Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Duplicate Book

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Barak (ronaldsbarak) | 16 comments There is a duplicate copy of my book The Puppet Master. One has a cover, the other doesn't. I need to delete the copy with no cover. How can I do this? I cannot find the 'edit' button/location.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24803 comments Combined. One is a kindle & the other is a hardcover edition.

message 3: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Barak (ronaldsbarak) | 16 comments Thank you. I'm sorry, but I'm confused. I have another book that is both hardcover and kindle but only one book is listed. That book is The Amendment Killer.

If you're saying two listing for the same book is accurate, then how can I add the cover to the one that shows no cover? I uploaded it a week ago. I can't find the edit button to upload the cover again.

message 4: by Dan (last edited Dec 03, 2018 05:21AM) (new)

Dan | 94 comments I have added the cover to the other edition where it was missing for you.

From my understanding, pretty new librarian here, each edition be it kindle, paperback or hardcover is like adding a "new book" but if combined properly they all should take you to the same "listing". From the listing you can choose to switch to which ever edition you wish to view.

message 5: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Hi Dan,
Just out of curiosity - what source of the cover did you use? I couldn't find one from acceptable source myself.

message 6: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Barak (ronaldsbarak) | 16 comments Dan wrote: "I have added the cover to the other edition where it was missing for you.

From my understanding, pretty new librarian here, each edition be it kindle, paperback or hardcover is like adding a "ne..."

Thank you! Can I merge the two?

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24803 comments I couldn't find an acceptable source cover either.

Why would you want to delete a valid edition with isbn? So no, you can't merge them.

message 8: by Abcdarian (last edited Dec 03, 2018 06:35AM) (new)

Abcdarian | 20061 comments They are combined; merging would mean one would be deleted. Combined means only one edition of each shows on your author profile, but the other editions are linked together with the "other editions" or "all editions" links on any book page.

message 9: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Barak (ronaldsbarak) | 16 comments Sandra wrote: "I couldn't find an acceptable source cover either.

Why would you want to delete a valid edition with isbn? So no, you can't merge them."

Because I didn't understand the difference between combine and merge the two. I do now. Thank you!

message 10: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Barak (ronaldsbarak) | 16 comments Abcdarian wrote: "They are combined; merging would mean one would be deleted. Combined means only one edition of each shows on your author profile, but the other editions are linked together with the "other editions..."

Thank you, I understand now.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24803 comments Ronald wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I couldn't find an acceptable source cover either.

Why would you want to delete a valid edition with isbn? So no, you can't merge them."

Because I didn't understand the difference ..."

Sorry Ronald, I didn't mean for it to sound like it came across. It's late here & obviously my brain isn't working.

message 12: by Dan (last edited Dec 03, 2018 08:02AM) (new)

Dan | 94 comments Olivia wrote: "Hi Dan,
Just out of curiosity - what source of the cover did you use? I couldn't find one from acceptable source myself."

Hi Olivia,

I used the same image from the kindle version, I verified on this site https://ronaldsbarak.com/books/ to make sure the cover for hardcover was the same.

I know we're suppose to use images from specific sources only but I assume if the kindle one is good to use it will be good to use for other editions too, since from what I can see many books use the same cover across multiple editions.

message 13: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 20061 comments No, we aren't allowed to use covers from one edition to another. We have to match ISBN/ASINs specific to each.

message 14: by Dan (last edited Dec 03, 2018 10:23AM) (new)

Dan | 94 comments Abcdarian wrote: "No, we aren't allowed to use covers from one edition to another. We have to match ISBN/ASINs specific to each."

Okay I assumed if the hardcover, paperback and kindle used the same source themselves then then we could too. Thanks for pointing this out, I will avoid this error in the future!

I would ask how do we check if an ISBN/ASIN assigned to a book is actually valid AND being used?

Also if the cover has to be tied to ISBN how can we use an image from the authors website if there no ISBN associated with that edition. The Librarians handbook says we can use an image from the authors website, I just need it clarified if there has to be an ISBN associated with that edition even then?

For example on the Ronald S Barack website it says Hardcover and paper back is available yet I can not find any hardback or paperback on any amazon site and it has no link to anywhere you can purchase either, it only has links to the kindle version.

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Dan wrote: "I would ask how do we check if an ISBN/ASIN assigned to a book is actually valid AND being used?..."

Dan,
We are only allowed to use the source that do list ISBN or ASIN (if the edition has one).
Amazon, Abebooks, publishers and libraries are usually good in listing those.
If the website (including author website) does not list ISBN we cannot use it as a source.

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Wood (jenniwood) | 37 comments I'm not sure if this is the right place but I'll give it a try....
This is my new book....
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

but it's under the wrong author... it needs to be here, please
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Also, the blurb is my "about me", not the actual blurb... the blurb should be this. Can you please change the blurb and add to the right author page?

~Trigger Warnings!~
This book contains subject matter that might be unsuitable for some readers.
Trigger warnings: Assault, suicidal thoughts.

Dalton Davis answers his phone, expecting it to be a prank call from a number that’s eerily similar to his. When the man pretends he knows him and has a one-sided conversation that proves his suspicion correct, he almost ends the call. The fast thinking of the stranger on the other end of the line likely saves his life, but what will Dalton find when he gets there?

Kannon Butler is an old soul. Working at an old folks home, his friends are his clients and he’s okay with that. Being attacked in broad daylight just doesn’t happen in their small town, except this day, it does. To him. Quick thinking and a prayer, he ends up on the line with Dalton Davis, who quite literally saves his life.

Healing and living are a struggle after being attacked, but Dalton can’t seem to stay away and Kannon doesn’t want him to. With an amazing family who takes him under their wing, and a gorgeous private investigator that makes it his mission to find out who hurt Kannon, what do you think happens?

A story of hurt/comfort and learning to trust again. You know our guys are guaranteed a happily ever after!

Happy Reading!

message 17: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 20061 comments #16: Someone moved the book to your profile; I changed the description. Another time, please start a new topic thread in the "Book Issues" section.