Into the Forest discussion

Reading Challenge > 2019 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Dear Mods,

Are there any plans in the works for a 2019 Challenge?

message 2: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4438 comments Mod
Absolutely!
Just like last year you reminded us!
Let’s get a thread started up!
I can do it later tonight or feel free to start one up!
Thanks for the reminder !

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Could we use this thread? If that's cool, then everyone (calling all Group Members!) can post their suggestions for the 2019 challenge items here.

message 4: by Jalilah (last edited Dec 02, 2018 03:39PM) (new)

Leah wrote: "Could we use this thread? If that's cool, then everyone (calling all Group Members!) can post their suggestions for the 2019 challenge items here."

Absolutely! When I answered you before I was on my cell and did not see you'd already set up a thread!
Let's start!
I'd like a challenge that exposes me to new reads that I might not have read before, but at the same time is realistic and doable.

message 5: by Leah (last edited Dec 02, 2018 04:48PM) (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Me, too! That's why I like how we usually stick with 12 items total which is doable as one book per month, but we can also read more if we want too.

My suggestions/ ideas are a bit more generalized than previous years' because sometimes the less restrictive, the more participation there is.

ETA: Rather than include it with every challenge item, I figured it was assumed any book selected must fit within our group's subjects: fairy tales, myth and legend.

- An Into the Forest group read winner that you did NOT vote for. Browse the Polls page to see the winners. You'll know whether or not you voted for the winning book if there's a little * in front of the title.

- A book inspired by African mythology or folklore

- An anthology or a single author collection outside your usual go-to genre or subject. For example, if you normally read fairy tales, try an anthology of sci-fi retellings. If you primarily read myth, try a collection of fairy tales.

- A myth or legend you haven't read yet but always meant to (original or modern retelling)

- A book set in a country you're curious about but never been to

- A retelling of a certain tale type you would NOT normally read. For example, if you generally skip tales with animals as protagonists or Little Red Riding Hood retellings, read a book within that type.

- An #ownvoices book; e.g., a story inspired by Indigenous beliefs written by an Indigenous author; a story about Chinese myths written by a Chinese author; a story with LGBTQ character written by a trans author, etc.

And, for bit of a treasure hunt:

- A book with a cover you do NOT like

This one may be deceptive in its simplicity given how often readers do judge a book by its cover. ;)

I can't wait to see what other members suggest this time around.

message 6: by Katy (last edited Dec 12, 2018 08:54AM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments I realize that we did this a few years back, but what about a non-fiction book about folk or fairy tales or mythology

And a tale in verse

message 7: by Cat (new)

Cat (dodger_thirteen) | 34 comments What about two books inspired by the same myth or fairy tale?

message 8: by Margaret (last edited Dec 12, 2018 05:35AM) (new)

Margaret | 3658 comments Mod
Sorry, just now seeing this! I've been super busy.

I've only one to add: A book with less than 100 reviews on Goodreads.

I always like your lists, Leah!

I like everyone else's suggestions. We'll let some other people join in if they want, and then compile them together and start picking away at them until we're at 12. :)

message 9: by Jalilah (new)

Leah wrote: "Me, too! That's why I like how we usually stick with 12 items total which is doable as one book per month, but we can also read more if we want too.

My suggestions/ ideas are a bit more generalize..."

I too love this list Leah!
It seems realistic and doable, yet still challenging!
To include Kathy's wish to read a non-fiction perhaps we can also include a collection of fairy tales that includes an analysis like the books of Maria Tatar?

Cat, I also find the idea of reading 2 books inspired by the same myth or tale very interesting! Would this count as 1 category?

Margaret a book with less than 100 reviews! That's original!

message 10: by Cat (new)

Cat (dodger_thirteen) | 34 comments Jalilah wrote: "Cat, I also find the idea of reading 2 books inspired by the same myth or tale very interesting! Would this count as 1 category? "

Other challenges I've participated in have done this as two prompts, but it's up to the mods' discretion. :)

message 11: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Jalilah wrote: "To include Kathy's wish to read a non-fiction perhaps we can also include a collection of fairy tales that includes an analysis like the books of Maria Tatar?"

Eww, I like that! There are several Tatar and Zipes collections I'd like to read.

But we'd probably want to write it as "fairy tales, folklore, legends or myths". That way, members like Tamara, who lean toward myth-based works, won't feel obligated to read a collection of fairy tales.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Haha, original! :) Sometimes with Book Riot we do roundups of books with less than 100 ratings, and I always find books I love that are rarely read.

