Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Bob's 2019 TBR Reduction of Classics & Want to be Literature

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Jul 23, 2019 06:31AM) (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
It has been awhile since I've done this challenge, but it is a good way to focus on unread group reads and my personal TBR stack. I want this to be a true cleaning of the bookshelf, so all selections will be either printed paper books on my shelf or e-reads already on my device.

Unread Old School
1. The Moonstone-Shelved 4/1/15
2. Middlemarch-Shelved 12/2/15
✔️3. Dead Souls-Shelved 4/17/17-Read 1/31/19**

Unread New School
1. Love in the Time of Cholera-Shelved 12/1/14
2. Despair-Shelved 9/4/13
3. The Lord of the Rings-Shelved 9/1/16

Intellectually Neutral - Brain Candy
Want to be Literature - Guaranteed not make you smarter, but shouldn't kill any existing brain cells either. No real substance, just fun to read.

✔️1. The Wolves, 1/7/19 ***
✔️2. Guilty Wives, 6/28/19 ***
✔️3. White Death 5/7/19 ***
✔️4. The Third Option 7/21/19 ***
✔️5. One Shot, 1/24/19***
✔️6. The Sleeping Doll, 3/9/19***

Alternates
✔️1. All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers, 1/12/19 ***
2. Lord Jim

✔️ Completed: 8/12

Currently Reading/Next Up: Love in the Time of Cholera

message 2: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Jul 22, 2019 07:49AM) (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
The Wolves (John Wells, #10) by Alex Berenson , All My Friends are Going to Be Strangers by Larry McMurtry , One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9) by Lee Child , Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol , The Sleeping Doll (Kathryn Dance #1) by Jeffery Deaver , White Death (NUMA Files, #4) by Clive Cussler , Guilty Wives by James Patterson , The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4) by Vince Flynn ,

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
saved

message 4: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I love it!
I'm soooo copying your tracking board :D

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Bob, you always have the best titles for your threads.

message 6: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments True..Esp the description of the want a be literature.
Good luck,Bob.

message 7: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5037 comments Mod
lol. Looking forward to seeing how you feel this in.

message 8: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3803 comments I can't wait to see what goes on your wildcard list, Bob!

message 9: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Dec 04, 2018 11:45AM) (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I don't know if changes will be made, but my selections are made. I can say I have confidence in my selection of Love in the Time of Cholera. If I hadn't found a copy at a Goodwill store I would never try it, but it is on our shelf.

message 10: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Oh, good luck with Love in the Time of Cholera. I hated it, but there are many who would list it as a favorite.

message 11: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Dec 04, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Well Sara, the butterflies I had in my stomach while selecting a book I have no confidence in, just morphed into stinging bees. Yours is one of the opinions I truly value, thank God for the alternates. Perhaps we should add additional alternates. I need to revisit my group un-read books. My first choice was Out of Africa, but I don’t own a copy.

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3180 comments Bob wrote: "Well the butterflies I had in my stomach while selecting a book I have no confidence in, just morphed into stinging bees. Yours is one of the opinions I truly value, thank God for the alternates. P..."

I like the idea of more alternates! Maybe more of us would complete it then.

I'm hoping to get to Moonstone, Middlemarch & the Leopard this year also. I loved Dead Souls but it's definitely not for everyone. The humor has to resonate with you.

message 13: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Can't always judge by me, Bob. I did love Out of Africa though.

I'm glad we don't get extra alternates because the point for this challenge for me is to FORCE myself to read the ones I keep pushing back. I might need to rework my choices because I should have used more books from the Group Bookshelf in my wildcards.

message 14: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments I remember liking West with the Night more than Out of Africa.

message 15: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Marilyn wrote: "I remember liking West with the Night more than Out of Africa."

Me too.

message 16: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Katy wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "I remember liking West with the Night more than Out of Africa."

Me too."

Me too.

message 17: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Bob, I'm also going for Love in the Time of Cholera. It's one that I think I'm going to force myself to "get through" in January, just to get it over with. Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll enjoy it more than we expect to ~~fingers crossed~~ !

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments Some great books on your list this year. I like your strategy of picking some fun reads to go with the others on your list.

message 19: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments The Moonstone was very good but I found Love in the Time of Cholera to be a very challenging book.

message 20: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Dec 15, 2018 03:44AM) (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I changed The Leopard for Despair. I am going to try Love in the Time of Cholera, if successful it will checkoff a book from the group shelf and work for either the South America or Nobel square in Bingo.

