Women of the World discussion

General > Introductions Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyonbooks) | 427 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for joining Women of the World. This is a group open to anyone of any gender, who wishes to read more literature by women, or just wants to pick up one of our group reads and join in with some of our discussions.

Please introduce yourself here, and let us know what your favourite book written by a woman is.

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

My name is Kirsty, and I decided to set up this group so that I could discuss books with likeminded readers. I have just finished my second Master's degree in English Literature, and live in the United Kingdom with my boyfriend.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie (katierebecca) | 14 comments Mod
My name is Katie, me and Kirsty met through the world of books and have been conducting various book clubs (successful or otherwise) ever since! I have just completed my Masters degree in Eighteenth Century Studies and also live in the UK.

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

I have a good feeling that Goodreads will help us to keep the book club going this time!

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Durrant  | 1 comments My name is Mary, thank you for the invite Kirsty.
I have always been an avid reader from young, always have a book on the go and take one with me wherever I go.
My favourite book is Middlemarch, love the classics which is my favourite genre.

message 6: by Marija (new)

Marija | 3 comments Hey girls! My name is Marija- I am 17, in love with books and languages (I am learning English, German and Italian) and starting my Bachelor in music (hopefully in Germany) soon :)
Thanks for inviting me here! I wish you a wonderful week and am looking forward to some good books💖🏵

message 7: by Luca (new)

Luca (teacupinthebooknook) Hi everyone! Thanks for the invitation! My name is Luca, I live in Hungary, and I'm a psychologist. My favourite book is The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

message 8: by Kirsty (new)

Welcome to the group, Mary, Marija, and Luca! It’s so lovely to see you all here.

message 9: by Debi G. (new)

Debi G. (mrsgeorgereads) Hello, all! I live in the U.S. and I teach literature and composition to high school seniors (the year before they enter university or career life). Goodreads is my favorite social media platform and this group's reading list offers an intriguing supplement to face-to-face book clubs.

MaryannC. Book Freak (maryanncolebooksaredelish) | 2 comments Hi Everyone, my name is Maryann and I am from Wisconsin, my passion is reading History and Historical Fiction, I'm probably a book hoarder because I have many books that I haven't gotten around to reading. I also like having books around somehow they bring comfort to me, thus I have a few large stacks in my bedroom. My favorite book is Gone With The Wind because I admire Scarlett O' Hara's strength and determination, thank you for inviting me to this group!

message 11: by Lorin✨ (new)

Lorin✨ (tearecsreview) Hello! Everyone sounds so interesting, this is a great idea!

I'm Lorin, I live in Edinburgh (Scotland). I studied History at uni and have a book blog. The last book I read and loved was Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss - if you haven't already, please pick it up!

MaryannC. Book Freak (maryanncolebooksaredelish) | 2 comments Kirsty wrote: "My name is Kirsty, and I decided to set up this group so that I could discuss books with likeminded readers. I have just finished my second Master's degree in English Literature, and live in the Un..."

Congrats Kirsty in receiving your second Masters in English Lit.that's phenomenal!

message 13: by Kirsty (new)

Welcome to the group, Debi, Mimi, Maryann, and Lorin! It’s great that you’ve all joined, and what wonderful reasons you’ve all given for being here.

I really enjoyed ‘Ghost Wall’ too Lorin, and definitely need to get around to ‘Gone With the Wind’ at some point, Maryann!

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary H. Hi to everyone! My name is Mary and thanks to Kirsty who is a long time friend on Goodreads. I like classics, between the wars fiction, reading from the Virago list and mystery. Looking forward to reading more women authors and browsing everyone's book lists.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone! I'm a 15-year-old boy from Serbia, so I'd say that I don't quite suffice for the group, but still, I'll be very glad to join you. I mostly read literary and historical fiction, but I'd give pretty much anything a try.

On a side note, my favourite wife of Henry VIII is Catherine Parr, and I'm interested in feminist/gender interpretations of classic literature.

message 16: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) Hi, thank you for the invitation. Very difficult question - The favourite book - currently I think Iris Murdoch's
The Bell - it evoked in me such strong feelings of being 18 again, on the cusp of Life - setting out. Quite extraordinary. So many books by women have allowed me to see, know, and help me to under myself - it's a gift that these writers have openly given of themselves, and I think primarily to - other women. Jean Rhys, Alice Walker, Rebecca West, Antonia White, Willa Cather, Edith Wharton, Anne Brönte, L.M. Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, Anna Burns, Daisy Johnson - so many wonderful writers sharing their more most intimate, and heartbreaking experiences, their anger, and their joys.

message 17: by Kirsty (new)

MaryannC.Book Fiend wrote: "Kirsty wrote: "My name is Kirsty, and I decided to set up this group so that I could discuss books with likeminded readers. I have just finished my second Master's degree in English Literature, and..."

