Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
This topic is about The Blade Itself
Abercrombie - Various > The Blade Itself [Apr 5, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
April 5th.

Shae | 372 comments Keen to try to make this one, I've been curious about this book for ages :-)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1749 comments I'm in, seeing as I requested it.

message 4: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1914 comments in!

Choko (chokog) | 6783 comments I hope I actually make it for this BR..

GARN ARNOLD | 5 comments I've never done this before, looking at the date, should I start the book on April 5 or have it finished by April 5? This was next on my list to read, but I can hold off to join the group.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments In.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Travis wrote: "I've never done this before, looking at the date, should I start the book on April 5 or have it finished by April 5? This was next on my list to read, but I can hold off to join the group."

April 5th is the start date. :) but people are sometimes a little early or a little late too :)

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments In :)

James (aeos) Hi, first time joining a group, let's do this!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Hope you all enjoy! I LOVE this series! :D

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I hope to read these some day!!

Elena Granger | 83 comments I'm in! But a bit later (next week I think)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments Starting a bit early!

My heart leapt reading Logen's name in the first page :)

James (aeos) The name Logen reminds me of Logan (Wolverine), and it's mentioned that Logen is good at healing.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments Page 50

I forgot how funny this book at times. Frost = Igor in Discworld.

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments I too started.... And its Goood :)
I just couldn't wait. And once started I am not able to stop :)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments Yeah. I am in page 180 right now. The Logen part I skimmed a bit since some of the earlier parts were just travelogue. Enjoying all Jezal and Glokta. Cheeky dudes.

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Glokta is just amazing. Those little conversations he has in his head is what I love most in this book.
I like Logen but Jezal a bit less... though his part of the story is more intersting that Logen.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments I will start on Saturday.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments Pallavi Sharma wrote: "Glokta is just amazing. Those little conversations he has in his head is what I love most in this book.
I like Logen but Jezal a bit less... though his part of the story is more intersting that Lo..."

Jezal was a douche but it's soooo fun reading about his thoughts. He and Ardee were MFEO.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments Page 196

Logen's apathy is kind of refreshing. We often get characters who were like, so determined to do or achieve stuff, and now we got here a deliberate ignorant one.

James (aeos) The shanka reveal reminds me of (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments I am not a fan of this 'Mooks' trope. There seems to be always hordes of those brute savage creatures in most epic fantasies it's getting boring. Maybe I have arrived at a time when I want my villains and expendable evil minions to be more sophisticated.

message 25: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Started today - listening to this one on Audible (while making over a client's filing system) - really enjoying it so far, the British narrator is great!

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Silvana wrote: "Pallavi Sharma wrote: "Glokta is just amazing. Those little conversations he has in his head is what I love most in this book.
I like Logen but Jezal a bit less... though his part of the story is ..."

yes... He and Ardee are cool together...

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments 80% in to the book.
I am having a feel that a major cliffhanger is on the way :(
Bayaz is also a strong character. I like his relationship with Logen.
(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments I think I am halfway. Just read Ferro's POV. I really did not like her in my first read. Let's see if the opinion stays.

message 29: by Shae (last edited Apr 06, 2019 08:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments I'm about half way through Part I.

So far Glokta is my favourite character - agree with Pallavi's comments above about Glokta's internal thoughts being a highlight :-)

I'm really impressed with Abercrombie's ability to create such a sympathetic character in one who's life situation seems so depressing.

I'm also very much enjoying the wry humour that is woven into the narrative.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments So very British, maybe? I considered this book a funny grimdark, but no adolescent humor or fart jokes.

Page 379
I love exploring the city and culture with Logen. He's so guileless sometimes. His observations were great, including for the duels.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments Finished.

Still loved it.

When I read about (don't open if you have not read the trilogy) (view spoiler)

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Finished it last night :)
Loved it.
I am still in love with Glokta. Wondering what next!!
Well narrated and well built plot with very unique and interesting characters. 500+ pages just breezed through.
Just too good :)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments How do you think about Ferro? I found her almost insufferable tbh.

message 34: by Pallavi (last edited Apr 06, 2019 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Shae wrote: "I'm about half way through Part I.

So far Glokta is my favourite character - agree with Pallavi's comments above about Glokta's internal thoughts being a highlight :-)

I'm really impressed with A..."

I know... he's constantly at pain and still he takes it very lightly and goes on with his life. Just amazing even to create such a character.

I like Ferro , it spices up the story. An angry fighting woman in the team :) She rages too much and it seems a bit funny when someone tries to put some sense into her and slowly it dawns on her (but only sometimes, if she is in a mood of a bit of patience!)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments I’m starting today.

message 36: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1914 comments And I"m going to be way late :) Good thing its a reread.

James (aeos) I don't like Ferro either, and the Navigator is super! Annoying! Hopefully they become likable in the next books.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments Agree. I don't remember his role in the next books but hopefully it'll be more substantial.

message 39: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Silvana wrote: "So very British, maybe? I considered this book a funny grimdark, but no adolescent humor or fart jokes."

Haha yes, the British narrator (Steven Pacey) is doing a great job at conveying the grimdark sense of humour - his tone and timing are spot on for Glokta's character I think. He has mastered the art of dry understatement in the face of grim situations. Quite amusing to listen to :-)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments Glokta is a magnificent character. First of his chapters and I really like him.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments We got another Glokta fan!

@Shae: that sounds great! Literally 😆 Oh I wish I have the audio book.

message 42: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Silvana wrote: "We got another Glokta fan!

@Shae: that sounds great! Literally 😆 Oh I wish I have the audio book."

Yes indeed! I'm really grateful that the kids were happy for me to use up our current Audible credit - wonder if they will be gracious enough to let me use the next one?

Glad to hear that this re-read worked out well for you - it's good to know that this book has passed the test of time :-)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments Shae wrote: "

Yes indeed! I'm really grateful that the kids were happy for me to use up our cu..."

I am happy too. And you're so lucky, someday I want to have kids who share Audible credits with me ;p

Choko (chokog) | 6783 comments Just finished Ch. 3... I love Glokta's internal monologue, because I can totally relate to all the pain and desire to just give up, but never actually doing so... Brilliantly written!!!

Choko (chokog) | 6783 comments I finished it and I loved it once again! I tend to forget how awesome the writing is... So glad we are reading it again!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1786 comments Choko wrote: "I finished it and I loved it once again! I tend to forget how awesome the writing is... So glad we are reading it again!"

You'll be joining the reread till the end, then?

Elena Granger | 83 comments I haven't started yet :( will it be too late to start next week?

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Jess wrote: "I haven't started yet :( will it be too late to start next week?"

No .... You are welcome to start anytime you like... I think the thread will be active till there is an active discussion going on :)

Choko (chokog) | 6783 comments Yep, I am here 🙂

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments I’m still here. Got too many books going aaaaah!! I loved the introduction of everyone. Onwards.

« previous 1