Support for Indie Authors discussion

Physical Book Publishing > Post-publishing etiquette: A copy for my editor?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bee (new)

Bee Monarch | 10 comments Hi everyone,

I've just published my paperback and its Kindle version. I'm wondering if I should send a copy of either one to my editor? What's the general practice? I did work really well with my editor and mentioned her in the acknowledgements. Curious to see what others do. Thanks in advance!

message 2: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I think it's an individual choice. Nothing forces you to do it. There is no right or wrong.

That said, I did send a few copies of each book to my editor after I published them. It felt right to me.

message 3: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 17 comments Hi Bee,

I'd definitely say this is a personal choice. I'm both an author and an editor so see it from both sides! I sent my editor a copy of my books but she asked for first dibs once they were published! Then again, as an editor, although I've been acknowledged in many books as the editor, I've never been sent a copy once the author published their book :(

It's a lovely thought to do so though :)

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg MacDonald | 2 comments As others have said, it's an individual choice, but I know I'll be doing it. I'm also planning to send one to my cover artist--if I can get a physical address--and to my first beta reader overseas. These folks gave me so much it seems like a small thing for me to do to thank them personally. Come to think of it, I should send one to my interior designer, too. That poor man put up with a lot of changes at the 11th hour. haha

message 5: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Youngblood (dmyoungblood) | 6 comments I sent a copy of my paperback to each of my 3 beta readers, my editor, and my cover artist. I also sent a "swag bag" with bookmarks, magnets, coasters based on a location named in my book, either a necklace or earrings based on the cover motif (since I also make jewelry I made them myself), and other assorted goodies. I inscribed each book with a short paragraph thanking them for their contributions. Everyone loved their special gifts, and when I release my next book I'll have a high bar to meet or exceed. LOL

message 6: by Bee (new)

Bee Monarch | 10 comments Thank you all for your thoughts. I feel that it's just right to send a copy to my editor and a few others who helped to make the book a reality. Their help meant a lot.

message 7: by Bee (new)

Bee Monarch | 10 comments D.M. wrote: "I sent a copy of my paperback to each of my 3 beta readers, my editor, and my cover artist. I also sent a "swag bag" with bookmarks, magnets, coasters based on a location named in my book, either a..."

That's a wonderful touch! I'm not surprised that the recipients appreciated your thoughtfulness. Good luck with your next book!

message 8: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Youngblood (dmyoungblood) | 6 comments Bee wrote: "Thank you all for your thoughts. I feel that it's just right to send a copy to my editor and a few others who helped to make the book a reality. Their help meant a lot."

Thank you so much! :-)

message 9: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Youngblood (dmyoungblood) | 6 comments Bee wrote: "D.M. wrote: "I sent a copy of my paperback to each of my 3 beta readers, my editor, and my cover artist. I also sent a "swag bag" with bookmarks, magnets, coasters based on a location named in my b..."

Oops replied to the wrong post. Need more coffee ...

Thank you Bee! And best of sales to your book release! :-)

message 10: by Bee (new)

Bee Monarch | 10 comments D.M. wrote: "And best of sales to your book release.."

Thanks DM, and I wish you much success with Book Two!

message 11: by Nat (last edited Feb 20, 2019 09:39AM) (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments My experience is different. For my trad published book, I had a book launch and my beta readers and friends bought it. It was a nice party. Perhaps my publisher gave my editor a free copy post edits, but I don't think so. I know the cover artist read it before he made the cover, and I'm sure he got a copy of the book because his art is on it. But, just an assumption.

For my self-published books, I acknowledge my betas, because they did a thing for me free and if they wanted a copy, I'd give them one. But my editors, who I paid, I haven't given them a free copy, not that they asked, either.

I guess it never crossed my mind to give my stuff to someone I've paid to do a service. And I kinda doubt, after editing it once, they were going to re-read it again.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Norbury (chrisnorbury) | 40 comments I can't imagine a cover designer or editor would expect a free copy of a book since they are paid for their services. In what other professions would that occur? I can't think of any offhand.

If the spirit moves you to give your pros a gift, fine. But I'd hate for it to become an expected "tradition." If they really want a copy, charge me $15 bucks more to allow for that cost.

Chris

message 13: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Rines | 21 comments No tradition for me, I will get my editor a copy to read mainly because I'd like to let him see what the finished product inside and out looks like. They don't expect it or anything like that, I make the choice to do so.