Thank you so much, Maryann; that’s so kind!

message 18: by Kirsty (new)

It’s so great to see you here, Mary, Konstantin, and Laura! This is a group which welcomes everyone as members, whether female or not, and I’m hoping that the diversity of the group’s members is going to make our discussions even more interesting.

Laura, you’ve mentioned so many authors I’ve been meaning to revisit, or haven’t yet tried!

message 19: by Geevee (new)

Geevee Hi all, I'm Geevee and live in the UK. Thanks to Kirsty for the invitation. I read a good amount of history social, military and political and some fiction. I'm looking forward to picking up some great reads from you all. Two of the best books I have read this year have been by and about women:

A Woman's Work by Harriet Harman A Woman's Work by Harriet Harman

and

Hearts And Minds The Untold Story of the Great Pilgrimage and How Women Won the Vote by Jane Robinson Hearts And Minds: The Untold Story of the Great Pilgrimage and How Women Won the Vote by Jane Robinson

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (spaceandlines) (spaceandlines) | 1 comments Hi all! I'm Kelly and I live in the US. Thanks Kirsty for the invite ^^ My favorite books I read this year so far are probably Pachinko by Min Jin Lee and My Favorite Thing is Monsters by Emil Ferris.

I'm super pumped to be reading more women authors!

message 21: by Canadian Reader (new)

Canadian Reader Laura wrote: "Hi, thank you for the invitation. Very difficult question - The favourite book - currently I think Iris Murdoch's
The Bell - it evoked in me such strong feelings of being 18 again, on the cusp of ..."

Laura, I loved The Bell, too, though it’s been a long time since I read it! I seldom see anyone mention it. Glad you did.

message 22: by Kirsty (new)

Welcome to the group, Geevee, Kelly, and Canadian! It’s lovely to have you all here. I’ve added all of the books you’ve mentioned to my TBR list!

message 23: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 2 comments Hey Kirsty, thanks for the invite!
I'm Daisy, I live in the Netherlands. And obviously just like you guys I love reading. Sadly I don't have a lot bookish friends like I used to, to talk about books. So I love to chat about it online.

My favorite books by female authors are Educated by Tara Westover and If We Were Villians by M.L. Rio.

message 24: by My Book Strings (new)

My Book Strings (mybookstrings) Hi Kirsty and Everyone Else,

I'm happy to join this group. I love historical fiction and non-fiction and the Classics. My favorites are Edith Wharton and Willa Cather. I have a weak spot for North American literature, but I am always happy to discover writers from other parts of the world.

message 25: by Kirsty (new)

Welcome to the group, Daisy and My Book Strings! It’s great that you’ve both joined, and I’m looking forward to discussing books with you!

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (cloudbusting) Hi Everyone, thanks for the invite to your new group, Kirsty! :)

Im Andrea, I live in Australia and really want to try and read more in 2019! 2018 was not a good reading year for me, but I did read a few great books like The Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremain and Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Morata. My Favourite female authors are probably Barbara Pym and Jane Gardam.
Looking forward to being in a group and discussing some interesting books over the next year!

message 27: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) Hi Andrea, I liked Jane Gardam's "Old Filth", and also "Crusoe's Daughter" and then just could not break into "Bilgewater" - something about the character set up.
And Barbara Pym - just recently found her.

message 28: by Kirsty (new)

It’s so lovely to see you here Andrea! Welcome to the group.

message 29: by Katie (new)

Kirsty wrote: "I have a good feeling that Goodreads will help us to keep the book club going this time!"

I hope so!

Welcome everyone! I very much look forward to getting started.

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (cloudbusting) Mimi, Excellent Women is my favourite Pym, such a wonderful book! :)

Tamsien West (Babbling Books) (tamsienwest) Hi everyone! I'm Tamsien, also known as Babbling Books on instagram. I live in Australia. Since around 2012 I have been really actively trying to read around the world, to diversify my reading. This has grown to focus more on reading writing by women that is in translation, as my digging into the world of translation revealed that women are translated far less often than men (who are in turn translated into dominant publishing languages like English also quite rarely).

It's so hard to pick a favourite book by a woman of all time, but a translated book I loved this year was Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata.

message 32: by Kirsty (new)

Welcome to the group, Tamsien! Your project sounds wonderful; I joined in with the Around the World in 80 Books challenge this year, and very much enjoyed it. It’s great to see that you loved one of our group choices for next year!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, thanks for the invite to this group!

