Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Chit Chat & All That > Berkeley - The Books of the Century

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jehona (last edited Dec 09, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

Jehona | 182 comments I found this list a while ago, but I was just reminded of it (by one of the moderators, if I'm not mistaken) so I am starting this thread to share this list with everybody. This is a list that includes the best sellers in fiction and nonfiction, as well as critically acclaimed and historically significant books for every year from 1900 to 1999. It is interesting to compare the books that attracted more readers to those that were valued by critics and historians. It could be used to build different challenges such as:
~ Best sellers of the year you were born;
~ Critically acclaimed and historically significant books of the year you were born;
~ Best sellers of the century (one best seller for every year, or, if you are feeling adventurous, all the best sellers of the century);
~ Critically acclaimed books of the century (one per year, or all);
~ Book-of-the-month Club selections, only available for some years (one per year, or all).
This list can be used for browsing for other challenges as well.

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~immer/b...

message 2: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Cool list!

message 3: by Patty (new)

Patty | 77 comments I can’t wait to go through this list!

message 4: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 65 comments Jehona wrote: "I found this list a while ago, but I was just reminded of it (by one of the moderators, if I'm not mistaken) so I am starting this thread to share this list with everybody. This is a list that incl..."
Some excellent ideas here!

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Oh my. I could spend a lot of time with this list. Thanks for sharing it, Jehona!

message 6: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2432 comments Jehona wrote: "I found this list a while ago, but I was just reminded of it (by one of the moderators, if I'm not mistaken) so I am starting this thread to share this list with everybody. This is a list that incl..."

Thanks for this link, Jehona! I'm going to need some time to go through it. I love lists like this! :)