. Let me know. . . ."

The years is off to a swift start, and May is sounding good for me, if you're still interested in Poetics, Cynda!

I am half way through The Street, which is fantastic, and very slowly starting Scenes of Clerical Life. I'm finding similarities between Ann Petry and George Eliot. They both have much insight to share, and both have a knack for drawing empathy out of the reader.

message 20: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments Yes! May is good.
I had a relaxing start at the beginning of the year so that now I am relaxed and reading like a happy bookworm :-)

message 21: by Susie (new)

Susie | 751 comments Scenes of Clerical Life is on my George Eliot list of reading for this year. I'll be interested in what you think...

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Susie wrote: "Scenes of Clerical Life is on my George Eliot list of reading for this year. I'll be interested in what you think..."

I'll let you know! I'm only a little into it and already love it, but I'm a big fan of GE's writing.

message 23: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments In the spirit of expecting to love all of these books, I'm turning my stars into hearts! ♥♥

I certainly loved the first one. Ann Petry's The Street is a must read. A tragically beautiful portrayal of a black woman's life in Harlem in the years after WWII. I can't recommend this one enough. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

It's been interesting reading this with Scenes of Clerical Life. I think George Eliot would have had great admiration for Ann Petry.

message 24: by Kathleen (last edited May 20, 2019 05:47AM) (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments I had to blow off the dust covering this challenge!

But I have two updates. I forgot to post when I finished Down and Out in Paris and London. Such a great exploration of life in poverty. Everyone should read it. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

And I just finished We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals. I just loved this one. It may not be for everyone, but if you enjoy the Victorian period or have any curiosity about the immortal story of Victoria and Albert, it's a must. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Three five star (♥♥♥♥♥) books so far. It's okay that I'm so far behind. ;-)

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3183 comments That's great Kathleen, congratulations! I've added your 5-star books to my list.

I don't know why I somehow missed your list. I love the variety of genres that you have. I may use that idea on my next one.

message 26: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments I think the variety will work well for me this year, Sue. I seem to be craving something different. Although after We Two, I want to go on a biography kick ...

message 27: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
Kathleen wrote: "I had to blow off the dust covering this challenge!

But I have two updates. I forgot to post when I finished Down and Out in Paris and London. Such a great exploration of life in pov..."

I am impressed with the number of books Orwell wrote. This one does look like a must read.

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Kathleen wrote: "I had to blow off the dust covering this challenge!

But I have two updates. I forgot to post when I finished Down and Out in Paris and London. Such a great exploration of life in pov..."

I do need to read this one!

message 29: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Lynn and Katy, I hope you both get to read it and enjoy it.

It is surprising how many books Orwell wrote. I think maybe I'd like to read Burmese Days next, or maybe his essays. This one had been on my list for decades, and I can't let that happen again!

message 30: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Another good one. I really need to read some more by Orwell.

message 31: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments Kathleen wrote: "Lynn and Katy, I hope you both get to read it and enjoy it.

It is surprising how many books Orwell wrote. I think maybe I'd like to read Burmese Days next, or maybe his essays. This on..."

I need to read the book too.ĺ liked the books I read by him so far.

message 32: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments It looks like we only have 1984 and Animal Farm on our group shelf. Maybe I'll nominate something else by him next time.

message 33: by Petra (last edited May 23, 2019 07:19AM) (new)

Petra Kathleen wrote: "But I have two updates. I forgot to post when I finished Down and Out in Paris and London. Such a great exploration of life in poverty. Everyone should read it. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....."

I read this a number of years ago and really enjoyed it. Orwell's writing is really good.
I was thinking, a few weeks ago, that Orwell seems to have dropped off the radar. I haven't seen his books mentioned in quite some time. It's nice to see this post and how much you enjoyed the book.
I still have a collection of Orwell novels and essays on my bookshelf to dig into.

message 34: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments I agree that Orwell's writing is really good--I can't imagine being disappointed in it. Glad to hear you enjoyed this too, Petra.

message 35: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments I finished Scenes of Clerical Life by George Eliot for an alternate (which at the rate I'm going I may need!).

