Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

For the Conversationalists > Q&A about eReaders

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 2232 comments Mod
Have any questions about Kindles, Nooks, Kobos, etc? Here's a great place for them.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) So to use the Kindle app do I need to have an Amazon account? If so are there other reading apps?

As for audiobooks, it sounded like I need to pay for a subscription. Truth?

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 101 comments I have the Kindle and Kobo apps on my phone and tablet. (while I do have a Kobo e-reader I prefer to read the books on my iPad because the print and screen are larger) I do have an Amazon account but most of the books I download from them are free. I have never looked into audiobooks so know nothing really about them.

Beth - ;)
in Calgary

message 4: by AlegnaB † (last edited Dec 04, 2018 11:16AM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 958 comments Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) wrote: "So to use the Kindle app do I need to have an Amazon account? If so are there other reading apps?

As for audiobooks, it sounded like I need to pay for a subscription. Truth?"

You do need to have an Amazon account to use a Kindle app, but it's free. And it's worth getting, IMO, because you can then get oodles of free and highly discounted ebooks. Maybe you won't need to put payment info in if you're only getting free ebooks.

You don't need to pay for a subscription to Audible. You need to have at least a free account to use their app, though. You can buy audiobooks through Audible without a membership, too. I've bought a bunch. They were all very cheap, like $1.99 or less. I think the cheapest book I've bought was 39 cents.

You can get free vintage audiobooks through the Librivox app and the Project Gutenberg app. They are narrated by volunteers, so the quality can variety greatly, I suppose. There may be other sites and apps for free audiobooks.

And your local library may offer free audiobooks through RBdigital, Overdrive, or some other library service. That's how I get most of the audiobooks I listen to.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) I know the Kindle app is free. I just wasn't sure if I needed Amazon.

I dont use Amazon so I dont think I'll be doing that :\ it'd be silly to pay for a service I'll rarely ever use, especially after I'm on my own

Audiobooks would work. I sit at my desk and just play around a lot so I could listen to books while i do what I do anyway

message 6: by AlegnaB † (last edited Dec 04, 2018 02:40PM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 958 comments Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) wrote: "I know the Kindle app is free. I just wasn't sure if I needed Amazon..."

An Amazon account is free, and if you want to get any of the free Kindle books that are offered, you need an Amazon account. I said “it’s worth getting” because some people don’t think a free account is worth giving Amazon some personal information; I didn’t say it because an Amazon account costs anything (I had already said it’s free). Free Kindle books are offered every day, so you’re missing out on a lot of books by not having a free account.

You may be confusing an Amazon account with Amazon Prime. An account is free, but Prime is not. Prime provides free shipping for many products, online streaming of TV shows and movies, streaming audiobooks, and some other stuff.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) I'm looking at the app page for Audible and, well..

(view spoiler)

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) AlegnaB † wrote: "Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) wrote: "I know the Kindle app is free. I just wasn't sure if I needed Amazon..."

An Amazon account is free, and if you want to get any of the free Kindle books t..."

Ohhh. I guess that may be it

message 9: by AlegnaB † (last edited Dec 04, 2018 02:50PM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 958 comments Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) wrote: "I'm looking at the app page for Audible and, well..."

An Audible account is free. Membership is not. I have an Audible account and have bought more than 50 books. I do not have a membership, so I’m not paying a monthly fee.

Check your public library’s website to see if it has any info about downloadable audiobooks.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) What does a membership bring?

message 11: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 958 comments Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) wrote: "What does a membership bring?"

An Audible membership brings a $14.95 fee per month. That gives one credit per month that can be used on any book of any price. There’s a 30% (?) discount on books bought without credits (you wouldn’t want to use credits for books that would be cheaper to pay outright for). There may be other benefits, too.

message 12: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 958 comments Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) wrote: "...Audiobooks would work. I sit at my desk and just play around a lot so I could listen to books..."

You should keep an eye on this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 13: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 104 comments If you don’t mind spending a little on Kindle books, but you don’t want to give Amazon you credit card info—or if you don’t have a credit card—you can buy an Amazon gift card and pay with that. That’s how I’m buying Christmas gifts this year bc I like the convenience of online shopping but I already have debt and don’t want more.

You can buy the gift cards at the Post Office or at drug stores but I did not find any at Target, which kind of amused me.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) Amazon already has my debit card info ((I've bought things from them already)). I just didn't want to pay for a subscription. And now that I know i *can* do that, I likely will.