The Sword and Laser discussion

Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr
This topic is about Ka
Ka:Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr > Ka: Fastest way to get the audiobook version of this month's pick?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurențiu (last edited Dec 03, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

Laurențiu Roman | 15 comments So... Amazon sells an audiobook of this but it is... on CDs. They do not have an Audible version of it, at least they do not show it to me on either the US or UK portal of their service. And since this is the holiday season, arrival of the physical copy is about mid January for me... Maybe Brilliance Audio sells it on another store somwhere that is available quasi-worldwide or something.
I have found it on another audiobook store, but as soon as i created an account and refreshed the page, it would not allow me to buy it and would say it is not available in my region.
Region locking is utterly stupid, especially for stuff that does not have that big of a licensing rights value...

LE: Itunes is basically out of the question as it is double the price and i do not own an Apple device so having it easily available on my devices may be more work than it's worth...

message 2: by Leesa (last edited Dec 03, 2018 04:05PM) (new) - added it

Leesa (leesalogic) | 647 comments They definitely have an audio version. I bought it. It's narrated by the author himself. I don't usually have a qualm about authors narrating their own work, and the reviews for the audiobook are positive, but the audio version was losing me. I love crows so much I just couldn't let this stand so I went ahead and bought the ebook, even though I consume books better through audiobook, and I'm glad I did.

I'm loving this story so far. I love corvids (I'm going to say this a lot :D)
US Audible link:
https://www.audible.com/pd/Ka-Audiobo...

ETA: I'm glad I bought the ebook. There's artwork inside! Ahhhhhh! Love it so much.

message 3: by Laurențiu (last edited Dec 03, 2018 09:12PM) (new)

Laurențiu Roman | 15 comments Leesa wrote: "They definitely have an audio version. I bought it. It's narrated by the author himself. I don't usually have a qualm about authors narrating their own work, and the reviews for the audiobook are p..."

"Title Not For Sale In This Country/Region
We're sorry, Audible is not authorized to sell this title in your country/region. Please consider another book."

image: Blocked Audible Book
That's why it did not come up in Audible searches... I do not understand why books are region locked, when they do not have that big of an audience to begin with...

message 4: by David H. (new) - added it

David H. (farrakut) Sorry, Laurențiu, but it's possible the author (or his agent) didn't (or weren't able to) sell the rights for your particular region (or Audible didn't buy those rights from them).

message 5: by Laurențiu (new)

Laurențiu Roman | 15 comments I understand that, it just seems really weird, because books do not make that much money, for those rights to make a difference. The Kindle version is available, and audio books of some of his other works are available on audible and at least one other store. I'm not that mad about it, it just seems particularly dopey.

message 6: by David H. (new) - added it

David H. (farrakut) Those rights *can* make a difference, though--I think Michael J. Sullivan (I think) was able to make a LOT more money selling his audio rights separately to Audible than if he had included audio rights in with the original English rights int he first place.

It's unfortunately because I like things that help the author make more money, but -- in your case -- it can be harder to get books digitally that way.

message 7: by Dan (new)

Dan Carrion | 3 comments Dang! That’s rough. I haven’t started it yet but I’m glad the author does a good job narrating.