The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Chat > How many of you....

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 40916 comments Mod
have tons of free or low cost ebooks on you ereader??

Are you interested in a challenge to help you read them?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have TONS! but I already use them for my challenges

message 3: by Bonita (new)

Bonita | 694 comments I am interested! I have a terrible time actually choosing them even if they fit a challenge. I don't have tons, though. That could change if I knew I would be needing them - they would be free or cheap after all...

message 4: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3367 comments I have a ton, but that's only because I "bought" them years ago when I first got my Kindle. Now I just need to go through them and delete the ones I know I'll never read. Not sure a challenge would help with that--I tend to look at the latter part of my TBR list since that more closely reflects my reading taste now.

message 5: by Katharine (new)

Katharine | 238 comments I am the same as Connie. In fact, I moved about 8 months ago and have yet to find my Kindle (GASP!). At least I have them on my phone, too. A challenge right now probably wouldn't interest me but possibly down the road.

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb | 1037 comments I have a lot of these books, but it seems that most of the ebooks I read lately are ARCs from NetGalley. If I could just stay away from NG for awhile, I'd do better with reading all these other books!

message 7: by JoAnne (new)

OK, I'll think of something else. I'm trying to think of a hook for a TBR challenge....

I use them if I need to find a specific word in a title for a challenge.

I need to find the letters NAKED in a title. The few books I have with the word NAKED in the title don't appeal to me so I started looking for MAKE with a N and D... found quite a few.

message 8: by JoAnne (new)

Barb wrote: "I have a lot of these books, but it seems that most of the ebooks I read lately are ARCs from NetGalley. If I could just stay away from NG for awhile, I'd do better with reading all these other books!"

Do you give a review after you have read the book? I read a book for an author and she was offended by my review. I guess I didn't get the point of the book.

message 9: by JoAnne (new)

Rosa wrote: "I have TONS! but I already use them for my challenges"

I have noticed!!

message 10: by JoAnne (new)

Katharine wrote: "I am the same as Connie. In fact, I moved about 8 months ago and have yet to find my Kindle (GASP!). At least I have them on my phone, too. A challenge right now probably wouldn't interest me but p..."

I have a Kindle Fire but I don't care for it. I read on my laptop thru the kindle app.

message 11: by JoAnne (new)

In the other group that I am mod in, I am doing a variation of FLOAB's Discovery Bookshelf for next year.

I think I will make some of my cheap or free books on the shelf to choose from.

message 12: by Barb (new)

Barb | 1037 comments JoAnne wrote: "Barb wrote: "I have a lot of these books, but it seems that most of the ebooks I read lately are ARCs from NetGalley."

Do you give a review after you have read the book? I read a book for an author and she was offended by my review. I guess I didn't get the point of the book."

Yes, I do. It's not a requirement, but if you don't provide feedback, you eventually stop getting approved for books. I've never had an author get nasty with me over a review; guess I've been lucky :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

JoAnne wrote: "Rosa wrote: "I have TONS! but I already use them for my challenges"

I have noticed!!"

lol

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

JoAnne wrote: "

I need to find the letters NAKED i..."

I kind of wonder what kind of challenge you're doing, lol

The "naked" books I could recommend would be Naked by David Sedaris and Naked Heat by Richard Castle (but that's a series 2). I've read Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby and though I did not care for it, I think my problem lies with the author and his writing style/sort of books in general so if you liked his other books (most I did not) you probably will like this one, too

message 15: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3367 comments JoAnne wrote: "In the other group that I am mod in, I am doing a variation of FLOAB's Discovery Bookshelf for next year.

I think I will make some of my cheap or free books on the shelf to choose from."

Oh, I'll be very interested in checking that out. I've enjoyed the Discovery Bookshelf challenge, but I'm getting a little tired of it and am trying to come up with something similar. Guess I'll wait to see what you're creating.

message 16: by JoAnne (new)

Connie N. wrote: "JoAnne wrote: "In the other group that I am mod in, I am doing a variation of FLOAB's Discovery Bookshelf for next year.

I think I will make some of my cheap or free books on the shelf to choose f..."

It's basically the same except you spin the wheel....I am trying to think of something for this group....banging my head against the wall....

message 17: by JoAnne (new)

QUESTION: Do you like to spin the wheel to decide???

message 18: by Connie N. (last edited Dec 13, 2018 07:51AM) (new)

Connie N. | 3367 comments Oh, I was thinking of doing the same thing (spinning the wheel), JoAnne, but on my own this year. The problem is the timing. I'm often impatient for the spin if I finish the book early...or if I'm behind or on vacation or something, then I have a hard time catching up (if I've made a commitment for all 52 weeks). The other downside with the current system--I don't like a Sunday night/Monday morning spin. It starts out my week with a commitment that I often can't get to until the weekend, then I have to hurry to complete it.

The problem with doing this challenge on my own is that there's a potential lack of commitment. If it's not a public forum, then I suspect I'll push this challenge to the bottom of my list.

