2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12)
This topic is about Murder on Lexington Avenue

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Frank’s trying to investigate Wooten’s murder at his office and no one there seems interested in helping him solve the crime. Did this make you suspicious at the time or was it the same old attitude about police and the class distinctions?

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments It just made me think that Wooten was not a popular guy around the office.

Phrynne | 601 comments Same plus the general attitude then towards the police.

It defies logic how the class system was such that people weren’t outraged to get justice. It was clear that Wooten wasn’t well liked but he was murdered in their office! I think also they were worried about job security and they may have suspected Terrance or Terry Young. The clerk was the only one giving Frank info. Add their attitudes toward the police and nobody seemed to care about finding the killer.

Phrynne | 601 comments I am currently reading the Molly Murphy series by Rhys Bowen and she describes the New York police in exactly the same way. Also the fact that the poor were so very, very poor and keeping your job once you got it was essential for survival.

Why rock the boat? They had a job that paid well and it was none of their business.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Yes, this all adds up for that time, sad to say, isn't it?

It really is, Charlene.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments It is terrible that people couldn't trust the police to do their jobs!

That said, the impression I got was the Wooten wasn't popular and no one was desperate for justice for him.

2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rhys Bowen (other topics)