Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Sara's Old and New Challenge 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sara, Old School Classics (last edited Nov 18, 2019 02:40PM) (new)

message 2: by Sara, Old School Classics (last edited Nov 18, 2019 02:41PM) (new)

message 3: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 779 comments I love your list, Sara. I don't think I'm going to participate in this particular challenge, as I failed horribly this past year. I guess I have to stick to ones I can switch up if necessary! Who knows though, I may be tempted to do it anyway ;0

message 4: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5476 comments Mod
I treat this as my #1 challenge, Candi. I put the books I absolutely, positively want to read before the year is over.

message 5: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 779 comments That's a great way to strategize with this one, Sara. Should I cave in and participate, I will come at it from the same angle :)

message 6: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2617 comments Nice list, Sara! I loved Plainsong and am reading Eventide (Book #2) right now and am loving it just as much. Kent Haruf is such a good writer!
Many on there that I have not heard of, so I'll be watching your reviews to see which ones I need to add to my TBR list! :)

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3939 comments What a great assortment of books--half I've never heard of. A Parchment of Leaves is especially intriguing. Oh boy, I have a feeling you're going to expand my TBR again next year!

message 8: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Thanks you guys.

Terris, I have been meaning to read Plainsong for forever. Candi, I think you were the one who told me it was a "no miss" book. Nice to know the second book is just as good. Plainsong is not very long, so I can see myself continuing to Eventide.

Kathleen, I have been promising myself to read a Silas House novel and decided to start with A Parchment of Leaves. I'll let you know, but I am expecting to love it.

Big Rock Candy Mountain is one I didn't get to from last year's list, so it is high priority for me. If I should get to it in December, I will make a switch.

message 9: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 779 comments Plainsong is definitely not to be missed, Sara! I have not moved on to Eventide, so maybe we can find a way to read it together once you read Plainsong :)

Also - I suspect you would really enjoy Elkhorn Tavern. I loved it :)

message 10: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sounds like a plan! Maybe I will put Plainsong at the top of my list for January. I missed the Southern Literary Trail read of Elkhorn Tavern and have had it sitting on my shelf, calling my name, ever since.

message 11: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I thought The Big Rock Candy Mountain was a song. You learn something new every day. I am unaware of any of your selections, but looking through them I will have to add some to my tbr. A Sound of Thunder, Elkhorn Tavern, and Twilight seem like books I could start tomorrow. From my quick check I feel like you will enjoy these. Good luck

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3219 comments I had never heard of A Parchment of leaves either, but it sounds great. I've added it.

I've owned Plainsong forever but never seem to get to it. Maybe I will next year too.

Great list Sara!

message 13: by Erin (last edited Dec 07, 2018 08:27AM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Quite an interesting list! I must confess that I had not heard of any of them, except, like Bob, I had thought Big Rock Candy Mountain was a song, and then I experienced a moment of astonishment at seeing Twilight included, but then I saw it was not what I’d thought and felt properly silly! 😅

Good luck with your challenge! 😊

message 14: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Bob wrote: "I thought The Big Rock Candy Mountain was a song. You learn something new every day. I am unaware of any of your selections, but looking through them I will have to add some to my tbr. A Sound of T..."

It is a song, Bob. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqowm...

The song is older than the book, so I'm guessing there is going to be a tie-in. I have loved the other Stegner books I have read, so I've got expectations on that one. I am REALLY looking forward to this list.

message 15: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sue wrote: "I had never heard of A Parchment of leaves either, but it sounds great. I've added it.

I've owned Plainsong forever but never seem to get to it. Maybe I will next year too.

Great list Sara!"

We'll have to compare notes on Plainsong, Sue!

message 16: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Erin wrote: "Quite an interesting list! I must confess that I had not heard of any of them, except, like Bob, I had thought Big Rock Candy Mountain was a song, and then I experienced a moment of astonishment at..."

lol. Yes, I have passed on that other Twilight.

message 17: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Thanks for the song, it made my day. Now I get to spend the day annoying folks and get funny looks as I hum and sing it. It's not leaving my head for awhile

message 18: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

It is a catchy tune and the idea of such a place pretty inviting for a hobo.

message 19: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 779 comments Oh, Sara, that link and that song made my day! I'm going to make the family watch it with me later, lol!

By the way, I have caught the fever and made my list of books for this challenge, which I said I wasn't going to do, as well as the others! I have to tweak them a bit, but will post them later today hopefully :) I am going to focus on this one first this time, and have tailored the others around this one as best I could.

message 20: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

You must face it, Candi, you are an addict just like me. This happens to be my favorite challenge every year, because every book on it is one I really, really want to read. Can't wait to see what you have selected this year. I'm crossing my fingers for some buddy reads.

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments I’ve read none of your choices! Good luck with your challenge :)

message 22: by Petra (new)

Petra Nice list, Sara!
I've enjoyed Plainsong (Kent Haruf's books are all wonderful), Big Rock Candy Mountain and Fugitive Pieces. All very good reads.

