The F-word discussion

BOOK DISCUSSIONS > Handmaid's Tale Sequel

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (officerripley) | 89 comments Margaret Atwood confirms a sequel for The Handmaid's Tale; the follow-up, titled The TestamentsThe Testaments, will be released in 2019; to read the rest of the article: https://tinyurl.com/yanb6rug.

message 2: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Yes, I mentioned it In the News... thread recently. I will definitely read the sequel, but I have reservations - mostly that I find sequels written years after the original never live up to the original. I don't want anything to detract from The Handmaid's Tale and worry that if the sequel isn't good, people will jump on that as a reason to try to take down The Handmaid's Tale too.

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie (strangersights) | 32 comments El wrote: "Yes, I mentioned it In the News... thread recently. I will definitely read the sequel, but I have reservations - mostly that I find sequels written years after the original never live up to the ori..."

I was thinking the same thing. It worries me when sequels come so far after the fact that it will be less about furthering the story than pandering to popular culture. Like, the magic that made the original so great might have been lost. But, I'm also still going to read it anyway...