The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Winter Challenge 2018 > 25.8 - Amy "the book-bat"'s Task: It's Cookie Time

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Dec 04, 2018 07:28PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4917 comments Mod
25.8 - Amy "the book-bat"'s Task: It's Cookie Time!

This is a TWO BOOK task. The combined total of pages must be at least 500 pages.

I have been a Girl Scout for over 40 years. I started in 1st grade as a Brownie and worked my way up through the ranks, eventually becoming a troop leader and even working at the council level. One of my biggest memories of being a Girl Scout is the annual cookie sale.
The cookie sale is the major fundraiser for troops to raise funds for activities such as camping or even travel. My troop earned enough money to take a trip to Mexico, and let me tell you, That's a lot of cookies!

Girl Scout cookies have been around in many different forms, beginning in 1917 when a troop in Muskogee, Oklahoma sold home baked cookies in their school cafeteria as a service project. In 1933, Girl Scouts of Greater Philadelphia became the first council to sell commercially baked cookies. By 1937, more than 125 Girl Scout councils were holding cookie sales. The cookie sale soon became adopted nationally and now thousands of troops across the United States sell cookies every February.

Book 1: Read a book that was first published in 1917, 1933, or 1937.

Currently, there are only two licensed bakers for Girl Scout Cookies, ABC Bakers and Little Brownie Bakers. There are three mandatory cookie flavors: shortbread, peanut butter sandwich, and Thin Mints. The companies also offer 4 or 5 additional flavors that may change from year to year. Recently, they added a gluten-free option.

Book 2: Read a book with a cookie on the cover. You may use the list Cookies on the Cover for inspiration. The book does not have to be on the list - this is just to give you some ideas. REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

message 2: by Amy the book-bat (last edited Jan 19, 2019 10:32AM) (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Acceptable/Approved covers:
Sweet Tea Revenge (A Tea Shop Mystery, #14) by Laura Childs Oh To Be In England by H.E. Bates Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #1) by Elisabeth Crabtree A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple #7) by Agatha Christie Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

message 3: by Amy the book-bat (last edited Dec 28, 2018 05:19PM) (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Some lists that may help with Book 1

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4917 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Do macarons count as cookies
Sweet Tea Revenge (A Tea Shop Mystery, #14) by Laura Childs

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Do macarons count as cookies
Sweet Tea Revenge (A Tea Shop Mystery, #14) by Laura Childs"

yes, they count

message 7: by Nicola (last edited Dec 06, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Does anyone have some suggestions for some more 'literary' sort of books with cookies on them? The standard fare on that cookie list doesn't really appeal, a bit too fluffy looking.

Maybe a juicy murder with a poisoned tea tray? :-)

message 8: by Nicola (last edited Dec 06, 2018 07:08AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Would these marshmallow teacakes? qualify. The OpenLibrary probably has that old fashioned cover that I can dig up.

Oh To Be In England by H.E. Bates

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Nicola wrote: "Would these marshmallow teacakes? qualify. The OpenLibrary probably has that old fashioned cover that I can dig up.

Oh To Be In England by H.E. Bates"

I'm guessing you are referring to the round chocolate things on the front plate? I'm not sure if those are cookies, but the wafer things on the same plate look like cookies to me, so I think that will work.

message 10: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments Would this work? I think some of the iced things along the bottom edge qualify as cookies, and perhaps the things on the second tier of that stand, which could be macarons, maybe.
Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates

message 11: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Brooke wrote: "Would this work? I think some of the iced things along the bottom edge qualify as cookies, and perhaps the things on the second tier of that stand, which could be macarons, maybe.
[bookcover:Browni..."

I think the ones on the table look like cookies. I loved this series, hope you enjoy it too :-)

message 12: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Amy "the book-bat" wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Would these marshmallow teacakes? qualify. The OpenLibrary probably has that old fashioned cover that I can dig up.

Oh To Be In England by H.E. Bates"

I'm guessing you are re..."

Great, thank you.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 677 comments Want to make sure this would work for Option 2 (that a fortune cookie works for this task):

The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick

message 14: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Want to make sure this would work for Option 2 (that a fortune cookie works for this task):

The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick"

fortune cookies are totally acceptable

message 15: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 713 comments Would you accept this as a cookie on the cover? The word "cookie" in the title is made of chocolate chip cookies.

The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #1) by Elisabeth Crabtree

message 16: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Any suggestions for book 1? I have no books in my library with those publication years.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7685 comments Agatha Christie had a few published in that time period; Georgette Heyer (on the romance side)

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7685 comments you can google books published in xx year and that will get you to a starting place

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily | 677 comments Erin (NY) wrote: "Any suggestions for book 1? I have no books in my library with those publication years."

I was planning on using Their Eyes Were Watching God (first published 1937)

message 20: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2561 comments Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

does this work cookies in the cabinet at the back

message 21: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

does this work cookies in the cabinet at the back"

yes, this will work.

message 22: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "Would you accept this as a cookie on the cover? The word "cookie" in the title is made of chocolate chip cookies.

The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #1) by Elisabeth Crabtree"

yes, I would accept that

message 23: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 713 comments Thank you Amy.

message 24: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Erin (NY) wrote: "Any suggestions for book 1? I have no books in my library with those publication years."

I was planning on using Their Eyes Were Watching God (first published 1937)"

That's the one I'm planning to read as well. I added some lists above that may help. There are plenty of really good books/authors to choose from :-)

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim | 664 comments Will these work for option 2?

At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11) by Agatha Christie Cookies on the bottom tray

A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7) by Agatha Christie

Thank you

message 26: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Kim wrote: "Will these work for option 2?

At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11) by Agatha Christie Cookies on the bottom tray

A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7) by Agatha Christie

Thank you"

I think the first one look more like cakes on the bottom tray than cookies, but the second book looks fine.

message 27: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments Does this work
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

message 28: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Louise wrote: "Does this work
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke"

Since the red things look like cookies with bites taken out, I think this cover will work.

message 29: by Louise (new)

Louise | 245 comments Thank you, that's what I thought to 😊