This book! It is so densely packed with goodness that I took six months to read it. I don't recommend anyone take that long, but it is one you want to savor. Not a good first Eliot read, but fans will love it I think. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'm taking a little time off before reading Adam Bede, but I'm looking forward to it even more now.

message 36: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Cynda wrote: "Yes! May is good.
I had a relaxing start at the beginning of the year so that now I am relaxed and reading like a happy bookworm :-)"

I guess I've been putting off Poetics. I'm sorry Cynda! If you're still interested, I was thinking September, but just re-read your note that you could read it through end of August. Let me know if you want to read it in August, and I can make that happen!

message 37: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments We are on the same page today :-) September is good. I will buy a copy soon. We can finalize reading plans later in August, if that works for you. Whaoo. Looking forward.

message 38: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Cynda wrote: "We are on the same page today :-) September is good. I will buy a copy soon. We can finalize reading plans later in August, if that works for you. Whaoo. Looking forward."

Great, Cynda--thanks!

message 39: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Kathleen wrote: "Cynda wrote: "Yes! May is good.
I had a relaxing start at the beginning of the year so that now I am relaxed and reading like a happy bookworm :-)"

I guess I've been putting off [book:Poetics|1327..."

Poetics is mercifully short and probably his most accessible work.
I say this as one who read not just Poetics but Aristotle entire Ethics and Politics, as well as some painful excerpts from the Metaphysics in university.

Funnily enough Aristotle was known as a really good writer by his contemporaries! Unfortunately, his actual written work has not survived. All those texts of his that we have are just his lecture notes! Not meant to be read by anyone but himself. I imagine he explained and expostulated and otherwise spruced things up when he delivered his lectures, and added all sorts of flourishes to the written works he circulated.

But again, the Poetics aren't that bad. A lot of concepts there that will be familiar to the modern and educated reader, especially one interested in literature and theatre. It is kind of a response to Plato's dismissal of poetry in the Republic, but you don't really need that for background. Plato's stance on literature and poetry was more complex that you'd think from the Republic anyway, so that whole debate is neither here nor there.

message 40: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Leni, I am so relieved to hear that you don't need The Republic for background. Phew! And I wasn't aware that only his lecture notes survived. Very helpful to know going in.

As one who didn't get any of these in college, I have been afraid to try them. I've read endless quotes and references to Poetics, but when I've picked it up and tried to read it, I realized I probably needed some prep first. :-/ Your comment is welcome indeed!

We'll probably set up a buddy read when the time comes, and I hope you stop by--would love to hear more of your thoughts on this one.

message 41: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3183 comments Kathleen wrote: "I finished Scenes of Clerical Life by George Eliot for an alternate (which at the rate I'm going I may need!).

This book! It is so densely packed with goodness that I too..."

I loved your review Kathleen. Congratulations on completing another one!

message 42: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Sue wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "I finished Scenes of Clerical Life by George Eliot for an alternate (which at the rate I'm going I may need!).

This book! It is so densely packed with go..."

Thanks so much, Sue. I need to pick up the pace a bit, but really hope to finish this challenge!

message 43: by Cynda (last edited Jun 21, 2019 09:02PM) (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments Kathleen, Aristotle's Poetics, is elementary rhetoric, describing a developing oral art form. I remember thinking that theatre students might do well to read and glean some background. I am thinking Poetics will be completely do-able. . . . And we will do it together ;-)

message 44: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments Hi Kathleen. Just checking in. I am ready to start Poetics in September. If you will let me know whenever you will be ready in a day or two, I will be ready too. I will probably just go with Gutenberg for my copy. What will you be reading from?

message 45: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Great Cynda--I'll be ready too. I have this one available from my library: Aristotle On the Art of Fiction. It has this subtitle: An English translation of Aristotle's Poetics with an introductory essay and explanatory notes.

Maybe a bit before September I'll request a buddy read thread. I'm excited!

message 46: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments Okay!

message 47: by Cynda (last edited Jul 21, 2019 09:27PM) (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments Hi Kathleen, I found a copy online with introductory information. I wait on you--any time between now and end of year :-)

message 48: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments As of now, September is still best for me Cynda, but let me know if you get anxious. :-)

message 49: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments September is best for me too. Got momentarily anxious but got over it. 😊

message 50: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments This continues to be an all-five-star challenge for me. Eva Moves the Furniture was personally special, and I love this author's writing style. It's very subtle, and you have no idea the impact she's having on you until you're done.

Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

« previous 1