Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Questions > Changing name on author profile and books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura A. Barton (lauraabarton) | 5 comments Hey guys. When I signed up for Goodreads eons ago, I was simply going by my first and last name. Since there are other authors that share my name, I've recently added my middle initial on my social media and I'd like to do that on Goodreads as well. I know I can change it on my profile myself, but will it be as simple as changing it on my books too so they all stay connected?

I remember one time before I inadvertently changed my name on here and it caused a bit of a kerfuffle, so I want to make sure I'm doing this right! It's currently Laura Barton (with the extra space), but I'd like it to be Laura A. Barton instead.

Profile: https://www.goodreads.com/LauraABarton
Books:
-https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
-https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Thanks. :)

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "I know I can change it on my profile myself, but will it be as simple as changing it on my books too so they all stay connected?"

Actually, what you need to do is change it on your edit profile page only. (Don't forget to clear out the two sorting field so they can automatically repopulate with your updated name.) That will change your profile and all attached books at once.

It's editing the name on the books separately that causes problems.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura A. Barton (lauraabarton) | 5 comments rivka wrote: "Actually, what you need to do is change it on your edit profile page only. (Don't forget to clear out the two sorting field so they can automatically repopulate with your updated name.)"

Thanks for replying, and sorry I missed it. I didn't get the notification for it for some reason. I'm not quite sure what you mean about what you said I need to do, in particular, the part of clearing the two sorting fields. Can you clarify, please? I want to make sure I do this right. :)

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Sorry, I was unclear.

There are three fields at the top of the edit page:

1) Name (this is where you will add your initial -- don't forget the dot!)
2) Sort-by Name (delete all content here and it will automatically repopulate correctly)
3) Shelf Display Name (delete all content here and it will automatically repopulate correctly)

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura A. Barton (lauraabarton) | 5 comments rivka wrote: "Sorry, I was unclear."

No worries! As I said, I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I followed those instructions and it looks like it was a success. My books are still attached to my profile and my author name is updated. Thanks so much! :)

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Looks good to me!

message 7: by Mary (last edited Mar 19, 2019 07:25PM) (new)

Mary Walker | 1 comments Hi Rivka -- My name is Mary Jane Walker. That's all fine on my book pages but in group discussions minus surname I become Mary. What can I do to become Mary Jane? Thanks, MJW.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Mary wrote: "Hi Rivka -- My name is Mary Jane Walker. That's all fine on my book pages but in group discussions minus surname I become Mary. What can I do to become Mary Jane? Thanks, MJW."

You'll need to use the Contact Us link on the Help page to request assistance with this.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.