Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Splendid (The Splendid Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Splendid
Gaol/BOTM > BOTM- January, 2019 - Splendid

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Discussion thread for the January,2019 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions.)

Happy Reading!

Splendid
Splendid (The Splendid Trilogy, #1) by Julia Quinn

There are two things everyone knows about Alexander Ridgely. One, he's the Duke of Ashbourne. And two, he has no plans to marry anytime soon...

That is until a redheaded American throws herself in front of a carriage to save his young nephew's life. She's everything Alex never thought a woman could be—smart and funny, principled and brave. But she's a servant, completely unsuitable for a highborn duke—unless, perhaps, she's not quite what she seems...

American heiress Emma Dunster might be surrounded by Englishmen, but that doesn't mean she intends to marry one—even if she has agreed to participate in one London Season. When she slipped out of her cousins' home, dressed as a kitchen maid, all she wanted was one last taste of anonymity before her debut. She never dreamed she'd find herself in the arms of a dangerously handsome duke... or that he'd be quite so upset when he discovered her true identity. But true love tends to blossom just when one least expects it, and passion can melt even the most stubborn of hearts.

message 2: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
I believe this is Julia Quinn's first published novel.

message 3: by Tanya (new) - added it

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I'm excited and nervous about reading this. On one hand I absolutely love Julia Quinn, but on the other when I last one of her older books Mr. Cavendish, I Presume it didn't go so well.

But I've heard good things about this book so *fingers crossed*

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I read this a couple of years ago and I don't recall why I gave an average rating. I am definitely joining in the group read and see if I like it any better this time.

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I believe this is Julia Quinn's first published novel."

Yes.

message 6: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments Interesting. It’s actually pretty good for a first book.
One of the reasons I love Julia Quinn is b/c most of her books have these characteristics which I love:
Humor, engaging characters, good chemistry b/w the leads, good dialogue, strong female characters.

message 7: by Geri (new)

Geri I’ll join on this one. I have read plenty of Quinn but not this book or series!

message 8: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments If u like her you’ll like this series.

Sally906 I have this one ready to go

Melissa | 234 comments I’m in.

message 11: by Geri (new)

Geri Jenna wrote: "If u like her you’ll like this series."

That’s good to know! A few of Quinn’s newer books I did not like as much as her older books. But since this is her first published book, I should enjoy it!

message 12: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments Sorry u didn’t like her newer stuff. Look at her earlier historical romances. The rock!

message 13: by Geri (new)

Geri Jenna wrote: "Sorry u didn’t like her newer stuff. Look at her earlier historical romances. The rock!"

I looked up Quinn’s books. I think the one I had the most trouble with was Ten Things I Love About You. For some reason I didn’t feel any chemistry between the MCs. My first book by Quinn was The Duke and I. Loved the Bridgerton series. I notice I haven’t rated a lot of Quinn books. Must have read them before goodreads. So I may have to add Quinn to my series Challenge this year!

message 14: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments Yeah..I vaguely remember not being too keen on that one too.
Bridgertons is the best historical series ever! But she has spin-offs from that one: rokesbury, smythe-Smith, etc.
I also read a lot before I started doing GR.

Mariana | 2261 comments The Smythe-Smith quartet is my favorite!

message 16: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments It’s a cute one.

message 17: by Geri (new)

Geri It looks like I have only read book 4 in the Smythe-Smith Quartet. I’ll have to read the others!

message 18: by Shaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaz | 730 comments I read and enjoyed the Bridgerton and Smythe-Smith series. And the Two Dukes of Wyndham.
I already have Splended in my book collection, also the Minx , which is book 3 in the Splendid series.

