Peanut Blossom Book Club for Recovering Readers discussion

Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less
2019: Official Book Discussions > March: Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tiffany (peanutblossom) | 22 comments Mod
This thread is for our discussion of March's book. What did you think of this month's pick?

Tiffany | 8 comments I tried but I really disliked the writing in this book. I felt like the plot was good but I was trying too hard to like the story/characters ended up skimming through the first half before giving up. Just not a favorite.

message 3: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela (cupcakemom) | 14 comments Just finished Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less!
I really enjoyed the book. I enjoy the writing of Jeffery Archer and have read several of his books in the past. I can say that this wasn’t my favorite but I still enjoyed the story line and found myself cheering on the characters. It was my first audiobook I was able to complete finish; as my library didn’t have any hard copies of this book.

Christine | 5 comments Started this book this morning.

Tracey Anderson | 2 comments I liked this book! Something I never would have chosen myself. I enjoyed the backgrounds of the characters and how they were all woven together in the end. The added humor inserted every once in awhile was a fun touch!

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 7 comments Hi, This is Leslie and new to group . I read the book, but it was not a quick read for me. Interesting choice and something I would not have selected for myself. I enjoyed the story, liked the different characters. The bit of a twist near the end certainly surprised me. Enjoy.

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Wow! For a presumably plot rather than character driven book that was a slow start. 5 chapters to get to the mention of revenge and have the main characters meet. I guess there is a lot of detail. Did you like any of the characters? Find them convincing? Did it matter?

(I'm up to about chapter 8 but none too worried about spoilers, I'm not invested enough. I'm eagerly awaiting the action! )

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments I've made it to the end of Chapter 16, 3 schemes down. I love the way they use his vanities against him! I've been listening to it instead of reading; it feels more like long con TV (who liked the UK show Hustle?) and films. I've been trying to work out his 4th weakness ready for James. I can sense the big twist is imminent...

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Finished! A bit of a sudden ending. Felt a little cheated of a 4th con! Did anyone like any of the characters? I don't think I could warm to any of them. The villain of the piece was the most interesting... if not sympathetic.

Tammy | 6 comments I just finished this book. Not a favourite but I enjoyed it enough.

Meghan | 3 comments I really liked this book. It was definitely not one I probably would have chosen for myself, but enjoyed being introduced to something different. I didn’t expect the twist at the end. I also found it very Oceans 11ish, would make a good movie.

message 12: by Sally (new)

Sally O'connor | 1 comments I don’t think I’ve ever read a Jefferey Archer book before.
I listened to the audiobook of this one and really enjoyed it.
At times I got a bit confused by keeping up with the characters , but thought the plots plans they came up with to get there money back were clever.
Didn’t guess the twist with Anna!
Did think that the ending was a little abrupt!

Tiffany (peanutblossom) | 22 comments Mod
Hi ladies!! I finally finished the book. oh my goodness this one was definitely NOT a favorite of mine. I found myself avoiding reading because I wasn't interested in picking it up. I agree that the ending felt very abrupt, too.

I couldn't help but wonder if the book was just a bit dated? I know it is an older title. I wonder how I would have felt about it if I had read it a few years ago??

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Tiffany wrote: "Hi ladies!! I finally finished the book. oh my goodness this one was definitely NOT a favorite of mine. I found myself avoiding reading because I wasn't interested in picking it up. I agree that th..."

I didn't think the content was dated, perhaps the style is . It was just such slow going with the volume of detail and unlikable characters. For me at least. He seems to be a love him or hate author!

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Sally wrote: "I don’t think I’ve ever read a Jefferey Archer book before.
I listened to the audiobook of this one and really enjoyed it.
At times I got a bit confused by keeping up with the characters , but th..."

The audio book really helped me too. I've not used one before but this really helped me persevere with the story and now I'm missing having something to listen to on my walks!