I also like the addition of fairytales, folklore, legends, or myth to the non-fiction category.

message 13: by Jalilah (last edited Dec 19, 2018 05:41AM) (new)

I added a few details and one more category and with that we have 12.
Please check everyone to see if it's alright!
It goes without saying this is for Fairy or folktales, mythology or legends!

1. A book with less than 100 reviews on Goodreads

2. An Into the Forest group read winner that you did NOT vote for. Browse the Polls pageto see the winners. You'll know whether or not you voted for the winning book if there's a little * in front of the title.

3. book inspired by African mythology or folklore

4. An anthology or a single author collection outside your usual go-to genre or subject. For example, if you normally read fairy tales, try an anthology of sci-fi retellings. If you primarily read myth, try a collection of fairy tales.

5. A myth or legend you haven't read yet but always meant to (original or modern retelling) or a novel based or inspired by the myth or tale you've never read

6. A book written by a Native American or First Nation or indigenous Australian etc.

7. A book set in a country you're curious about but never been to

8. A retelling of a certain tale type you would NOT normally read. For example, if you generally skip tales with animals as protagonists or Little Red Riding Hood retellings, read a book within that type.

9. An #ownvoices book; e.g., a story inspired by Indigenous beliefs written by an Indigenous author; a story about Chinese myths written by a Chinese author; a story with LGBTQ character written by a trans author, etc.

10. A book with a cover you do NOT like

11. non-fiction book about folk or fairy tales or mythology or a collection that has an analysis or commentary

12. A tale told in verse

message 14: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Looks like a lot of fun :)

Only suggestion I would make would be to hyperlink "the Polls page" to make it super easy for people to find the polls. The link to use is https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/3...

(And then my nitpicky inner editor suggests inserting the missing A at sentence start in #3 and #11.)

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Thanks for posting the roundup Jalilah. I meant to but it slipped my mind in the business of December

message 16: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Okay, silly question here, but is there a list or a tag or some way to quickly find books with under 100 reviews on GR?

message 17: by Jalilah (new)

Leah wrote: "Okay, silly question here, but is there a list or a tag or some way to quickly find books with under 100 reviews on GR?"

Not a silly question at all Leah! I was wondering the same thing! I assumed people will the group will share titles.

message 18: by Margaret (last edited Dec 19, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

You can sort your own books by number of ratings. So one way to do it would be to go to your TBR list, click on settings, and click on num ratings. Then click on that option so they go from low to high.

I suggested it because Book Riot regularly makes a list of under the radar books with less than 100 ratings, called The Best Books You've Never Heard Of. Here are the 2 that have been compiled so far:
https://bookriot.com/2018/08/06/the-b...
https://bookriot.com/2018/04/02/best-...

We can also look at our own read books and make suggestions!

Is everyone okay with that one? I must admit, part of the reason I suggested it was because I'm participating in the Read Harder challenge next year and it's one of the items!

message 19: by Annette (last edited Dec 20, 2018 08:34AM) (new)

Annette | 265 comments Leah wrote: "Okay, silly question here, but is there a list or a tag or some way to quickly find books with under 100 reviews on GR?"

Some kind person has already done this for us! I tried searching for less than 100 reviews and found: Best Fantasy on Goodreads with less than 100 ratings

message 20: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments If you scroll to the bottom of the Endicott Mythic Fiction list, many of these have less than 100 ratings. And if we are talking about Reviews and not just Ratings -- many on the list qualify.

So because the challenge says reviews, I think you will all be surprised at how many books qualify.

message 21: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Katy wrote: "So because the challenge says reviews, I think you will all be surprised at how many books qualify."

Thank you so much for pointing that out! I was reading reviews but interpreting it as ratings.

Margaret wrote: "Is everyone okay with that one? I must admit, part of the reason I suggested it was because I'm participating in the Read Harder challenge next year and it's one of the items!"

Totally. I like when a challenge is at least a little challenging. :-)

Annette wrote: "Some kind person has already done this for us!"

Thanks for sharing!

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Great, we have lots of options for less than 100!

message 23: by Jalilah (new)

Margaret wrote: "Great, we have lots of options for less than 100!"
I think it's a great idea and a good way to give good lesser known books more reviews!

message 24: by Jalilah (new)

The 2019 challenge is set up to start January 1
It's not too late to edit it, so please let me know if you see any errors or want to change anything!
https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...