The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Winter Challenge 2018 > 20.8 - Nickels & Dimes - Diane Whitney's Task: Membership Required

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Dec 02, 2018 12:22PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4927 comments Mod
20.8 - Nickels & Dimes - Diane Whitney's Task: Membership Required

This is a ONE book task.
No books with the main page genre childrens or kids can be used for this task.
Your book must be at least 300 pages in length.

Option 1 - Read a book first published in the same Month AND Year you joined GoodReads. This date is located on your profile page.

OR

Option 2 - Read a book first published in the same Month AND Year you joined the Seasonal Reading Challenge Group. To find this date, click on the members link located on the right side of the SRC page and enter your GoodRead's name into the search bar.

REQUIRED - State the option you choose and include the date in your post.

message 2: by Diane Whitney (last edited Dec 04, 2018 08:32AM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Helpful Links -

Popular Books Published by Date - you can set year and month on the right side of page
(unfortunately month only available for 2017, 2018, 2019)

*Meg shared a sneaky way of getting a list of popular books by month for pre 2017. Just use this link and manually change the month and year or add, for example /2012/December/ to the end of link in search bar.

**Even though these lists contain books published during a particular month & year, it may not be the date the book was first published. Published by Date doesn't always mean First Published by Date, unfortunately.

message 3: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Mine

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4927 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2131 comments Does anyone have any suggestions for books first published in November 2009 or suggestions as to how I can find some?

message 6: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 819 comments You can search the lists. I also joined November 2009. https://www.goodreads.com/list/best_o...

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 683 comments I have a question regarding a January start. Some books list the first published date as January 1 when they don't have an exact start date. Do I need to do more research to figure out the actual pub date or do I go by this date?

I understand if you want us going by the Hardcover date or something, but I just want to clarify what I should be looking for.

message 8: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2131 comments KSMary wrote: "You can search the lists. I also joined November 2009. https://www.goodreads.com/list/best_o..."

Not a great choice really.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 683 comments Coralie wrote: "KSMary wrote: "You can search the lists. I also joined November 2009. https://www.goodreads.com/list/best_o..."

Not a great choice really."

I didn't find the lists to be super helpful - not all of the titles on the list were correct.

I organized my To Read list by pub date and skipped ahead to the year I was looking for. This obviously only works if you have a decently large To Read list, but I found it to be the easiest way for me.

message 10: by Dee (last edited Dec 02, 2018 07:30PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments That’s what I did as well kate

If ppl want to troll through my shelves for books - I have over 10000 books shelved

message 11: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2131 comments I did that but none of my 500+ books were published that month. I might check what other people have on their shelves.

message 12: by Diane Whitney (last edited Dec 02, 2018 09:01PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Boston Kate wrote: "I have a question regarding a January start. Some books list the first published date as January 1 when they don't have an exact start date. Do I need to do more research to figure out the actual p..."

As long as your book's first published date matches month and year, (the day doesn't matter) it would work. For most books, if the edition you read isn't the first published edition, the book's main page will include it. Here's an example of what I mean The Help/The Help (February 2009)
Hardcover editions aren't always the first published edition, you can sort by date published at the top of a book's "all editions" list.

Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson | 478 comments November is hard. Every time I've found a book published in the right month and year, it's not the first published date. Or else it doesn't have 350+ pages. I tried searching Books in Print, but it's not any more helpful than the GR lists are. November 2012 / November 2017 are my dates, in case anyone runs across something that fits!

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16190 comments Mod
Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote: "November is hard. Every time I've found a book published in the right month and year, it's not the first published date. Or else it doesn't have 350+ pages. I tried searching Books in Print, but it..."

this list popular books from November 2017might help.
You'll need to check - some of those books were not first published then - but some certainly were.

message 15: by Diane Whitney (last edited Dec 03, 2018 10:56PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote: "November is hard. Every time I've found a book published in the right month and year, it's not the first published date. Or else it doesn't have 350+ pages. I tried searching Books in Print, but it..."

Try the "helpful" link I've added above in message #2 - set month to November and Year to 2017 - you'll get a list of 200 popular books published in November 2017 to help in your search. You'll still have to make sure they work (first published), most certainly will.

Also, a few members have offered, suggested "trolling" their extensive book lists, see above - post #10. To do that click on their names, as long as their profile is public, their profile page will appear. At the bottom of their "all books" page you can sort by "date pub". I "trolled" through Dee's 10,000+ books and found it very resourceful.

Also, books need to be at least 300 pages, not 350+ pages.

message 16: by Meg (last edited Dec 04, 2018 01:05AM) (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1654 comments There's a sneaky way of getting a list of popular books by month for pre 2017.
Just use this link (with the space removed) and change the month and year...

e.g.
https://www.goodreads.com/ book/popular_by_date/2012/December/

https://www.goodreads.com/ book/popular_by_date/2014/September/

message 17: by Sandy (new)

I have about 4500 books on my list - https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...... - and anyone is welcome to look through that one. Probably a fairly different list than Dee's.

message 18: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Meg wrote: "There's a sneaky way of getting a list of popular books by month for pre 2017.

e.g.
https://www.goodreads.com/ book/po..."

Neat trick!

message 19: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Meg wrote: "There's a sneaky way of getting a list of popular books by month for pre 2017.

e.g.
https://www.goodreads.com/ book/po..."

Thanks so much for sharing! I've included your trick in helpful link post above.

Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson | 478 comments Sandy wrote: "Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote: "November is hard. Every time I've found a book published in the right month and year, it's not the first published date. Or else it doesn't have 350+ pages. I tried..."

Thank you! And I'm glad the 350 was my transcription error. That'll help, in addition to the links to people's to-be-read shelves. It's a shame GR doesn't let you sort listology lists by selected features.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote: "That'll help, in addition to the links to people's to-be-read shelves ..."

don't limit yourself to TBR lists - you'll most likely have a much wider selection if you look at "All Books."