Still mulling my list and may make additional changes. I'm a little concerned about Middlemarch and Lord of the Rings being about 1000 pages each. Depending on how fast they read I'm still looking at 3-4 weeks for both.

message 21: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I think you will never regret reading either of them, Bob, and both are quicker reads because they keep you interested in reading. From my point of view, better these two wonderful 1000 page books than two so-so 500 pagers.

message 22: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments IMHO - Just commit to the first book of a trilogy. If you don't like it you can check it off for the challenge and move on. If you like it you can read the other books at your leisure. I have thought about doing this for the Lord of the Rings. I did not like the movies so I am reluctant to overcommit with the books.

message 23: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Sara wrote: "I think you will never regret reading either of them, Bob, and both are quicker reads because they keep you interested in reading. From my point of view, better these two wonderful 1000 page books ..."

Thanks Sara, that these two are quick and interesting is encouraging. I love it when a book is so engrossing you loose sleep.

message 24: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Marilyn wrote: "IMHO - Just commit to the first book of a trilogy. If you don't like it you can check it off for the challenge and move on. If you like it you can read the other books at your leisure. I have thoug..."

Marilyn, I will actually be reading Rings one book at a time because that is how they were given to me. My goal is to checkoff Rings from the group shelf, so I must read all three. The fact that I really liked The Hobbit helps me think I have a chance for reading the whole book by the end of the year.

message 25: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments Bob wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "IMHO - Just commit to the first book of a trilogy. If you don't like it you can check it off for the challenge and move on. If you like it you can read the other books at your leisu..."

When it comes to multi-book series, I have commitment issues.

message 26: by Cynda (last edited Dec 29, 2018 01:30PM) (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments Hi Bob. List is looking good. I hope you enjoy Middlemarch and Love in the Time of Cholera as much as I did :-)

message 27: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 68 comments I'm with Cynda. Love in the Time of Cholera is a favorite and reading Middlemarch earlier this year is what gave me the courage to delve back into Classics.

message 28: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Well with time running short I just gave my list a last look over. While I may make a last minute change tomorrow or Monday, I did notice I have no new authors and only one woman author. If I had paid more attention when making the list I don't think I would done this, but I'm not going to redo it with two days left. So so dumb!

message 29: by Petra (new)

Petra Oh dear.....you made me look at my list.
I also only have one woman author on my list. I'm not going to redo my list either but this is something I hope to remedy in the future.

message 30: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
My first Brain Candy read is complete,

This is the 10th book in the John Wells series. This is one of the few series books that I have read from the beginning and in order. The Wolves is the third part of a continuing story that starts with book 8 The Counterfeit Agent followed by Twelve Days. While it is possible to read each book independently, I recommend that you start with book 8 The Counterfeit Agent. These books are fast paced and easy reading, with good story content.

Just a fun read and another TBR checked off the list.

message 31: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Jan 13, 2019 02:20PM) (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Alternate ✔️1. All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers, 1/12/19 ***.5

I am a huge fan of Larry McMurtry, perhaps my all-time favorite. I had misplaced this book on my read but want to keep the book bookshelf. Somehow it was placed in error and while cleaning up I discovered my error, it was like finding an friend you haven't seen in years.

I am currently working on my review, it won't go down as my favorite, but it finished much better than it started. So glad I found it.

message 32: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Shaver | 172 comments Love McMurtry too. His Lonesome Dove was epic.

message 33: by Petra (new)

Petra I like Larry McMurtry books as well.

Nice start on the challenge, Bob!

message 34: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
My second Brain Candy read is complete, ✔️5. One Shot, 1/24/19***

I didn't know it when I started reading, but this is the story that was made into a movie staring Tom Cruise. As is usually the case, for me at least, the book was much more in depth and I enjoyed it more than I did the movie.

message 35: by Petra (new)

Petra Well done, Bob! You're doing really great with the challenge.

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
My first Old School read is complete, my fourth of the challenge. ✔️3. Dead Souls-Shelved by the group 4/17/17-Read 1/31/19**

I wish I could give this more than the two star rating, indicating it was just OK. Parts of this were excellent, but not enough of it grabbed my imagination to be a four or five star read. I guess the best I can say is it was two and a half stars, rounded down. Parts of this were extremely inspirational, but far to much seemed to be rambling for the sake of putting words on the page.

I can't regret reading this and I won't discourage others from giving it a try, it just didn't work for me.

message 37: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3803 comments I agree with you about Dead Souls, Bob. I just couldn't get through it. Good for you for finishing!

message 38: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Another Brain Candy read finished, The Sleeping Doll, 3/9/19***

I've been in a reading slump and usually this kind of book, one that's fairly easy and reads fast, can brake the slump. If my slump is broken it has taken a while, I started this in early February, we will see with my next read.

message 39: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments How about The Martian by Andy Weir? Adventure story in space, man against nature, using his brain, wits and brawn in his fight for survival? Great read ...... :)

This one sounds kinda awesome, too, it's been showing up in my news feed alot lately. Just checked the library, all copies in use, holds on 5 of 6 copies right now - The River by Peter Heller.

