We Are Libertarians Book Club discussion

Them: Why We Hate Each Other - and How to Heal
This topic is about Them
How is "Them" going so far?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hodey, Moderator (last edited Dec 03, 2018 12:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hodey Johns (goodreadscomhodeyjohns) | 43 comments Mod
Just checking in to see where you're at, if you've started, finished, gave up after you didn't like it, or just barely reserved your copy of Them: Why We Hate Each Other - and How to Heal. I've heard Ben Sasse speak before and he talked about a few of the stories in the book, but in a different light. I'm 1/4 done so far. Also doing a role call to see who is actually participating in the club, and you'll get more say in choosing books as well as pace at which we read.

Sara Morrell | 1 comments I just finished the first chapter (had to finish another book before starting this one), and have enjoyed it so far. As a former teacher, the section about the Goodnight Moon Gap hit home hardest. That is definitely apparent in today’s public schools, at least in suburban Indiana.

message 3: by Hodey, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Awesome! He definitely sets it up well. I kind of blurred the chapters in my head, but I think he sets up the things about deaths of despair and decreasing life expectancy. It's odd to have an invisible epidemic, but we're feeling it. When he establishes the difference between depression and loneliness. Wow, I felt that big time.

message 4: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose Tekstar | 2 comments Hello everyone! I hope I’m not too late, I joined the group and ordered my book tonight. I look forward to some thoughtful discussion. I tried to find some details about how long the book is discussed, the time allotted for reading and such but I didn’t see anything. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

message 5: by Hodey, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hey Rose! You're just fine. I wanted to wait for a few more people to join before we started putting time limits on it, so your timing couldn't be better.

message 6: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen (ktenarrow) | 3 comments I started with the Kindle sample before actually purchasing the book, interesting premise but it was a bit gloomy.
Hopefully the rest of the book has a more hopeful and “healing” vibe...

Amazon delivers tomorrow!

Hadley | 16 comments Hey all. Working my way thru book, and enjoying it so far. Need to get moving as I'm only about 1/4 the way thru.
Hodey, what is the plan in reference to reviewing books? Not sure if there really is a good forum to discuss or not on this site (as I just signed up recently), but will we share our thoughts about each book or is the main focus to go thru the reading list together?

Off topic comment - Hodey, thanks for all the research you do for Dear Leader and the Daily's you have co-hosted for the podcast. I have really enjoyed listening.

message 8: by Hodey, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hadley wrote: "Hey all. Working my way thru book, and enjoying it so far. Need to get moving as I'm only about 1/4 the way thru.
Hodey, what is the plan in reference to reviewing books? Not sure if there really i..."

Thanks Hadley, that means a lot to me. We are trying to get OFF of Facebook, so I believe we will discuss the books here. However, we are also going to do a LIVE review and discuss the book on a Zoom chat each month. This discussion will only be available to Patreon subscribers, but if you're reading, you get to be part of the conversation.

Hadley | 16 comments Ok great. Thanks Hodey.

message 10: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen (ktenarrow) | 3 comments Thanks Hodey!
I deactivated my FB so I’m happy to hear we won’t be using it 😊
I’m also moving slowly through this book, I just started a mini-mester and I’m slammed with accounting homework, so I don’t expect to get finish the book anytime in the next 4 weeks. 😕

message 11: by Hodey, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm sorry to hear that but glad you have your priorities lined up. I'm sure you can still be a part of the discussion; it's not really a book that has a lot of "spoilers" in it.

Nick Taylor | 1 comments This book (and maybe a few other things I have been reading recently) has convinced me to finally ditch Facebook. It’s by far the biggest waster of my time. Thanks for recommending such a great book!

message 13: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine Iverson | 1 comments I listened to THEM instead of reading and I have to say it being read in the author's own voice was really great. I may not have been able to appreciate it as much without that authenticity behind it. While I don't come to all of the same conclusions he does: over all I think he had a lot of great points to make and some good advice.

message 14: by Hodey, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I also listened to it since it was his voice, and I agree, it added a lot to be able to hear his personal inflections.