PenPal Readers discussion

⛲ Back to the Classics - ongoing > Back to the Classics - Info, Sign-up, Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 04, 2019 08:50AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Back to the Classics Yearly Challenge
Starts: Jan. 1, 2019 , Ends: Dec 31 2019
Join in anytime!

If you're looking for inspiration to add some classics to your reading in 2019, then you will want to do this challenge :)

Thank you to member Jazzy Lemon who will lead this, as she has read many hundreds if not thousands of classics book, and is definitely a grand-master of the genre!

The challenge will include a task list, group reads, lively discussion, and more. So get ready to discover some really great books to enrich your reading!
---------------------------------------------------

DEFINITION:
A classic is a book generally accepted as being exemplary or noteworthy, often endorsed through inclusion on lists of greatest books. (Wikipedia) Or, according to Mark Twain, a classic is "a book that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read" 😊

We'll keep the focus on classics that have "stood the test of time", so the book should be at least 50 years old. (publish date of 1969 and earlier)

LIST OF BOOKS:
As a resource for this challenge, this listing of classics is comprehensive, and provides filtering by years https://thegreatestbooks.org/

TASKS:
The tasks are a starting point for setting individual and group goals. Don't be intimidated, you don't have to complete them all. Even if you want to add just ONE classic to your reading, join the challenge, it's sure to be fun and broaden horizons!

- A really old classic – published before 1800
- A classic with a single-word title. (ie. Emma, Middlemarch, Kidnapped, etc.)
- A classic by an author you’ve never heard of before.
- A classic you can read in a day – under 200 pages
- A 19th century classic - published between 1800 and 1899.
- A classic in translation - originally published in a language other than your native language.
- A children's classic.
- A banned or challenged classic.
- A classic that scares you. Is there a classic you've been putting off forever? Is it a really long or complex book that has intimidated you?
- A 20th century classic - published between 1900 and 1969
- A classic that has been made into a movie, television series/mini-series, or theater production
- A classic published in the year one of your parents or grandparent's were born in. (or your own birth year if before 1969)
- A classic crime story (fiction or non-fiction).
- A classic travel or journey narrative (fiction or non-fiction.) (ie. The Hobbit, Around the World in 80 Days, Kon-Tiki, Travels with Charley, etc. )
- A classic with a color in the title. (ie. The Woman in White; Anne of Green Gables; The Red and the Black.)
- Re-read a favorite classic. And tell us why you love it so much.

[Credit: the inspiration for the tasks (with modifications) came from this blog: https://karensbooksandchocolate.blogs...]

GROUP READS
Group Read of a BIG classic
Les Miserables - 12 month reading schedule Jan-Dec
Les Miserables - 6 month reading schedule Jan - June
(We'll add a second BIG group read for Jul-Dec, based on interest)

Buddy Reads - simply post a comment below with the book you'd like to buddy read and approximate timing, and once there's at least two people interested, we'll set-up a thread for that book.

TRACKING your classics read - 2 options:
OPTION 1) You can track your classics books on our spreadsheet which is here.. You add your books to the tab 'Our Books'. The totals summarize automatically on the tab 'Chaucer Cafe'.

OR if you prefer, OPTION 2) You can track your reads in your own thread in this challenge folder. Simply create a 'new topic' and save it to the 'Back to the Classics' folder. Title it with your name ie. 'Anne's Classics Tracking'.

Mods/members are always happy to help, we can add your books to the spreadsheet for you, or we can help you get your tracking thread set-up, just let us know if you'd like ANY help!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...
--------------------------------------------------

DISCUSSION & INSPIRATION & RESOURCES
Please join us for discussion in any of the threads set-up, and feel free to start a new thread too. You can see all the currently set-up threads here in the folder

Our Classics Grand-Master for this challenge is Jazzy Lemon, who has read thousands of classics and loves to talk all things classics!
--------------------------------------------------

FAQ
There is a tab in the spreadsheet titled FAQ, I've also listed the same FAQ as a new thread here.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann | 38 comments I definitely want to do this challenge. When will it start?

message 3: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Ann wrote: "I definitely want to do this challenge. When will it start?"

Awesome! It's a 2019 challenge, so will start Jan. 1st and end Dec 31st - I forgot to add that info to the post :)

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna (annabergb) I’ll join this challenge😊

message 5: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Therese wrote: "I'd like to join this challenge as well! How will it be organized? Will there be a separate thread?"

Anna and Therese - GREAT you're joining this challenge!!!

