The YA Book Club discussion

Fantasy > [SERIOUS] I've become obsessed with a book series - please help

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liam (new)

Liam Redmond | 2 comments I know this is going to sound pretty pathetic, but I've actually become obsessed with a book series.

Last week, I started reading a trilogy series called "Kingdom on Fire". I've become so engrossed with the story that I literally can't stop thinking about it EVER.

I read the first one in one day - unable to stop reading. Then when I finished, I was unable to stop fantasizing about the story in my head to the point where I was literally losing sleep because of it.

Then, a few days later, I got the second book in the series. The same thing happened, except WORSE. Again, I read it all in a few hours since I found myself unable to stop but this time the book had some rather tragic things happen to a bunch of the major characters. As a result, I found myself becoming extremely upset and anxious. I literally felt like I was having a mental breakdown.

What I explained above happened yesterday. Currently, I'm still stuck in the same cycle of constantly fantasizing about the story and I can't stop. I'll try to focus on something else and the story will just pop right back into my head again.

I ordered the last book in the series earlier today, but I'm honestly scared to start reading it for so many reasons.
-I don't want the series to end as I've excessively/obsessively fallen in love with the characters and story
-I fear that the series will end in an unhappy way or one that is undesirable for me which will make me feel the same way I do right now (which is because of the ending of book 2)
-And this isnt necessarily related to reading book 3, but I don't know how I can stop fantasizing and thinking about the story. If I read book 3, I'll fantasize with the story forever as there won't be any more books to continue the story. If I don't read book three, I'll just keep fantasizing from the point where the story left off.

Ahhhh. I'm just so frustrated because this series has literally taken over my mind and life. One part of me hopes that I'll be able to stop obsessing and fantasizing over it, while another hopes I'll never be able to stop because of how much this story has clicked with me.

message 2: by Amna (new)

Amna Alvi (amnaaalvi) | 29 comments You know ive never actually read that series but seriously? I dont really think thats a problem, thats a pretty much norm for me whenever i read a book series i love. You know u will eventually stop and instead it will later become something that u think bout and smile about once in a while i dont really see what ur so worked up about

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley obsessions aren't that bad, it gives you something to hold on to.
don't blame yourself, after all there are people who commit crimes instead of reading.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley ok that sounded so lame :)

message 5: by Justine (new)

Justine | 8 comments That happens to me alot of the time, especially if a particular book or series just clicked with me. You are definitley not alone, and before i go on let me just say that its really okay, its normal epsecially for booklovers like us!

As for my first experience with this, there was a series that i read that i just absolutey fell inlove with, i obsessed over it so much that i honestly felt so scared that i wouldnt be able to properly study (at that point i hadnt begun my studies yet) i felt such conection to the characters and the stories, if something bad happened to them (like you said) then i would feel such overwhelming emotions, i even felt like something was wrong with me!
But then as time went on and i read other books or series and similar obssesions would happen i realised that thats just what happens when i read, i just deal with it as best i can because i LOVE books and i would never give them up

message 6: by Liam (new)

Liam Redmond | 2 comments Ashley wrote: "obsessions aren't that bad, it gives you something to hold on to.
don't blame yourself, after all there are people who commit crimes instead of reading."

didn’t sound lame to me. Thank you for the feedback

message 7: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett Murphy | 22 comments I do this with some series. Especially with Time Shifters which only has two more books to come out!

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 7 comments I am so glad I'm not the only one who gets like this over books! I haven't had a book like that in quite a while but my life always gets completely derailed when I hit a good series. If its as good as you're selling it I might have to get into it. I wouldn't worry about it though, when I get like that I just force my friends or family (who aren't really into books) listen to my excited ramblings about it, that tends to help me.

message 9: by Isla_Herondale (new)

Isla_Herondale | 23 comments same, im like that with the infernal devices! i just read them over and over again!

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  Lopez  | 3 comments It is rather normal! I said the same thing to my reading friends when I finished kingdom of ash. Till this day I am still obsessed! And then I read a court of thorn and roses and it’s just been down hill

message 11: by Miranda (new)

Miranda McKown | 3 comments That happens to me all the time! It’ll fade as time goes on and you read new books. If you think it’s getting really serious try doing something that will really distract you and see if that will help. I think it’s totally fine though!