Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Aubrey's 2019 Old and New Classics by People of Color Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 04, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've been inspired by Erin to devote this challenge to reading classics by people of color, drawing heavily from the 100 Must-Read Classics by People of Color list, which you can find here if you're interested .

I'd like to think that I'll acquire more of the list classics as 2019 continues, but for now I'll fill in the rest with works I personally feel fulfill the label of 'classic'.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments I’m liking your choices and look forward to reading your reviews! 😁

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Thanks Erin :)

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
All I can speak to is Pedro Paramo, which I haven’t read, but I hope it wins short story someday. Good luck.

message 6: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Thanks Bob. I hope it wins too.

message 7: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 23, 2018 07:51PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I like the publication year that lots of people are adding to the tail end of their entries, so that's what I'm going to do (after I get some dinner in me).

message 8: by Brina (new)

Brina Is this a goodreads list or outside source? I should make it a point to read most of these. I think I’ve only read about 10 as of now.

message 9: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 24, 2018 08:05AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Brina wrote: "Is this a goodreads list or outside source? I should make it a point to read most of these. I think I’ve only read about 10 as of now."

It's from Book Riot. They also made a 100 classics by women list that's worth checking out. My personal challenge board has links to both.

message 10: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you and I’m right I have only read 10, yet another ongoing project to read.

message 11: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 96 comments Your challenge looks great and thanks for the list. I've read some of them, but found a lot of books I'd like to get to.

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Your challenge looks great and thanks for the list. I've read some of them, but found a lot of books I'd like to get to."

Brina wrote: "Thank you and I’m right I have only read 10, yet another ongoing project to read."

I'm glad to hear that, Brina and Karen. I hope you both make some inadvertently wonderful discoveries amongst the less renowned classics.

message 13: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I enjoy looking at the various Book Riot must read lists. I've found many books to add to my mountainous TBR from some of them.

message 14: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Laurie wrote: "I enjoy looking at the various Book Riot must read lists. I've found many books to add to my mountainous TBR from some of them."

Same, Laurie.

message 15: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments What a great idea, Aubrey!
I'm afraid to admit my own list is exceedingly white, except for two or three authors.

message 16: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments No shame in admitting that you see it as an issue, Petrichor. It just means you have a lot of, often unfortunately underread, works that could use your engagement.

message 17: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've completed Spring Essence: The Poetry of Hô Xuân Huong and posted my review above.

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Off to a great start on your challenges! :D

message 19: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Thanks Erin :)

message 20: by Aubrey (new)

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra You're off to a wonderful start! Two completed books already. That's terrific!

message 22: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Thanks, Petra. Admittedly, those two were amongst the shorter works on this list, but as I'm currently in the midst of reading the 2200+ page behemoth that is 'The Story of the Stone', I think I'm allowed to balance it with much shorter works when I can.

message 23: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've completed Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata and posted my review above.

message 24: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've completed Our Nig by Harriet E. Wilson and posted my review above.

message 25: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments Great list! What's your favourite among the four you've read so far?

message 26: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Thanks, Lotte. I'd have to say Thousand Cranes tops the list for now.

message 27: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've finished Clotel: or, The President's Daughter and posted my review above.

message 28: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've finished The Woman in the Dunes and linked to my review above.

message 29: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've finished Second-Class Citizen and linked to my review above.

message 30: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments You are killing it with your challenges, Aubrey :). wtg!

message 31: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Thanks, MK. I'd be going a lot faster if I had less challenges, so I guess it's a good thing that I have so many. Makes me look more normal :P

message 32: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments :D

message 33: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I'm glad to hear that Thousand Cranes is at the top of your list (at least for now). I have it on one on my lists this year!

message 34: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Tammy wrote: "I'm glad to hear that Thousand Cranes is at the top of your list (at least for now). I have it on one on my lists this year!"

Apologies for the late response, Tammy, but that's good to hear.

In addition, I've finished Halfbreed and posted my review above.

message 35: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've finished Pedro Páramo and posted my review above.

message 36: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've completed The Confessions of Lady Nijō and linked to my review above.

message 37: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've completed 'The Story of the Stone' and put my review for the final fifth volume above. I'll figure out how I want to link to all the volumes later.

message 38: by Petra (new)

Petra Aubrey, you're doing great with this challenge! Terrific progress!

message 39: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Thanks Petra. Unlike some of my other challenges, this one doesn't draw upon books I have to go to libraries for, so I'll probably finish it sooner than my others.

message 40: by Petra (new)

Petra That is my strategy this year, too: read the books I already have. Sadly (or not), I'm still visiting the library too much and reading those books. I need to look at my at-home bookshelves first.

message 41: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Ha ha, my problem is that I'm too well connected with book sales to bypass supplementing my already hundreds of books with more which cost a buck on average. As an aspiring librarian, I really should be supporting libraries in the area more instead of just increasing my own.

message 42: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments I've completed 'Some Prefer Nettles' and linked to my review above. At this stage I'm technically done, but I'm nothing if not a completionist.

message 43: by Petra (new)

Petra Aubrey, great review.
Congratulations on being technically finished already! I look forward to when you complete the last 2 books on your list.

message 44: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Thanks, Petra. They should happen sooner rather than later.

message 45: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Aaaand I've wrapped this one up as well, bonuses and all. Woot.

message 46: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Congrats on finishing your challenge, you’ve smashed it this year!

message 47: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Well done, Aubrey. You are burning through your challenges.

message 48: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
Congratulations on a finished challenge! You always introduce me to new authors and books. Thanks.

message 49: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Thanks all, and I'm glad to hear it, Lynn. I tend to specialize in the eclectic and the obscure these days.

message 50: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Congratulations!

« previous 1