2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12)
This topic is about Murder on Lexington Avenue

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Two historical factoids....

1. Were you aware that Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone in an effort to communicate with his deaf wife? Were you aware of his extreme views about the deaf (eugenics)?

2. Did you know that Princeton University was first called the College of New Jersey?

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments 1. I knew that someone in Bell's family was deaf, but didn't know that was why he worked on inventing the telephone.

2. Didn't know that.

Phrynne | 601 comments Nope! I didn't know either of those facts.

I didn’t know about either (of course hubby knew about Bell). How extraordinary that his invention didn’t do anything for the deaf community (at the time) but is so relevant in our lives. What we do without our cell phones???

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I did not know Bell's wife was deaf. Nor did I know about his idea on eugenics; did he and his wife have any deaf children, does anyone know? Odd.

2. I did know about Princeton. I thought it was really-early-on called, simply "The Log College," but I might be confused on this.

1. Bell’s mother was also deaf. His wife, Mabel, became deaf at the age of five following an illness. They had four children, two sons who died in infancy and two daughters. Neither of his daughters were deaf.

2. I researched and couldn’t find a reference to “The Log College.” It was named College of New Jersey the year it was established in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The college later moved to Princeton.

~ Giulia ~ | 193 comments I knew Alexander Graham Bell didn't have very nice views, but I didn't know of his ties with the deaf.
I don't want to get into the controversy, but as an Italian I cannot help but mention the real inventor of the telephone: Antonio Meucci.

Giulia, when I asked my husband about Bell’s connection with the deaf, he reminded me that he wasn’t really the one to invent the telephone. Thank you for the reference!

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments 1. I knew of the connection between Alexander Graham Bell's work and his wife's deafness.
I wasn't aware of the eugenics aspect of his views and even looked it up and read this fantastic article - https://medium.com/sun-shine/trigger-...

His beliefs are not as clear cut as Thompson presents.

2. No, I didn't know that Princeton was originally New Jersey College. Very interesting.