The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Winter Challenge 2018 > 20.6 - Seasoned Reader - Laurah30's Task: Remembering a Canadian Hero

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Dec 07, 2018 07:52PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
20.6 - Seasoned Reader – Laurah30’s Task: Remembering A Canadian Hero

In 1980, Terry Fox embarked on a run across Canada to raise money and bring awareness to cancer research. He had lost his leg to cancer at 18 and the courage he showed when running his “Marathon of Hope” was inspiring for our country. All Canadians were saddened when Terry’s run was abandoned due to cancer that took his life in 1981. Every fall, thousands of Canadians participate in the Terry Fox run within their own communities to honour Terry’s legacy and to continue to raise money for cancer research. His determination, courage and dedication have earned him the title of hero.

For this task, choose one of the following options:

REQUIRED: State which option you chose when you post.

Option 1: Terry’s vision was to travel across the country raising awareness and money for cancer research. Read a book that was a winner or nominee for the Giller Prize, whose author's first and last initials are found in MARATHON OF HOPE. Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the target phrase.
Goodreads also has an awards list, showing the winners and the nominees here.

REQUIRED: Include in your post the year in which the book was a winner or nominee.

Option 2: Terry personified courage. As a 22 year-old amputee, running across the country took a physical toll on Terry. Terry had to give up his Marathon of Hope at Thunder Bay, Ontario when his cancer came back and his health was failing.

Read a book where the letters from the word COURAGE can be found in the title (subtitles can be used as well).

Option 3: The annual Terry Fox Run, first held in 1981, has grown to involve millions of participants in over 60 countries and is now the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research; over $750 million has been raised in his name, as of January 2018.
Read a book that was first published in 1981, the year of the first Terry Fox Run.

message 2: by Laura H (new)

Laura H (laurah30) | 389 comments reserved post

message 3: by Laura H (new)

Laura H (laurah30) | 389 comments reserved post

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 828 comments This is a great story. Thank you for teaching me about something new today! I plan to Google Terry Fox and the Terry Fox Run today to learn more about it.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments nice task! i remember reading about Terry Fox in a children's encyclopedia growing up

message 7: by Laura H (new)

Laura H (laurah30) | 389 comments Thanks to both of you.

message 8: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Hi, Just clarifying on option two..."Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the target word." So the entire title can only have one letter C, one letter O, one letter U, etc.?

message 9: by Laura H (new)

Laura H (laurah30) | 389 comments Elaine wrote: "Hi, Just clarifying on option two..."Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the target word." So the entire title can only have one letter C, one letter O, one letter U, etc.?"

We have taken out that language for option 2. The intent was to find the letters in the word courage within the title/subtitle. I hope that clarifies things for you.

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Laura wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Hi, Just clarifying on option two..."Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the target word." So the entire title can only have one letter C, one letter O, one letter U,..."

Absolutely! Thanks!!

message 11: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 869 comments I am pretty sure this is fine, but thought I woudl double check for option 2, it is ok if the word COURAGE is in the title, rather that dispersed amungst it.
The Red Badge of Courage

message 12: by Laura H (new)

Laura H (laurah30) | 389 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "I am pretty sure this is fine, but thought I woudl double check for option 2, it is ok if the word COURAGE is in the title, rather that dispersed amungst it.
The Red Badge of Courage"

Yes - that is fine.

message 13: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments would Born Survivors by Wendy Holden Born Survivors be acceptable for option 2? The word courage is in the subtitle as pictured on the cover of the book, but doesn't show in the GR title.

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15905 comments Mod
Amy "the book-bat" wrote: "would Born Survivors by Wendy Holden Born Survivors be acceptable for option 2? The word courage is in the subtitle as pictured on the cover of the book, but doesn't show in th..."

Moderator note: We go by what's listed on Goodreads - not by what shows on the cover of a book.

message 15: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Sandy wrote: "Amy "the book-bat" wrote: "would Born Survivors by Wendy Holden Born Survivors be acceptable for option 2? The word courage is in the subtitle as pictured on the cover of the b..."

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure. Maybe I can fit it somewhere else.

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3671 comments Amy "the book-bat" wrote: "would Born Survivors by Wendy Holden Born Survivors be acceptable for option 2? The word courage is in the subtitle as pictured on the cover of the book, but doesn't show in th..."

The Kindle and paperback editions of the book DO show the subtitle. Perhaps a librarian can help with this.