Books and Jams Readalong discussion

The Power - Dec 2018 > Part 1 - up to "Eight years to go"

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
This book is set up a bit differently than others, so hopefully the sections that I make for the discussions are clear. Please try not to have spoilery comments if you're commenting after you've read beyond this point.

What did you think of the beginning. Did the book draw you right in to the story? We follow a few different women. Are you connecting more with any of them?

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments The book has drawn me in. But there are certain passages dealing with religious matters that I am not agreeing with and finding hard to read.

message 3: by Michala (new)

Michala | 7 comments I found the first few chapters so interesting! After that it was just fine. It has intrigued me but I dont relate more to one woman. I think that the drawings after each “chapter” are exciting. I’m just looking forward to reading more. And really curious to see what we are counting down to.

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill (penwiper42) | 20 comments I liked Margot on the whole but the rest of the women were more of a miss to me. For the most part this felt like a book that was doing a lot more telling than showing.

It seemed as though if the book didn't have multiple POVs it would be a REALLY short story without too much to say other than "You think just men are awful, but no, let's not forget what would happen if women got power--yeah, that's right, EVERYONE is a a jerk or they're a scheeple-until they have someone they think is less than themselves." and "Oh yeah, let's not forget all these religious people. They're such hypocrites/manipulators/idiots."

That said, The Power went into more detail about the entire jerkiness of men in particular than I prefer. 0_0 (can't unread some of those things, but I can darn sure try, and I had to skim a bit here and there. *sensitive reader here, I know*)

I got to about page 100 before giving up on the book. Just not my thing. I skimmed the ending and I don't think I missed much? But I will follow the discussion to see if others disagree with me!

message 5: by Bokcamilla (new)

Bokcamilla | 8 comments It´s easy to get stuck in the story, I like all the diffrent POV we get. I felt much intrest in the story.

message 6: by Elsa (new)

Elsa I am having some difficulty keeping the various POVs straight because I went a few days between readings. I identify the most with Margot. I suppose this is because she is also a mother, but she is much more of a leader than I. I also like Tunde because he is an observer.

message 7: by Krista (new)

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
I am finding this beginning part both interesting and a bit confusing. It's spending a lot of time setting the scene and telling about the spreading of this ability. Women are realizing their power and rising up against oppression and awful situations but I have a feeling the awfulness won't stop, but will just change. Power changes people or draws out that dark side. I am a bit confused about the different povs but that's probably because I've been reading off and on in the midst of reading other books too. I think I may just set this one down til after Christmas because it doesn't have the cozy vibe I'm craving these days.

message 8: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments Krista wrote: "I am finding this beginning part both interesting and a bit confusing. It's spending a lot of time setting the scene and telling about the spreading of this ability. Women are realizing their power..."

I agree Krista. This is just too much for me right now. I don't agree with the religious references and some parts are just too vulgar.