Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Dennis Meredith
This topic is about Dennis Meredith
Author Chat! > Learn from well known authors

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) | 189 comments 10 Lessons To Learn From Prominent Writers

A terrific article from, Just Publishing Advice.

https://justpublishingadvice.com/10-l...

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 1239 comments Mod
Loved it. Good advice!

message 3: by C. (last edited Dec 09, 2018 07:55AM) (new)

C. Gold | 62 comments I kind of destroyed the first list item right off the bat. To be fair though, the first idea I worked on kept trying to turn into majorly epic fantasy with multiple groups, multiple PoVs. I set that bit aside (60k or so words!) and thought, I'll stick to two PoVs and keep it small. Snorts. 102k words later, I published it. So, I guess don't be afraid to write something large, but I do like the advice of starting with something simpler rather than trying to write a Brandon Sanderson 10 book epic fantasy series.

I definitely nail #3 - read a lot. I've been a reading addict since I was reading One Fish, Two Fish! I think this is the most helpful point that article makes. I see so many writers who don't know what readers expect in their genre and they write stuff that isn't to market (which is fine), but then they wonder why they aren't selling. Besides, reading is fun and it gives me a lot of ideas for things I'd like to write.

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread