Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Hailee's 2019 Old and New "Classics" (but is really all about reducing my in-progress series)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hailee (last edited Dec 05, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Hailee | 365 comments Theme

2019 is the year that I am hoping to reduce the amount of series I am in the middle of. So this challenge reflects that aim.

Since I can't fit any pre-1900 books into that theme they are just books I really want to read. Sense and Sensibility is the last Jane Austen I have left to read while The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo have been on my tbr FOREVER!!

message 2: by Hailee (last edited Aug 06, 2019 08:59AM) (new)

message 3: by Hailee (last edited Aug 06, 2019 09:00AM) (new)

Hailee | 365 comments Progress Report

1. The Boy Who Wept Blood 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
2. The Dragon Reborn 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
3. Saint's Blood 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
4. The Legion of Flame 🌟🌟🌟🌟
5. The Empire of Ashes 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
6. Tyrant's Throne 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
7. Ruin 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

message 4: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 365 comments Reserved

message 5: by Hailee (last edited Dec 04, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Hailee | 365 comments Ok I've got most of my list sorted the only change I'm debating over is whether to take out Pride and Prejudice and replace it with The Three Musketeers.

I'll definitely be reading P&P in 2019 but since it will be a reread (the most recent of many) it kind of feels like cheating to include it lol.

message 6: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4816 comments Mod
P & P and The Three Musketeers are both good and normally I would suggest Musketeers over P & P except you also have The Count of Monte Cristo on your list, both are authored by Dumas. All I can offer in way of a tie breaker is to say that one of the Musketeers characters is probability the most devious female villains ever put down on paper.

message 7: by Hailee (last edited Dec 04, 2018 02:58PM) (new)

Hailee | 365 comments Bob wrote: "P & P and The Three Musketeers are both good and normally I would suggest Musketeers over P & P except you also have The Count of Monte Cristo on your list, both are authored by Dumas. All I can of..."

Thanks Bob. I'm definitely leaning towards Musketeers mainly because in an ideal world I want to read it before Count since so many people say that Count is the best and I don't want to end up feeling disappointed in Musketeers. Besides adding two Dumas books onto my list adds a bit of a challenge to the list.

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Hailee wrote: "Bob wrote: "P & P and The Three Musketeers are both good and normally I would suggest Musketeers over P & P except you also have The Count of Monte Cristo on your list, both are authored by Dumas. ..."

I read them both last year, and loved them both! Musketeers was a lot of fun, and like Bob said, has has one of the most interesting female villains. The Count is a completely different story, but I loved the way it played out, and Dumas has become one of my favourite authors now. I plan to finish reading The Musketeers series, and will probably put the next in the series (Twenty Years After) on my challenge for next year.

Whatever you plan to do, I hope you enjoy reading them all, and have fun with the challenge!

message 9: by Hailee (last edited Dec 05, 2018 08:28AM) (new)

Hailee | 365 comments Renee wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Bob wrote: "P & P and The Three Musketeers are both good and normally I would suggest Musketeers over P & P except you also have The Count of Monte Cristo on your list, both are auth..."

The more think about it the more excited I am to read The Three Muskeeters and then I can rewatch the BBC adaptation that was made a few years ago. I watched the first series but then fell behind, it will be fun to catch up with it with the actual book fresh in my mind. I hope you enjoy carrying on with the series.

message 10: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 365 comments Right I have committed to swapping Pride and Prejudice for The Three Musketeers and I feel a lot happier with my list now that there are no rereads in it.

message 11: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1184 comments So much love for your Old School list! They're all great.

message 12: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 365 comments Leni wrote: "So much love for your Old School list! They're all great."

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to reading all of them :-)

message 13: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I’m another Dumas and Austen fan, so your old school list looks great to me. Good luck with your challenge :)

message 14: by Hailee (last edited Dec 18, 2018 08:56AM) (new)

Hailee | 365 comments Pink wrote: "I’m another Dumas and Austen fan, so your old school list looks great to me. Good luck with your challenge :)"

Thank you. Really looking forward to tackling Dumas in 2019 :-)

message 15: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 365 comments January Update

Books read:

The Boy Who Wept Blood
The Dragon Reborn

message 16: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 365 comments Since my last update I have read another 4 books from my list:

Saint's Blood
The Legion of Flame
The Empire of Ashes
Tyrant's Throne

message 17: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4816 comments Mod
Congrats your halfway through, but wow, at the stars, you really picked well so far. Hope the rest are as good.

message 18: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2891 comments Mod
Yes it is only April and you are at the halfway point. Way to go.

message 19: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 365 comments @Lynn - Thanks. Yeah I'm pretty happy with my progress so far.

@Bob - Thank you. Yes it helps that my wildcards are the next instalment from series I have already enjoyed.