Around the World in 80 Books discussion

TBR Takedown > Challenge Rules

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Dec 05, 2020 12:24PM) (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Thanks to the Reading 1001 group, who granted permission to me to use this challenge.

Rules
For this challenge, you will create a list of 24 world books you would like to read that are set in a country other than your own and number them from 1-24. Each month a random number will be selected. You will read the book that corresponds to that number. Books can only be read during that month and cannot be read earlier or later for points.

No substitutions to your list will be allowed after January 1, 2021. On June 1, each participant will be allowed to switch out 6 of the books for new TBR books.

Points are cumulative. If you miss a month, you will start the next month at 1 point. In order to claim your points, you will read the book in the designated month and post a short review in your personal thread.

Scoring is as follows:
1 point each for reading 1st and 2nd book
2 points each for 3rd and 4th book
3 points each for 5th and 6th book
4 points each for 7th and 8th book
5 points each for books 9-12

Steps:
1. Start a thread in this topic and make a list of 24 world books set in a country other than your own. (You may edit this list as much as you like until the end of the year. On 1/1/2021 it will be considered set, and no more editing will be allowed).

2. Read and review the book that corresponds to the selected number of the month and start collecting your points!

The best part? You only have to read 12 books in a year! All from your TBR pile, too. What's not to love?

message 2: by Odette (new)

Odette (odman) | 202 comments Do the books chosen all have to be from different countries (other than your own) or can I choose a number of books from the same country. Say, 3 from Russia, 2 from Spain etc.?

message 3: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Dec 19, 2018 07:10PM) (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Odette wrote: "Do the books chosen all have to be from different countries (other than your own) or can I choose a number of books from the same country. Say, 3 from Russia, 2 from Spain etc.?"

There can be multiple books from one country or spread across a variety of countries.

message 4: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 17 comments I am about to post my list, but I have a couple that are travel across a continent, 1 Africa, 1 South America. Do these count?

message 5: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Linda C wrote: "I am about to post my list, but I have a couple that are travel across a continent, 1 Africa, 1 South America. Do these count?"

Absolutely.

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison (alik81) | 3 comments I've only just joined this book group and would love to take part in this challenge -am I too late to join?
Cheers

message 7: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Alison wrote: "I've only just joined this book group and would love to take part in this challenge -am I too late to join?
Cheers"

You can still join. Just skip the numbers 9 & 10 when creating your list.

message 8: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 11 comments Umm can i join in please?

message 9: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Aurora wrote: "Umm can i join in please?"

Yes. Just leave the first skip the numbers for the first two months in your list and leave them blank.

message 10: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 11 comments Am curious: we will only do 12 books in a year. Why do we have to have 24 books then?

message 11: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Time to create your lists for 2021. Same rules apply.

message 12: by Simone (new)

Simone (simonec75) | 30 comments In May, the number will land me on a book which I have read already. What do I do now? I can't choose another one until June, right? Or can I just replace it with a different book?

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 293 comments Simone wrote: "In May, the number will land me on a book which I have read already. What do I do now? I can't choose another one until June, right? Or can I just replace it with a different book?"

You’ll have to decide this conundrum yourself. I would just replace the book - switch up your list a month early. I now keep this list handy so I don’t end up in this situation. It’s happens though.

See you around the forum!