The Martian by Andy Weir The River by Peter Heller

message 40: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3180 comments It seems like nothing has knocked your sox off yet Bob, but at least you've made good progress! I'm hoping you'll love Moontsone and Middlemarch. Those are two books I'm looking very forward to getting too. Because of everything I have planned, they will probably be next year for me.

message 41: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Sue, so far this year my socks have stayed on, but I have liked everything I’ve read. I tend to be a little rough with my ratings. Only about 8% of my reading rates 5 stars. I do sometimes regret not rating a book higher, especially when a few weeks or months have passed and it’s still sticking with me. My brain candy books rarely rate higher than three stars. I do have to admit Larry McMurtry's book was a disappointment at three stars, but it just wasn't up to what I’ve come to expect from him.

As for Moonstone and Middlemarch, I have high hopes. I have really enjoy both authors, Wilkie Collins’ Lady in White and The Dead Secret are five stars for me. Eliot’s Silas Marner and The Mill on the Floss, I rated 4 stars. On later reflection, I should have rated both 5 stars, they were are worth it.

message 42: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Now I feel like I'm going to have to check my percentage of 5 star books. I feel like I might be a bit more easy going than you are. I can't remember what I rated Silas Marner, but if I guessed I'd say I'd rated it a 4.5 to 5 Star rating.

Looks like you are making excellent progress. I loved Middlemarch and hopefully you'll enjoy it too. I have the Lord of the Rings trilogy on my list this year and can't say I'm too excited about it. It's nice to know you'll be reading it around the same time. Good luck!

message 43: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
5/12 is a great place to be on a challenge in March! Way to go, Bob.

message 44: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Its been two months since I checked one off this list, but I'm still on pace 6/12 now. It was another brain candy read White Death 5/7/19 *** A solid action-adventure good story, fast paced, easy reading. Cussler is always a good bet.

I'm happy that I have checked off another long sitting book from my shelf, but I bet I've added 25+ since I made this reduction list. I guess I don't fully understand the concept of cleaning and reducing the number of books on the shelf.

I may have a problem.

message 45: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1497 comments LOL! I have the same problem!

message 46: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
My six choices for cleaning up my TBR:

Intellectually Neutral - Brain Candy
Want to be Literature - Guaranteed not make you smarter, but shouldn't kill any existing brain cells either. No real substance, just fun to read.

✔️2. Guilty Wives, 6/28/19 ***
✔️3. White Death 5/7/19 ***
✔️4. The Third Option 7/21/19 ***
✔️5. One Shot, 1/24/19***
✔️6. The Sleeping Doll, 3/9/19***

I have finished my six Brain Candy reads and I enjoyed them all. As in the movies, when animals are used, I do feel the need to disclose that “No brain cells were damaged or destroyed during the reading of these six books.” Brain Candy books when taken in moderation are enjoyable, but beware they can be habit forming. I’m hooked and will be reading more by all of the above authors, I just can’t help myself.

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3180 comments ha ha! It's great to mix it up with some fun easy reads. Congrats on completing the 6 Bob!

message 48: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Late last night I started Love in the Time of Cholera. Way to early to tell if I will like it or even tolerate enough to finish. I'm impressed with the first few pages.

You would think I have this challenge knocked only needing 4 more books to be complete. But I'm afraid I have painted myself into a corner.

Other than Lord Jim, all the books remaining are unread group selections. Middlemarch and The Lord of the Rings are bricks and The Moonstone isn't small. Despair being the only one I will have to get from the library. It's also like Cholera, not a book I am drawn to, but since it's a group read it is worth trying.

With five months left I have a chance for completion, but I have doubts. It has been a challenging year and my reading has not been as smooth as it usually is for me. Fingers crossed.

message 49: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
Bob wrote: "Late last night I started Love in the Time of Cholera. Way to early to tell if I will like it or even tolerate enough to finish. I'm impressed with the first few pages.

You would thi..."

Good luck. There are a few biggies on your remaining four. I haven't read any of those yet. I am sure you can do it! There is plenty of time left.

message 50: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

lol. I love your brain candy, I find I need some now and then. You may wish you had saved some to suck on between your meat and potatoes, though.

I know they are hefty, but Middlemarch, The Moonstone and The Lord of the Rings are so wonderful they are like candy of another sort...let's say dark chocolate, tasty but has some bioflavonoids to help that brain stay healthy.