Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Lu's 2019 "TBR of Shame" Old & New Classics Challenge

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana Luisa (last edited Dec 09, 2018 08:57AM) (new)

Ana Luisa (analureads) | 59 comments I'll be using the challenge this year to try and clear out the classics that have been sitting on my TBR for at least a year.

1899 and earlier
1. Moby-Dick or, The Whale by Herman Melville (1851)
2. Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne (1864)
3. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (1877)

1900-1999
4. Embers by Sándor Márai (1942)
5. Territory of Light by Yuko Tsushima (1979)
6. Boyhood: Scenes from Provincial Life by J.M. Coetzee (1997)

My Wild Card Six
7. Papéis Avulsos by Machado de Assis (1882)
8. 1984 by George Orwell (1949)
9. The Skating Rink by Roberto Bolaño (1993)
10. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2001)
11. Red Clocks by Leni Zumas (2018)
12. Normal People by Sally Rooney (2018)

Alternates
A-1. The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (1905)
A-2. Swann's Way by Marcel Proust (1913)

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1630 comments Love your challenge title and I love the diversity of your books. I've never heard of some. I hope to read Normal People next year since all I've heard are good things. Best of luck with your challenge!

message 3: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments Interesting choices, Lu! I've read five of yours, one of which was "Red Clocks." It's different but I really enjoyed it. I hope you do too.
Have a good time reading in 2019! :)

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Good luck with your challenge, of the books I have read I found Anna Karenina and The Shadow of the Wind to be especially good reads.

message 5: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments Interesting list! I liked The Shadow of the Wind as well. I think it's a book written for book lovers.

I want to read Anna Karenina next year as well :).

I had never heard of Machado de Asis until a few months back and suddenly his name keeps popping up everywhere. I wonder if that's a sign, ha.

message 6: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Ah, the TBR of shame, I know it well. lol

It's a good list you have there. Like others have said, The Shadow of the Wind is really good. Jules Verne is always entertaining, and 1984 is basically a must-read. Moby Dick and Anna Karenina are definitely on my own TBR of shame, and I think Sherlock Holmes and Swann's Way are making their way there as well.

Good luck!