I read that Netflix is supposed to be making a series of the Bridgerton's.

message 19: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments Yes. It’s being done by shonda rhymes. She’s known for her Thursday nite shows on abc. (Greys anatomy)
Not sure if I’ll watc h though as ima big fan of the books and it’s never as good, plus she may make the show too soap operas instead of clever like the books.
Anyone else’s thoughts?

message 20: by Geri (new)

Geri I had no idea Netflix was making a series of the Bridgertons! I will likely watch it. I doubt I have the willpower to resist. LOL

message 21: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments :)

message 22: by Shaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaz | 730 comments I will watch it , hope it keeps to the books, though I don't hold out ,that it will.
It will be different, than the remake after remake of aIl the other historical tv programs.

message 23: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments Good point.
I’m sure it’ll be very popular.

message 24: by Geri (last edited Jan 01, 2019 08:54AM) (new)

Geri I got an early start. The book is going to be a quick one for me. I am through chapter 9 so far. At first I thought it was sweet. But I had a problem with Chapter 5. (view spoiler) I’d be curious about what others think about what happened. It took me out of the story a bit and ruined my enjoyment for a minute. I am moving on, though, and continuing the book!

Happy New Year!

message 25: by Shaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaz | 730 comments I will start to read Splended tonight. Happy reading to everyone taking part in this book read.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.

message 26: by Gil (last edited Jan 02, 2019 07:28AM) (new)

Gil | 6 comments I'm sad to say that Julia Quinn's books don't always work for me - the only Bridgerton novel I've really liked was The Viscount Who Loved Me - but she is a really talented author. Her banter is the best. I'd like to keep trying, though, so I'll start this one.

Happy new year!

message 27: by Cath (new)

Cath | 283 comments Geri wrote: "I got an early start. The book is going to be a quick one for me. I am through chapter 9 so far. At first I thought it was sweet. But I had a problem with Chapter 5. [spoilers removed] I’d be curio..."

Started this a week ago, and I, too, had a problem with Chapt 5, but also with Chapt 4, and pretty much just the portrayal of the H in general. Feels to me like his temperament or personality is a little bit all over the place. Also I wish there'd been a bit of his backstory provided prior to his meeting the h.

Anyway, I put the book aside last week, but I'm going to go back and re-read the first 5 chapters and then keep going. Sometimes if something's not working for me and I take a quick break, and then go back, it hits me a little differently the next try!

message 28: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments Good point.

Meredith | 13 comments I have been sortof following the group read but this is my first post. I had Splendid and just read it. So I am in luck with this month's read.
I liked it but did not love it. I loved the Bridgerton series and I think I am with the part of the group that likes later Quinn more than earlier Quinn. My copy of Splendid clocks in at almost 400 pages and I found myself skimming parts of it. Pretty good for a first novel, however.

message 30: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments Agree. Good points.

message 31: by Shaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaz | 730 comments I have enjoyed the humour in the book. I sometime feel like hitting Alex over the head. But then think he's ok. Will be reading again later, up to chapter 15.

message 32: by Geri (new)

Geri Darbella wrote: "I think chapter 4 and 5 is the authors way of showing us what a scroundrel he is and how even from the beginning Alex is fighting his attraction to Emma. I liked chapter five (though not all of his..."

I put the book aside too. But will pick it up again. I agree, I probably have to look at the book in the time it was written. For me, Alex crossed the line into too much of a scoundrel. But I’ll see if I can get over it and enjoy the rest of the book.

message 33: by Geri (new)

Geri Meredith wrote: "I have been sortof following the group read but this is my first post. I had Splendid and just read it. So I am in luck with this month's read.
I liked it but did not love it. I loved the Bridgert..."

Hi Meredith! I guess I have to remind myself this is Quinn’s first book. I first read the Bridgerton series too. She obviously learned a thing or two in her later books!

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Darbella wrote: "Started this book today and already I had a chuckle. In the dedcation part I thought it was funny that Paul, her husband, wanted the title of this first book of hers to be Splendid in the Grass. LOL"

Her dedications are funny:)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I haven't started reading this, yet. I might start it in the next week.

