The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) The Blade Itself question

Books without a happy ending (evil wins, twist, etc)
Leslie Frank Leslie Dec 06, 2018 12:51PM
I’m looking for books without a happy ending, I definitely prefer fantasy (including dystopia, alternate history, etc) or horror. Feel free to link to a list also. I’d prefer adult fiction rather than young adult but I’m pretty open.

I want the kind of book the makes most people angry. For example, you finish the last book in ASOIAF, daenerys (or whoever the fan fav becomes) finally wins, only to be mauled by a boar in the last chapter. The end. Another example might be the end of The Mist.

Not necessarily that, even something without the stereotypical happy ending and good wins over evil. For example, I started reading Armageddon children but gave up fast because I wanted to root for the demons to destroy the world lol

I root for good in my everyday life, I want to indulge my cynical, dark side in books, help me out?

Books without happy ending:

1. ASPECT EMPEROR SERIES by, R Scott Bakker. You can never go wrong with that. I promise you, you'll like it. Get it now!
2. Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks
3. Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Not necessarily, when they majority of books I read end up with a happy ending I just expect it at this point, it’s like a spoiler by default. I’ve gotten a few suggestions on reddit after not having much luck here and it didn’t make the books any less interesting

Zedsdead (last edited Apr 15, 2019 11:42AM ) Apr 15, 2019 09:37AM   0 votes
Leslie, would you be willing to share the suggestions you got on reddit? Or any others you may have come across?

[Edit: Thanks!]

[Edit2: I love this topic. I got sick to death of happy endings long ago. Thanks for posting this thread.]

Have you read any of these?

Bitter Seeds--WW2 alternate history with a scifi component
Watchmen--if you'd ever consider a graphic novel. it's adult.
Underground Airlines--alternate history: Lincoln was assassinated earlier and chattel slavery persists into the 21st century.
The Magicians--urban fantasy; often described as Harry Potter for grownups. this gets very grim.
Snowfall--dystopian; a small hunting clan flees genocide in a post-technological ice age earth
The Steel Remains--Angry-making grimdark fantasy. I found parts of this hard to follow but it does hold together when it's explained at the end of the trilogy.

The problem with this question is that any answer will spoil the ending of whatever book gets mentioned.