Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
This topic is about Last Argument of Kings
Abercrombie - Various > Last Argument of Kings [Jun 5, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
June 5th.

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments In :)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Yay!

I wonder how many of us will last until the time to read A Little Hatred 🤔 I think I will read up to Best Served Cold at least.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1608 comments I'm out. Sorry, been very overwhelmed of late and only read 100 pages in Blade itself. This trilogy is a reread, so I think I'm going to bow out and refresh on them at tor.com before jumping back in for Best Served Cold...

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Spot 🙂!

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Chris, I have been there, and I think we all understand. There always will be another time 🙂!!!

Chris  (haughtc) | 1608 comments Choko wrote: "Chris, I have been there, and I think we all understand. There always will be another time 🙂!!!"

Thanks, Choko! Im hoping by doing this i can ease up the workload and join for the standalones

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Silvana wrote: "Yay!

I wonder how many of us will last until the time to read A Little Hatred 🤔 I think I will read up to Best Served Cold at least."

I want to.... I think this one will be last with Glokta in it.
Hope Author has added equally interesting characters in the next books in the series.... :P

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Pallavi Sharma wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Yay!

I wonder how many of us will last until the time to read A Little Hatred 🤔 I think I will read up to Best Served Cold at least."

I want to.... I think this one will be last ..."

Yeah....the standalones don't have Glokta. But there are stories on him in Sharp Ends....AND we'll get to meet Glokta again in A Little Hatred! At least that's what I concluded from the blurb.

James (aeos) This is my first read, so the series is still on probation; the first book was great but imo the second slowed down too much to focus on character development. Looking forward to finishing the trilogy!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1049 comments Spot.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Starting today!

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Starting tomorrow:-)

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments starting this weekend ... I guess... :(

James (aeos) 50 pages in.

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Page 112

Jezal and Ardee
(view spoiler)

Bayaz
(view spoiler)

Glokta
(view spoiler)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1049 comments Will be a little late and probably start next Monday. Can’t wait to read all spoilers.

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Starting this tomorrow:)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Page 172
Anyone thought (view spoiler) was too easy? Request for proof was totally disregarded all just hearsay from one person.

James (aeos) @Silvana agreed, it really breaks my suspension of disbelief

James (aeos) Finished part 1.

I'm pretty sure the mystery bank is (view spoiler)

James (aeos) 52% Authority

(view spoiler)

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments :( :(

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments James wrote: "52% Authority

[spoilers removed]"

He's the puppetking-master!

I am now in page 412.

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments James wrote: "Finished part 1.

I'm pretty sure the mystery bank is [spoilers removed]"

I was about to ask about this. I have forgotten what really happened (since this is a reread) but I guess that's good!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Pallavi wrote: ":( :("

what's up?

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Silvana wrote: "Pallavi wrote: ":( :("

what's up?"

I am not able to start at ALL.... :(
You guys are making me Jealous :P

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Pallavi wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Pallavi wrote: ":( :("

what's up?"

I am not able to start at ALL.... :(
You guys are making me Jealous :P"

Awww.... well, Choko and Olivia have not started either ;)

James (aeos) there's still almost a whole month til the next read

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Page 474

Ardee's hatred of maps echoed Joe's own disregard of maps for his First Law books. He only compromised a bit, CMIIW, for The Heroes (book 5).

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments And I want that spinoff on Cosca. Still waiting.

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I started this morning, finally! Very in the beginning, but already I am traumatized by the (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Finished. My rating stays the same even though I did find that the magical stuff is not my favorite at all. I'd rather read more political intrigue and power struggle and would be happy to have Glokta and Jezal's POVs only.

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Up to Ch 12... My goodness, Jezal is dense! Obviously (view spoiler)

James (aeos) Done. Wow.

The action in the last half (view spoiler)

The aftermath (view spoiler)

Glokta (view spoiler)

Jezal (view spoiler)

I just wish the whole series was as good as this book. Amazing.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Yeah I felt bad for Longfoot too. Gosh I hate Bayaz so much.

Also I felt bad for Glokta for losing (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Bayaz is horrible! I am up to Ch 22... He gives the worst advise ever, manipulates everything and everyone, and for a man who has lived as long as he has, he sure has childish tantrums! Things have been going just as I expected them to, but I miss our demon blood girl, Ferro... I like how insane, but still capable of surviving she is! Also, I love the kids with the big weapons:-):-):-)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Ch. 27... That was brutal and sad...:-[

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Up to Ch 37... Nine Fingers fight was awesome! Overall, there is so much tragedy and irony, it is at first overwhelming, and then it kind of makes you numb... I only want to really have Glokta's point of view, because it seems he is the only one who is truly realistic about the situation they are in. Everyone else is still hoping and lying to themselves, thus making it really tragic when that little Hope is torn from them... If it wasn't so brilliantly written and so well crafted, I would wonder why am I doing this to myself? But this is the point of the whole book, isn't it? We all live in the same swamp...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Yeah the Ninefingers chapters were exhausting. And kind of...repetitive? It's always about him angstily reminiscing/ arguing about his past, fighting, losing but then he turned into the BN, winning, then he got angsty again with regret, on repeat.

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Yeah... exactly!

message 43: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments @James - I devoured the First Law trilogy on Audible (Steven Pacey was an amazing narrator, really brought to life Abercrombie's writing) and I agree that book 3 was the best instalment!

@Silvana and Choko - Glokta's chapters were my favourites too. Such a unique and absorbing perspective! Really hope we get to hear more from Glokta in A Little Hatred :-)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Oh I can't wait to meet his (view spoiler)

message 45: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Oh yes, I'm really looking forward to that also!

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I just finished! I LOVED it! What a way to tell a story! And Glokta was my favorite, possibly one of my favorite characters ever! ANd I read a lot!

So, what is next and when?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Best Served Cold on July 5th. New set of characters (and maybe some old ones *wink) Monza Murcatto! I remember she was such a badass.

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments I am starting today :)
I know I am 1 month behind... but excited to start this one :)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1608 comments Starting this today, though we haven't set a date yet. It's huge, so not like I'll finish before we "start"

message 50: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4105 comments Chris wrote: "Starting this today, though we haven't set a date yet. It's huge, so not like I'll finish before we "start""

😬 NO WAY I'll be ablestarting this anytime this month...
What with my chaining BRs back to back all thru Jan, I find I'm rather a house elf all this month...
*I'd insert baby Yoda GIF but you've prolly already seen too many of those*
You jezzt carry on then and then Kath and I will be along in a couple weeks...
*looks around*
Unless she already did...😂😜😝

« previous 1