Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Members > Update on group founder - Nighthawk

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (last edited Dec 02, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 763 comments Mod
Hello all! Book Concierge and I hope that 2018 has been well to everyone.

As some of you may know, Paging All Bookworms! started on Shelfari (now defunct) over a decade ago by Nighthawk (real name, Roger). He diligently kept the group going up until the move on to Goodreads where he decided it was best to step down with his busy schedule and gave Concierge and I his blessing to continue. And here we are today, all thanks to Roger!

With that being said, I have continued communication with Roger since. A couple months back, he went to the hospital with extreme pain only to be told something his family never expected - he has stage 4 colon cancer. Since then, even with insurance, medical bills have begun to pile up as he fights the cancer through chemo, surgery, and many hospital stays. A GoFundMe was started to help Roger (and his wife, Laura) to help with bills.

This holiday season, we ask that you check out the GoFundMe page, share, donate if the possibility is there. Without Roger, this group wouldn't be possible. More than that, he is a great friend, husband, and father and in need of help.

Thank you, so much.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-roger-t...

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2466 comments Mod
Sending prayers and healing thoughts to Roger and his family.

message 3: by Leah (new)

As an update since December, Roger has had his up and downs. He finished his rounds of chemo and had surgery to remove more masses with some setbacks along the way. Overall, he has done quite well. He has to go back into chemo now and our fingers are crossed he heals quickly!

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Continued prayers for Roger. Thank for this update, Leah.

message 5: by Gibberish (new)

Gibberish | 15 comments Sending thoughts and prayers to his family and Nighthawk xx

message 6: by Leah (new)

It's been over 2 years since my last update! Sadly, Roger is STILL fighting cancer and is going through chemotherapy and surgeries. Roger is most definitely a fighter! There is good news though - Roger and his wife became grandparents and are relishing in their role...and certainly not spoiling their grandchild at all ;-)

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

So glad he's still fighting! So sorry that the cancer hasn't yet been beaten.

So happy for him and his family on the new "edition"!

message 8: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 660 comments Thanks for the update. I wish him well.