Debby*BabyDee | 659 comments Starting this one today and hope it is a good one.😊

message 37: by Geri (new)

Geri Darbella - I finished the book and read your spoiler. I agree with you on all points. And LOL on why Alex did not want to get married. This wasn’t a favorite book by Quinn for me. Not as good as her later books.

message 38: by Shaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaz | 730 comments I have finished reading this book, and enjoyed it. I have the 3rd in the Splendid series. MINX, Which is about Alex's, friend Dunford. I will read this next while the characters are still fresh in my mind lol.

message 39: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments Darbella wrote: "Geri, I know right ?! LOL
I have finished rereading this book and I liked it. I think I will always have a soft spot for Julia Quinn historical romance novels. The humour, the side characters, and..."

I agree with u both. I’m also a big fan of quinn.

message 40: by Tanya (new) - added it

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Priya wrote: "I haven't started reading this, yet. I might start it in the next week."

Same here, I have the booked loaded up on my kindle. Will probably start next week.

Trying (but failing) to stay away from the spoilers.

Mariana | 2261 comments I just now finally read the prologue. I literally laughed out loud. I think this may have the JQ humor along with the special uniqueness that can come with a first novel.

message 42: by Debby*BabyDee (last edited Jan 09, 2019 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debby*BabyDee | 659 comments Just finished this last night. I started as an audible which was not so good at all and turned to just reading. I thought as an earlier novel it did have its funny moments. (view spoiler)

Sally906 Finished reading this yesterday - what fun. Like Debby was a bit bemused the baddie waited so long to make his move - the threat was there all along - he was a sleazy, sleazy man (view spoiler)

Overall, I loved it - Alex and Emma were a lovely couple, she a delightful mixture of innocence and boldness. I was angry with him when he called her a B**ch mid book - but once it was all explained I forgave him, as did Emma.

I have the next two books in the series - Belle's story in the next one and Dunford in the third. Will certainly read them :)

message 44: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna | 190 comments Yeah!🤗

Mariana | 2261 comments Geri wrote: "I got an early start. The book is going to be a quick one for me. I am through chapter 9 so far. At first I thought it was sweet. But I had a problem with Chapter 5. [spoilers removed] I’d be curio..."

I completely agree! I loved it up until that scene. I just can't like Alex.

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Geri wrote: "I got an early start. The book is going to be a quick one for me. I am through chapter 9 so far. At first I thought it was sweet. But I had a problem with Chapter 5. [spoilers removed] I’d be curio..."

I agree with you. I felt Alex is domineering. It is good that Emma is strong and assertive and not always bending to him.

Mariana | 2261 comments I did continue and finished. I just have had time to post my thoughts or a review. They are certainly mixed.

Mariana | 2261 comments I loved the beginning. The interactions between Emma and her cousins and family were engaging and funny. However, I definitely agree with JQ's introduction that her first book is "not as polished," especially the first meeting between the H/h. I never could truly like Alex. Overall, I rate it 3 stars.

☘Katie☘ | 36 comments I'm a little late for this BOTM,... I just started reading Splendid yesterday, (I had to finish MacLean's Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord ) but the prologue already drew me in! I know there is no way I'm going to finish this book by this evening, but I've had this one on my TBR shelf for a long time and really want to read it. I love the idea about an American heiress landing a duke, and a mistaken identity thrown in!

I discovered Julia Quinn with her Bridgertons series--- started with The Duke and I and fell in love with Quinn's use of humor, which I can already see in Splendid. My favourite book of Quinn's though has been The Viscount Who Loved Me, that book was amazing! I know Quinn has said that Splendid isn't as polished, but I'm still hoping it makes it up there with Viscount! :)

message 50: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
♥Katie wrote: "I'm a little late for this BOTM,... I just started reading Splendid yesterday, (I had to finish MacLean's Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord ) but the prologue already drew m..."

Love the optimism! Hope you enjoy!

« previous 1