THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Adding a pic to a post

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Houseman (paulahouseman) | 8 comments Hi, I posted the following question in the librarians' group but was directed to the feedback group. I'm not sure I'm putting this in the appropriate folder, though.
I've been looking through various discussions to try and figure out how to add an image to a post. I've tried the suggestions and haven't had much luck. At best, when I preview, I get a broken icon showing, but mostly, it's just an error message.
Someone suggested adding images under edit profile. I've managed to do this successfully, but can't figure out how to move that image across to a post.
I'd appreciate your help with this, but please bear in mind that I'm technologically-challenged!

message 2: by Eric (last edited Dec 05, 2018 01:14PM) (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 178 comments Paula,

First, you have to have your image stored online somewhere. There are some free sites like imgur.com, as well as pay sites like Photobucket. When you upload a picture to imgur, for example, and open it, to the right you'll see a series of links. One is called a "direct link". There's a "copy" icon next to it. Click the icon and it puts the online location of that image into memory.

Go to your post at GR.

The HTML code to add a picture is:

< img src[equals sign]" " >

I had to put a lot of extras in there to avoid this post having an error message.

From left to right: left arrow ("uppercase" for the comma")/no space/img/space/src/no space/equal sign/nospace/doublequote mark/no space/doublequote mark/no space/right arrow ("uppercase for the period").

Put your cursor between the two quote marks, and paste the "address" of your image. Alternatively, type everything up to the first doublequote mark, paste the image address,then finish off with the doublequote mark/no space/right arrow. Remember, though, to be sure there is no space between the end of the image URL/address and the doublequote mark...or error message.

If all goes well, the image will appear. If not, you go back to edit post and figure out what happened.

Sometimes you've picked the wrong address for the image out of the possible choices. Sometimes even though you clicked "copy" at the image site, it didn't go into memory properly, so you try again.

Sometimes it's just a typo. If everything else is correct, but, for example, you typed "scr" instead of "src" you'll get an error message. And sometimes you swear up and down to yourself you know it was typed right, and then when you look at it letter by letter, you find the mistake.

Hope this helps.

Eric

message 3: by Paula (last edited Dec 06, 2018 01:16AM) (new)

Paula Houseman (paulahouseman) | 8 comments Eric wrote: "Paula,

First, you have to have your image stored online somewhere. There are some free sites like imgur.com, as well as pay sites like Photobucket. When you upload a picture to imgur, for example,..."

Thanks so much for this in-depth explanation, Eric. It worked a treat!

JoAnn Lord Koff | 6 comments Helpful, thanks. You can have your photos stored on your iPad or phone, too.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Maeder | 4 comments I have my picture on my phone, but it won't take it because it wants a number attached to it.