Women of the World discussion

Group Reads > Book List: 2019

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (last edited Dec 04, 2018 01:55PM) (new)

Kirsty (kirstyonbooks) | 427 comments Mod
Here is a master list of all of the books which we will be reading during 2019.

January - Go, Went, Gone by Jenny Erpenbeck (Germany; translated from the German)
February - Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata (Japan; translated from the Japanese)
March - The Shutter of Snow by Emily Holmes Coleman (United States of America)
April - After Midnight by Irmgard Keun (Germany; translated from the German)
May - Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (Japan; translated from the Japanese)
June - Swallowing Mercury by Wioletta Greg (Poland; translated from the Polish)
July - The Bone People by Keri Hulme (New Zealand)
August - The Insomnia Museum by Laurie Canciani (Wales)
September - So Long a Letter by Mariama Ba (Senegal; translated from the French)
October - My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite (Nigeria)
November - Heat and Dust by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala (India)
December - Song of a Captive Bird by Jasmin Darznik (Iran)

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

I’ve just updated the list with the rest of next year’s choices, all of which are relatively new titles, so I hope you find something you haven’t yet read!

message 3: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) Great list - I read Kitchen about 23 years ago, excited to revist. And Keri Hulme - it is so Good, have read multiple times - over the years - it never gets stale. Heat and Dust, yes, Mariana Back, yes. Convenience Store Woman is already down. And the rest BRILLIANT - all new. Very excited, and pleased with your choices.

message 4: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) Mariama Bā - autocorrect!!

message 5: by Kirsty (new)

Mimi wrote: "Thanks Kirsty yes that definitely improves the ratio!"

Excellent!

message 6: by Kirsty (new)

Laura wrote: "Great list - I read Kitchen about 23 years ago, excited to revist. And Keri Hulme - it is so Good, have read multiple times - over the years - it never gets stale. Heat and Dust, yes, Mariana Back,..."

That’s wonderful to hear, Laura! I’ve been wanting to read Keri Hulme for YEARS, so it’s particularly great that you loved that one. I’m looking forward to discussing the books with you!

message 7: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) Hi Kirsty, thank you so much for doing this. I appreciate it. It takes your time, your knowledge etc. I've been trying to/waiting to join an Active group for some time now, and specifically with this type of focus on women writers - from around the world and/or in translation. So - Many Thanks - really excited.
Oooh - do you like Janet Frame, Elizabeth Jolley??

message 8: by Kirsty (new)

Laura wrote: "Hi Kirsty, thank you so much for doing this. I appreciate it. It takes your time, your knowledge etc. I've been trying to/waiting to join an Active group for some time now, and specifically with th..."

Thanks so much for your lovely comment, Laura; it makes it so worth it when I get such nice feedback! I'm so pleased you've found a group that suits what you've been looking for!

I must admit I've never read Elizabeth Jolley, but I really should. Which of her books would you recommend for a 'newbie'? As for Janet Frame, I adored Faces in the Water, and liked Daughter Buffalo, although I've not got around to picking up any of her other books yet. Which are your favourites?

message 9: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) I've not read "Faces in the Water", or "Daughter Buffalo" so both of those - I know he autobiography series, and "Living in the Manioto". She's a great writer, and someone no longer very visible, ditto Elizabeth Jolley - "The Well", is recommended by critics.
The book world - is dominated by marketing forces - if you know what I mean - a lot of money into promoting a relatively small range of New New - language: English/American. I think Goodreads does an excellent job of promoting alternatives to Fiction, poetry for example, and memoirs, children's books, YA etc, but few publishers are re-cycling Virago yes, Persephone, who else: and alternatives to UK/US authors. I remember checking Waterstones Manchester, couple years back for Margaret Laurence, Janet Frame - Nothing!!!

message 10: by Kirsty (new)

Ooh, actually, I did buy a copy of ‘The Well’ in Australia three years ago, and read it on the plane back; I did really enjoy it, and the ahthor’s name must just have slipped my mind - oops! I too have found Margaret Laurence’s books difficult to get hold of. My local library had two in stock, but one copy has been on overdue loan for almost a year now...

message 11: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) Canada is very good at promoting its own literature. It's a little surprising since most write in English that these writers are not so easily accessible in the UK, or probably the US. Ditto New Zealand/Australia - although there is a distinct trend currently to promote former "Colonial countries - writers from Nigeria, Ghana, West Indies, India - in the UK - all of those using English as their written language. Lot of work done by Virago here Buchi Emecheta, Flora Nwapa.

message 12: by Kirsty (new)

Yes, I find it difficult to find books by Canadian authors here generally. I wish I’d bought some titles whilst I was over there!

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (beadlebooks) | 1 comments hello! I'm excited for this, I wouldn't normally pick these books up so it's going to interesting I think :)

message 14: by Kirsty (new)

That’s great to hear, Charlotte!

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Dunn I already ordered Go, Went, Gone and Convenience Store Woman was on my tbr. Love Banana. Good choices, Kirsty.

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie (katierebecca) | 14 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "I've not read "Faces in the Water", or "Daughter Buffalo" so both of those - I know he autobiography series, and "Living in the Manioto". She's a great writer, and someone no longer very visible, d..."

Popping in to express my love for Janet Frame's Owls Do Cry!

message 17: by Kirsty (new)

Cynthia wrote: "I already ordered Go, Went, Gone and Convenience Store Woman was on my tbr. Love Banana. Good choices, Kirsty."

Fantastic, Cynthia; I’m so pleased you’re joining in!

message 18: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) ooh yes - Owls Do Cry - forgot that!

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie (spanielssometimes) | 2 comments I've never read any of these books so this is very exciting! I've been wanting to branch out and read more books I wouldn't normally pick up.

message 20: by Kirsty (new)

That's great, Katie; I hope you find something you love!