Would you have each person spin their own book, on their time schedule? Or would everyone spin on the same day? Or would you have a group spin, announcing it each week? There might be variations there.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 13, 2018 10:18AM) (new)

JoAnne wrote: "QUESTION: Do you like to spin the wheel to decide???"

I'm not quite sure what we're talking about - would it be like "read the ?? number book on your TBR" ? or would there be several books and the spin is to decide which one would to be read?

(I like the first mode, but I don't like challenges where I have to read a specific book (like listopia tasks) because I hardly ever have access to those books)

message 20: by JoAnne (new)

Rosa,
We are referring to this challenge but for 2018 DISCOVERY BOOKSHELF 2019

I'm trying to think of a TBR challenge for this group besides the monthly Clean It Out.

message 21: by JoAnne (new)

Connie N. wrote: "Oh, I was thinking of doing the same thing (spinning the wheel), JoAnne, but on my own this year. The problem is the timing. I'm often impatient for the spin if I finish the book early...or if I'm ..."

My problem with Discovery is that Brittany has the Weekly Call out and sometimes she does it late. I think she's on the west coast.

I have gotten behind when I had to wait for a library book to come in but I have gotten my self caught up.

I'm starting to think about 2 different TBR challenges....
maybe a MUCH easier one where you put a certain amount of books into a special shelf and then you just read what you want but try to keep to the commitment you decide on. But with some kind of twist!

message 22: by JoAnne (new)

I just thought I'd better get it in gear if I want to start in January! LOL

message 23: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3367 comments JoAnne wrote: "I just thought I'd better get it in gear if I want to start in January! LOL"

Yup, time's a-flyin'!

message 24: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3367 comments JoAnne wrote: "My problem with Discovery is that Brittany has the Weekly Call out and sometimes she does it late. I think she's on the west coast.

Yeah, that's a problem for me too.

message 25: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3367 comments JoAnne wrote: "Rosa,
We are referring to this challenge but for 2018 DISCOVERY BOOKSHELF 2019

I'm trying to think of a TBR challenge for this group besides the monthly Clean It Out."

What I love about the Discovery Bookshelf challenge is that I can pick the books I'm choosing from, even making changes on my shelf from week to week depending on what other challenges I have coming up soon. So I know for a fact that I'll want to read any or all of the books on my list--but this challenge gives me a push on which one to read first.

message 26: by JoAnne (new)

I'll work on it tomorrow! I have everything ready for January so I have time. I have been working on February's challenges.

message 27: by JoAnne (new)

I signed up for 2019 just now but for 26 books. Sometimes I just don't have enough days in week! LOL

I will be signing up for 52 Crimes 52 Weeks again in Precinct 81. I couldn't always get some of their books because many were European and not available through my various sources.

message 28: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3367 comments JoAnne wrote: "I'll work on it tomorrow! I have everything ready for January so I have time. I have been working on February's challenges."

LOL, now you're just showing off! But I'll be watching to see what's in store for us for the new year.

message 29: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3367 comments JoAnne wrote: "I signed up for 2019 just now but for 26 books. Sometimes I just don't have enough days in week! LOL

I will be signing up for 52 Crimes 52 Weeks again in Precinct 81. I couldn't always get some o..."

I haven't joined the Precinct 81 group. I figure I don't read as many mysteries as other genres, so I haven't checked it out.

message 30: by JoAnne (new)

Connie N. wrote: "JoAnne wrote: "I'll work on it tomorrow! I have everything ready for January so I have time. I have been working on February's challenges."

LOL, now you're just showing off! But I'll be watching t..."

No! I have to work ahead or it doesn't get done. It's kinda like my creative outlet right now. No cross stitch or knitting being done because the dogs would get into my stuff so I put it away for now.

message 31: by Connie N. (last edited Dec 13, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

Connie N. | 3367 comments No complaints here. Your challenge creations are always fun and interesting.

message 32: by JoAnne (new)

Thanks!!

message 33: by JoAnne (new)

WOW that's large!!

message 34: by Penni (new)

Penni | 1287 comments Mod
Lol. Extra
Happy.

message 35: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 3367 comments LOL, you've obviously got extra time on your hands! But I'm glad you're super happy.

message 36: by JoAnne (new)

Haha! Wish I was as thin as her!

message 37: by Barb (new)

Barb | 1037 comments JoAnne wrote: "I'm trying to think of a TBR challenge for this group besides the monthly Clean It Out."

Could you take the Clean It Out challenge and expand it somehow to make it longer? Are you looking for a year-long challenge, or something in between yearly and monthly?

message 38: by JoAnne (new)

Barb wrote: "JoAnne wrote: "I'm trying to think of a TBR challenge for this group besides the monthly Clean It Out."

Could you take the Clean It Out challenge and expand it somehow to make it longer? Are you l..."

I have 2 ideas that I'm working on..... not sure where they will end up.