2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12)
This topic is about Murder on Lexington Avenue

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Any other topics you’d like to discuss? Your overall opinion of the story?

message 2: by Robin (last edited Jan 05, 2019 07:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments I loved that Frank and Sarah were working closely on this one. It was much more entertaining that when Sarah takes a backseat to the action.

Was anyone else confused that Electra would (according to what she told Sarah) leave a note telling people that she was running away with Adam, then hope someone would find them together in White Plains. She said she was upset that Adam had killed Leander. Was she really? Would you take off with your brother's killer in hopes that someone found your note and found you together so you could uncover the fact that he murdered two people. Yes, she set him up to kill her father and I assume she set him up to kill Leander too. But why take off with him in hopes that the cops followed you? What did I miss?

Phrynne | 601 comments Whatever you missed I missed it too Robin. It was a bit of a weak point I think!
Good book though. I really enjoyed it overall:)

She couldn’t implicate Adam without him implicating her. She knew they’d find that note (she made sure of that) and had insisted on meeting with Frank earlier. That’s when she made her assessment of him, knowing he’d be persistent, unlike most other police. Electra was pretty diabolical, leaving breadcrumbs leading them to White Plains. They as a deaf couple stood out at the train station, which made it easy for Sarah and Frank to find them.

By setting him up in White Plains, Electra took the attention away from herself, making her a sympathetic character because she was “abducted.” Of course, her family will cover that up to protect her reputation.

This was a well-thought out plan. I’m not sure if she wanted Leander dead. Can’t figure out how she benefits from that.

Phrynne | 601 comments Maybe she thought he would become as controlling of her as her father had been.

Maybe so. He was forbidding her to see Adam and maybe she saw that as a harbinger of her future under him.

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments I also think Electra didn't like how Leander was handling Adam and not letting him date/marry Electra. I think she wanted rid of Leander too.

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments Jonetta, you made a good point about Electra setting up Adam to make it look like she had been abducted.

Robin, I remember thinking at the time that they made it so easy to find them.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I was confused by Electra's assumption that someone would find her alive when she set up Adam to murder two people. She really was full of bravada (is that a word?), wasn't she? How could she see it playing out if her aunt didn't get in touch with Frank, relying on luck not to be ruined in the Victorian sense of the word?

~ Giulia ~ | 193 comments I was confused by that part too. Maybe the spoiled brat never considered the possibility of something not going the way she wanted.

That’s more likely, Giulia.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, it was a poorly thought out plot point.
Electra's excuse that she was angry with Adam for killing Leander doesn't make sense. As Robin points out, she wouldn't have wanted to be controlled by her brother any more than by her father.