Therese - For now this is the main thread for conversation, but as the challenge starts up in January we'll add any other threads needed, and can have it all in a separate folder. Stay tuned for more details...

message 6: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments CLASSICS!! I'm definitely in!! Yeay!

message 7: by Anne ✨ (last edited Dec 22, 2018 08:03AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Looking for input to choose a BIG classic book for a group read. Vote on two polls on the book and the pacing for the read:
Group polls are here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

message 8: by Anne ✨ (last edited Dec 22, 2018 06:36AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments And here is our TRACKING SPREADSHEET as we've done for previous challenges:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

As this is an annual challenge, we weren't sure if you'd want to be tracking all your reads or only classics reads, or prefer to track in a thread instead, so let us know your preferences in this poll. We can have different options available to suit...
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 9: by joanna (new)

joanna (nnewt) | 33 comments I’d love to join this! Count me in :)

message 10: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 9 comments Hello from a long-term lurker. I'm eager to jump in and clear off my TBR shelves/boxes/random stacks lying all over the house annoying my husband.
I'm an English teacher and it is truly embarrassing how many classics I have not read.
Count me in.

message 11: by Ankit (new)

Ankit | 4 comments Please sign me up for the challenge! 😊

message 12: by Sami (new)

Sami (indulgentreaders) | -1 comments Please sign me up. I have read a few classics but feel that I should read a few more!

message 13: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Put my name on the spreadsheet too!! I'll definitely finish les mis in 2019 plus some more classics won't hurt.

message 14: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 01, 2019 08:24AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Essie, Gaijinmama, Ankit, Sam, Mion - That's wonderful you are participating!

OK, here's a few reminders on how it works:
-----------------------------
TRACKING your classics read - 2 options:
OPTION 1) You can track your classics books on our spreadsheet which is here.. You add your books to the tab 'Our Books'. The totals summarize automatically on the tab 'Chaucer Cafe'.

OR if you prefer,

OPTION 2) You can track your reads in your own thread in this challenge folder. Simply create a 'new topic' and save it to the 'Back to the Classics' folder. Title it with your name ie. 'Anne's Classics Tracking'.

Mods/members are always happy to help, we can add your books to the spreadsheet for you, or we can help you get your tracking thread set-up, just let us know if you'd like ANY help!
---------------------------

FIRST GROUP READ - Big Read
** POLL IS OPEN for voting on a BIG read **
Visit our Polls Page here
Poll #2 is for choosing which BIG read we'll tackle
Poll #3 is for choosing the duration (3,6,12 month) for the BIG read
Poll#1 is for preference on tracking your books for this challenge
- POLLS CLOSE JAN 6th -
------------------------------------

DISCUSSION & INSPIRATION & RESOURCES
Please join us for discussion in any of the threads set-up, and feel free to start a new thread too. You can see all the currently set-up threads here in the folder

Our Classics Grand-Master for this challenge is Jazzy Lemon, who has read thousands of classics and loves to talk all things classics!
-------------------------

FAQ
There is a tab in the spreadsheet titled FAQ, I've also listed the same FAQ as a new thread here.

-------------------------------

LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED :) Feel free to begin posting to any of the threads, or adding your classics book you are currently reading to the tracking!

message 15: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 01, 2019 09:12AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Who's starting a CLASSICS BOOK TODAY????

I'm TRYING to start The Pillars of the Earth ...my cat Boo is wondering what I'm waiting for! Big books intimidate me LOL! I'm reading this one for task #11 though - book made into a movie, tv series/mini-series, or theater production.

message 16: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 11, 2019 11:32AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Since Les Misérables won the poll, I've started in on it. Last time I read a translation by Hapgood so this time I'm reading one by Denny!

Big books never scare or intimidate me so for the 'book that scares you' ???? I can't answer that the way it was written. I'll just pick a 'scary' book, probably Frankenstein.

Or something by Raymond Chandler.

PS Boo is cute =^.^=

message 17: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments CLARIFICATION on the definition of a classic that we'll use for this challenge

After conferring with grand-master Jazzy, we're going to keep the focus of this challenge on classics that have "stood the test of time". So books at least 50 years old! (1969 and earlier)

Which means, my Pillars of the Earth doesn't count as it was first published in 1989 😂 hahahaha challenge fail for me already!!!

message 18: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Ah, and here I was hoping that simply the website's listing would be the only limit

message 19: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments I know Mion! It appears I will have to be dragged into reading “true classics” kicking and screaming 😂 Grand master Jazzy is not going to go easy on us LOL . Every one of my points will be earned with blood sweat and tears!

message 20: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 02, 2019 12:43PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments On a good note, 1965 is my birth year and I’m choosing a book published in that year for another challenge. Dune, by Frank Hebert, pub. 1965, is listed on the Greatest Reads website, so I’m good! Phew!

message 21: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Yes we're lucky to be so old Anne, I've had to change that task to 'a book from the year one of your parents or grandparents was born in' :)

I should get a picture of our new kitten, Gavroche, pawing at the book from where he gets his name. I was reading Les Miserables and he was climbing all over it. Where's me? Read me the part about me! Miaou! ...But I'm not there yet! Patience little Gavroche!

message 22: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 02, 2019 06:50PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Kat wrote: "I'd like to join too! So many classics awaiting me.
I've read Les Miserables already, but I hope all of you have fun with it!"