Like Candi, these lists have encouraged me to try this challenge again next year.

message 23: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Pink wrote: "I’ve read none of your choices! Good luck with your challenge :)"

Thanks, Pink. Good luck with yours as well.

message 24: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Petra wrote: "Nice list, Sara!
I've enjoyed Plainsong (Kent Haruf's books are all wonderful), Big Rock Candy Mountain and Fugitive Pieces. All very good reads.

Like Candi, these lists have encouraged me to try..."

I've heard such good things about Plainsong! Glad you have decided to play.

message 25: by Brina (new)

Brina If I didn’t have my 12 Pulitzer’s planned for the year, I would join you for Guns in August. It’s supposed to be a real classic and I should add it to my two year plan. The only thing I know about Big Rock Candy Mountain is the song. I’m looking forward to your reviews.

message 26: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Thanks, Brina. I have high hopes!

message 27: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3048 comments Hi Sara. Big Rock Candy Mountain looks interesting. A few people here do some drug running. Might be interesting to kow a bit about rum running too. Enjoy!

message 28: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I don't think it will disappoint. I have loved his other books. Does seem it will be unique.

message 29: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Finished The Big Rock Candy Mountain. I used an alternate last year and rolled this one over. I was determined to make it #1 and I am glad I did. Wonderful book. Stegner is such a thoughtful writer.

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Sara wrote: "Finished The Big Rock Candy Mountain. I used an alternate last year and rolled this one over. I was determined to make it #1 and I am glad I did. Wonderful book. Stegner is such a thou..."

Off to a great start and glad you enjoyed your first read of the year! :D

message 31: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
No choice now but to read this. A catchy title, a song that sticks in your brain like Grandma got Run Over By a Reindeer, and “Wonderful book” praise, this book is now my hunt for a copy and read it soon list.

message 32: by Petra (new)

Petra Nice start to the Challenge, Sara.
I read Big Rock Candy Mountain a few years back and really enjoyed it. I'm glad you did as well. I agree with you about Stegner and want to read more of his books one day.

Congratulations on completing the first book already.

message 33: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Big Rock Candy Mountain was my first Stegner. Liked it and want to read more of his books.

message 34: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Erin wrote: "Off to a great start and glad you enjoyed your first read of the year! :D

I did! Always nice to start with a winner.

message 35: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Bob wrote: "No choice now but to read this. A catchy title, a song that sticks in your brain like Grandma got Run Over By a Reindeer, and “Wonderful book” praise, this book is now my hunt for a copy and read i..."

Ha! I am so glad, Bob. I know what you mean about the song...it can drive you nuts.

message 36: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Petra wrote: "Nice start to the Challenge, Sara.
I read Big Rock Candy Mountain a few years back and really enjoyed it. I'm glad you did as well. I agree with you about Stegner and want to read more of his books..."

Thank you, Petra. Highly recommend Crossing to Safety

message 37: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Marilyn wrote: "Big Rock Candy Mountain was my first Stegner. Liked it and want to read more of his books."

I hope you do, Marilyn. I have Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs on my list and think that might be next for me. It will be a departure from his other works, but I am curious to see what he has to say about both the West and other writers, like Steinbeck.

message 38: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Finally read a second selection for this challenge. I have already fallen behind!

The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene. A terrific read and one that pierces the heart. Greene is never a light read, he wants to make you think, and he does.

message 39: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Sara wrote: "Finally read a second selection for this challenge. I have already fallen behind!

The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene. A terrific read and one that pierces the hear..."

That does look good.

message 40: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 779 comments I'm behind on mine as well, Sara. At least you know you have some wonderful books to look forward to!

message 41: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3939 comments You're making great progress Sara, reading and enjoying some wonderful books. I haven't read Graham Greene yet, and your review convinced me I need to do something about that soon!

message 42: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I am happy with the two I have read, but I have some very hefty reads in the "Old" section, and I need to get started on them before I turn around and 3/4 of the year is gone. Has anyone else noticed how fast time moves these days?

message 43: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Mar 06, 2019 07:59AM) (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I haven’t read much of Graham Greene’s work, just enough to know he was a gifted writer. I’m looking forward reading more.

And yes, I’ve noticed time just seems to disappear, it just doesn’t seem possible that it is already March.

The passage of time is why, when I focus on my eyes in the mirror, the reflection is new and young, yet when I focus on the whole, it seems wrinkled and old.

message 44: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

lol. Oh, Bob, I own a mirror just like yours.

message 45: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 779 comments Just the other night I asked my husband if it was just me or if time is going by way too fast. He agreed! (In the past, he would deny this, lol!)

message 46: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Oops, you just crossed a line, Candi, and believe me there is no going back. :)

message 47: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 779 comments Yes, Sara, I do believe it and it scares me, lol!

message 48: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1614 comments Speaking of Graham Greene, I have The End of the Affair on my TBR list, and I now have heard that Audible has a really good version of it, so I may listen to this one.

message 49: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I really loved The End of the Affair, Terry. Interested in seeing what you think.

message 50: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3219 comments The Heart of the Matter sounds Great Sara. I'm glad you didn't get to Plainsong yet. Maybe we'll be on it at the same time. It won't be until June or July for me.

« previous 1 3