The Read Around The World Book Club discussion

December 2018 - MAURITIUS > First half of the book

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
Thoughts

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo | 37 comments I’ll admit, it took me a few chapters to get into this, to get used to the short staccato sentences and the poetic language -I see that Ananda Devi is also a poet- but I realized I had to slow down my reading and not try and speed through, it’s not that’s kind of book.

It’s a heart breaking read and very visceral but there are some beautiful lines and it all feels like it’s building towards some big event. There’s almost a feel of Greek tragedy to it, if that makes sense, this inevitability. I’ll be interested to see what everyone else thinks.

message 3: by Lisa10 (new)

Lisa10 | 1 comments I also had to get Used to the Poetic Writing style. I can only read a few chapters Every day because it's so sad and I really want to understand What the writer has written.

message 4: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (modica03) | 82 comments Hi Everyone! I’m gonna sit this one out. Have a great read and Merry Christmas is you celebrate it!

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 37 comments Merry Christmas Stacey!

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieemonaghan) | 59 comments Well this is a bleak book to be reading over the Christmas period! I think I’m not entirely in the right mood for it.

The writing is certainly beautiful and poetic. Quite remarkable. I have highlighted lots of phrases. I agree, this does make for quite slow, thoughtful reading.

Saad is such a creep. His sections really make me uncomfortable. I have a terrible sense of foreboding for part two.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
I am sorry folks but I cannot read this at the moment. I am feeling very anxious and this book has far too many triggers for me.

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo | 37 comments No worries Mel, completely understand as this was a tough one.

message 9: by Beatrizmallow (new)

Beatrizmallow | 36 comments Mod
Don't worry about it!

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindaleehall) | 30 comments Just finished this book and it was a devastatingly haunting story beautifully written. Traumatising but important read.

message 11: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieemonaghan) | 59 comments I’m sorry to hear that, Mel. Definitely sounds like a good idea to put this one aside for now, it’s pretty hard-going. I’m off to read a cosy mystery to recover.

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieemonaghan) | 59 comments Also Merry Christmas to you too Stacey & to you all!