I'm Yasmine, I've recently moved back to the UK after teaching abroad for the past 4-5 years. I think some of my favourite books this year from female writers have to be Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie, The Idiot by Elif Batuman and The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy.

I'm so looking forward to exploring new-to-me authors with you guys over the upcoming year!

message 34: by Kirsty (new)

Welcome to the group, Yasmine! It's going to be lovely to chat to you about all things books. I definitely need to read The Idiot soon! How have you found your teaching experience, and what's next for you?

message 35: by Claire (last edited Dec 12, 2018 10:45AM) (new)

Claire (clairemcalpine) | 17 comments I love reading women writers from around the world and in particular translations, which promise insights into other cultures, ways of life and storytelling.

I have a particular fondness for Caribbean women writers, who feature among some of my absolute favourite books, such as

The Bridge of Beyond by Simone Schwartz Bart
The autobiography of My Mother by Jamaica Kincaid
Victoire: My Mother's Mother by Marse Condé

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie (spanielssometimes) | 2 comments Hello, and thank you for the invite!

I'm Katie and I live in the United Kingdom. I've just finished my BA in English literature and will be starting my Masters in September to study cultural heritage management, as I want to become a museum curator.

At the moment, I'm really into French authors, and two of my favourites are Colette and Anais Nin.

xox

message 37: by Kirsty (new)

Welcome to the group, Claire and Katie! It's lovely to have you both here.

Katie, I'd love to hear more about your MA! It sounds wonderful. I too love French authors.

message 38: by Amelina (new)

Amelina Hi Everyone, I'm Amelina and I'm from Canada. So glad I found this group. Favourite book: anything by the Brontës.

message 39: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (cloudbusting) Hi Amelina, I love the Brontes too :) welcome to the group

message 40: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 79 comments Hi thank you for the invite. My name is Carrie, I'm from Newfoundland Canada, a mommy to a budding bookworm. And I'm in need of more bookshelves as I'm starting to lose floor space....

message 41: by Kirsty (new)

Welcome to the group, Carrie! It’s lovely to see you here. I’m having the same conundrum too.

message 42: by Katie (new)

Welcome everyone!

Carrie - I have the same issue (as I imagine a lot of us do). I often have a few piles of books next to my bookcase, and maybe a few piles on top of it too...

message 43: by Manika (new)

Manika | 11 comments Hello, hello!

I thought I had made an introduction but it turned out it only happened in my head :).

My name is Manika, I'm French. Thus I read in both English and French, which I think is a blessing, because I have access to an even greater variety of books.
Once upon a time, I could read up to 12 books a month by reading several at once.
However, since I became a mother 6 months ago, if I can read 2 books a month, well I am beyond myself!
I hope to have wonderful discussions here with people from different or same reading background.

message 44: by Kirsty (new)

Welcome to the group, Manika! It’s lovely to have you here. I’m hoping that you’ll give me the courage to finally pick up an Amelie Nothomb book in French; I’ve had it on my shelf for such a long time.

message 45: by Gaby (new)

Gaby S. (caosparalelos) | 1 comments Hello, I just found this group and I really like the idea.
My name is Gaby. I am a former bookseller from Guatemala, currently studying a MA in Literary Translation in the UK.

message 46: by Kirsty (new)

Welcome to the group, Gaby!

message 47: by Karen (last edited May 15, 2019 07:46AM) (new)

Karen | 10 comments Hi, I'm Karen. Last year I decided to read one book by one author from every country in the world. Mostly I am looking for native-born writers, but will extend that to include non-native residents, if they have become part of their new culture, and to those who have emigrated. I am currently focusing on countries in Africa and South and Central America, but go further afield if something catches my eye.

I tend to prefer books written by women and will only discuss those in this group.

message 48: by Kirsty (last edited May 15, 2019 11:17PM) (new)

Welcome to the group, Karen! That sounds like a very fulfilling project. We do have a similar challenge running here in the group, but all of the authors are women. There are some threads and lots of resources if you want to have a look.

message 49: by Karen (new)

Karen | 10 comments Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone is reading.

message 50: by Fuule (new)

Fuule Hi everyone,
I'm happy to have found this group ! I'm French and live in Normandy, a region which offers nice places to read : on the beach, near a river or like today, at home while it's raining outside...
I mostly read novels, poetry and essays. Last year, I decided to read more women writers and to discover writers from other continents to broaden my view on world litterature. I look forward to interchanging ideas and opinions about books with you all :)

« previous 1