Awesome, happy to have you join us !! I've added your name to the Cafe tab, so you're ready to go, and can add your books to the 'Our Books' tab as you go!

Tracking spreadsheet is here...

message 23: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Kat wrote: "I'd like to join too! So many classics awaiting me.
I've read Les Miserables already, but I hope all of you have fun with it!"

This is my second reading of 'The Brick' - with a different translator this time. You could read a different translation as well!

message 24: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments As eager as I am to tackle all of those wonderful books, I'm also terrified of not reading enough classics. I've read a lot of them during school and some I'd love to revisit, some however were so long and not particularly fun... So, anyway, recommend me a lot of short classics please!

message 25: by Sami (new)

Sami (indulgentreaders) | -1 comments I have started "The Brick" as Jazzy described it. I am hoping that starting it this early gives me the longest time to nibble away at it!

I am reading other things at the same time, not yet 2 classics at once but I will have to do that slightly further into the year.

Mion, my 2 short classics that I can think of off the top of my head are Frankenstein and A Christmas Carol. As screenplays are also allowed you could try Macbeth, or Dr Faustus as well.

message 26: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 03, 2019 11:10AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments 'The Brick' is the term from the Les Miserables fandom (of which I am a member, surprise, surprise)

Mion, Frankenstein was one of my first thoughts too...
How about:

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote

The Stranger - Albert Camus

(i'll be reading them too)

or one of these:
https://www.bookbub.com/blog/2016/10/...

message 27: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 03, 2019 11:03AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Don't worry about reading enough classics, this could be an ongoing spreadsheet to add your reads to.

message 28: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 03, 2019 11:19AM) (new)

message 29: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 04, 2019 08:01AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments I have set up threads for group reading and discussion of Les Miserables with two reading schedules:

6month reading schedule is here...

12 month reading schedule is here...

You can jump back and forth between the threads/schedules based on how quickly or slowly you are reading!

Happy reading to all who are tackling this chunkster!

message 30: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments I'm in Fantine Book III as of the third of Jan, will let you know how much I read in the next few days.

message 31: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments And Sam and I started on the 1st of January, not the 7th :)

message 32: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 06, 2019 07:51PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura

OK, so this book is not on the Greatest Books website, but it sure looks to me to be a cultural classic, written in English by a Japanese philosopher/author - first published in 1905 ABOUT DRINKING TEA :)

it will enhance your enjoyment and understanding of the seemingly simple act of making and drinking tea.

And for the cherry on top, the audiobook has ~2 hours of japanese flute and ensemble music at the end to enjoy while you're sipping your tea! (and the audiobook is .95cents on Audible)

I LOVE THIS! It counts, right, Jazzy? Pleeeeeaaaasssseee?

It was authored by Okakura Kakuzo, a Japanese philosopher, art expert, and curator. Little known at the time, Kakuzo would emerge as one of the great thinkers of the early 20th century, a genius who was insightful, witty—and greatly responsible for bridging Western and Eastern cultures. Okakura had been taught at a young age to speak English and was more than capable of expressing to Westerners the nuances of tea and the Japanese Tea Ceremony.

In The Book of Tea Classic Edition, he discusses such topics as Zen and Taoism, but also the secular aspects of tea and Japanese life. The book emphasizes how Teaism taught the Japanese many things; most importantly, simplicity. Kakuzo argues that tea-induced simplicity affected the culture, art and architecture of Japan.

Nearly a century later, Kakuzo's The Book of Tea Classic Edition is still beloved the world over

message 33: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Anne ✨ wrote: "The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura

OK, so this book is not on the Greatest Books website, but it sure looks to me to be a cultural classic, written in English by a Japa..."

Since Grand Master Jazzy herself counts Agatha Christie's 4:50 to Paddington, which isn't on the website! , it must count!

message 34: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments yes of course x

message 35: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments what website?
I thought all of Christie's books were classic :)

message 36: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments mion i'm joining you as an invalid for a short time i have flu and cough with high fever and the drugs don't work ahaha

message 37: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments Jazzy wrote: "mion i'm joining you as an invalid for a short time i have flu and cough with high fever and the drugs don't work ahaha"

Get well soon :)

message 38: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Syndi wrote: "Jazzy wrote: "mion i'm joining you as an invalid for a short time i have flu and cough with high fever and the drugs don't work ahaha"

Get well soon :)"

Many thanks! Actually the fever has gone. Let's all have a cup of tea. Which translation of Les Miserables are you reading?

message 39: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments Jazzy wrote: "Syndi wrote: "Jazzy wrote: "mion i'm joining you as an invalid for a short time i have flu and cough with high fever and the drugs don't work ahaha"

Get well soon :)"

Many thanks! Actually the fe..."

Great to hear it, Jazzy.

The one that you added for me on the sheet. By Lee Fahnestock & Norman MacAfee :)

message 40: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Cheers Syndi! I got it from your currently reading books :D

xx

message 41: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Jazzy wrote: "mion i'm joining you as an invalid for a short time i have flu and cough with high fever and the drugs don't wosprainingrk ahaha"

Oh, Jazzy, I hope nothing hinders your getting well again! Unfortunately, I had the bad luck of tripping and my sprained ankle again. I was obviously too eager to go out on long walks with the chance of catching pokémon, so from now on, I will have to stick to staying inside and reading. Not the worst of ways to pass time! I'm hopefully done with exams for now and can enjoy all the classics I have on hand. When I finish Emma, I have a collection of Shakespeare's plays as well as an old edition of Swann in Love sitting on my shelves, begging to be read.

And it was thegreatestbooks website we use for reference! But you're right, all Christie's books are classic, just as well as all books in a classic series are classic (even though the website only lists the first book sometimes). Oh well!

message 42: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 11, 2019 11:33AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments It was syndi's love of Christie that made me pick that one too!

My daughter is coming to visit and I haven't seen her in 15 years! and I'm trying to tidy the flat and my classes start next week!

I think if I sprained my ankle again I'd cry! Poor mion get well soon xx

message 43: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments Mion wrote: "Jazzy wrote: "mion i'm joining you as an invalid for a short time i have flu and cough with high fever and the drugs don't wosprainingrk ahaha"

Oh, Jazzy, I hope nothing hinders your getting well ..."

Get well soon, Mion

message 44: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments Jazzy wrote: "It was syndi's love of Christie that made me pick that one too!

My daughter is coming to visit and I haven't seen her in 15 years! and I'm trying to tidy the flat and my classes start next week! ..."

And now I think I'll start Miss Marple, Superintendent Battle, and Colonel Race's series from Agatha Christie haha

Oh, some of Christie's books were published after 1969 so maybe not all books are eligible for this challenge?

message 45: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Oh, I did cry! But then I settled in my bed, demanded for a cup of tea and a book like a queen, and watched my wish be a command :D I only got out of bed for exams and now all I have to do is wait for the results.

I want to read Christie's books too now! I'll have to wait until Saturday to go through my owned books collection, so until then I have to settle for something a little less exciting...

On a positive note, I look at the spreadsheet and I laugh, thinking about my worry of not reading enough classics. Since an Estonian classic by A.H. Tammsaare comes out as a film in February, I might even pick that up despite agriculture does not fall under my particular interests.

message 46: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments Mion wrote: "Oh, I did cry! But then I settled in my bed, demanded for a cup of tea and a book like a queen, and watched my wish be a command :D I only got out of bed for exams and now all I have to do is wait ..."

Well, every cloud has a silver lining, Mion :D Hope you have a good result.

Happy reading!!

message 47: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 16, 2019 05:59AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Ankit wrote: "Please sign me up for the challenge! 😊"

I hope you've enjoyed your classics read so far, Ankit! I've added your reads to your tracking thread here and to the spreadsheet here. If there are task numbers that these reads go towards, let me know, and I can update that too.

Happy reading!!

message 48: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Mion wrote: On a positive note, I look at the spreadsheet and I laugh, thinking about my worry of not reading enough classics

haha yes, you're on a roll already, as I knew you would be! Awesome!

I on the other hand, laugh at myself that I started with a 56 page book about CATS, and a 133 page book about TEA :) #easingintoit #seriouschallenge #intimidated 😂

message 49: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Well the ones before then, surely! :D

message 50: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 16, 2019 01:22PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments So far I have read 472 pages of Les Miserables.
I am not at
Part Two : Cosette
VIII : Cemeteries Take What They Are Given
Chapter 5 : Not Even Gravediggers Are Immortal

EXCITING STUFF HAPPENING NOW!

I read to this whilst dyeing my hair. Just blonde this time.

« previous 1 3