The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Winter Challenge 2018 > 20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Amy FL's Task: Yo, Adrian!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Dec 02, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4934 comments Mod
20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Amy FL's Task: Yo, Adrian!

In honor of the newest member of my family, this task is dedicated to #7 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Heroes & Villains list: Rocky Balboa. We adopted a Shih Tzu last year that we named Rocky, and I find myself calling him either Rocky Balboa or Balboa boy all the time. I grew up watching the Rocky films (yes I’m old enough to have seen the first film in theaters), so let’s honor this movie icon (and my dog) by reading ONE book that fits a task of your choice.

REQUIRED: Specify the option you have selected when you post.

Option 1: Rocky’s nickname is “The Italian Stallion.” Read a book with a horse or dog (domesticated dogs, please - no wolves, coyotes, or other wild animals) on the cover. REQUIRED: If you choose this option, you must show the cover in your post.

Option 2: Rocky was an unknown boxer who was given a chance to fight for the title. Read a book with a title of at least three words where the first letter of each word can be found in HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION.

Option 3: There wouldn’t be a Rocky without its star and creator. Read a book written by a single author whose first and last initials are found in SYLVESTER STALLONE. Middle initials can be ignored.

message 2: by Amy (last edited Jan 11, 2019 09:34PM) (new)

Amy | 1281 comments Approved for Option 1:

A Dark and Twisting Path (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #3) by Julia Buckley Breaking Creed (Ryder Creed, #1) by Alex Kava The Pale Horse (Ariadne Oliver, #5) by Agatha Christie

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1281 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4934 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Trish (last edited Dec 03, 2018 03:05AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2545 comments Morning.

For Option 1. I'd say that at least one of the canines on the path through the window is a domestic dog (even if I'm not sure about the other), but could you check whether you agree? Thank you.

A Dark and Twisting Path (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #3) by Julia Buckley

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7702 comments nice task Amy :)

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1281 comments Trish wrote: "Morning.

For Option 1. I'd say that at least one of the canines on the path through the window is a domestic dog (even if I'm not sure about the other), but could you check whether you agree? Tha..."

I looked at some of the reviews and someone referred to "cute dogs" in the book. I'll say those qualify. Approved!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1281 comments Dee wrote: "nice task Amy :)"

Thanks, Dee!

message 9: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2545 comments Amy wrote: "Trish wrote: "Morning.

For Option 1. I'd say that at least one of the canines on the path through the window is a domestic dog (even if I'm not sure about the other), but could you check whether ..."

Thanks, Amy

message 10: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 534 comments Hi Amy. I just finished Breaking Creed (Ryder Creed, #1) by Alex Kava . If you look closely, there is a dog standing next to the outline of the man. Is this okay? Or would you prefer a more obvious dog? Thanks!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1281 comments Stacey wrote: "Hi Amy. I just finished Breaking Creed (Ryder Creed, #1) by Alex Kava. If you look closely, there is a dog standing next to the outline of the man. Is this okay? Or would you prefer a more obvious dog? Thanks!"

I can definitely see the dog. You're good to go, Stacey!

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 534 comments Amy wrote: "Stacey wrote: "Hi Amy. I just finished Breaking Creed (Ryder Creed, #1) by Alex Kava. If you look closely, there is a dog standing next to the outline of the man. Is this okay? Or would you prefer a more obv..."

Thanks Amy!

message 13: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1767 comments Does this work for option 2:

Ninety-Nine Glimpses of Princess Margaret?

message 14: by Amy (last edited Dec 09, 2018 03:37PM) (new)

Amy | 1281 comments Cindie wrote: "Does this work for option 2:

Ninety-Nine Glimpses of Princess Margaret?"

According to the FAQ for the SRC:

Essentially, a "word" in a title is a string of letters/symbols/punctuation marks with no spaces. So, a contraction is one word, as is a hyphenated word.

That makes Ninety-Nine one word, so your title works as shown with the capitalized letters below.

heavyweiGht chaMPiON

Happy reading, Cindie

message 15: by Trish (last edited Dec 14, 2018 03:37AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2545 comments Just being paranoid, here.

For Option 2, we're okay to ignore subtitles, right?

I've had a change of plan, so now I'm thinking of A Very Murderous Christmas: Ten Classic Crime Stories for the Festive Season - which works if it's just the title, but not if I need the subtitle.

Thanks.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1281 comments Trish wrote: "Just being paranoid, here.

I've had a change of plan, so now I'm thinking of [book:A Very Murderous Christmas: Ten Classic Crime Stories for..."

Yes, Trish, subtitles can be ignored. You're good to go!

message 17: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2545 comments Amy wrote: "Trish wrote: "Just being paranoid, here.

I've had a change of plan, so now I'm thinking of [book:A Very Murderous Christmas: Ten Classic Cri..."

Thanks!

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1794 comments Checking that an outline picture of a horse is acceptable for Option 1
The Pale Horse (Ariadne Oliver, #5) by Agatha Christie

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1281 comments Julia wrote: "Checking that an outline picture of a horse is acceptable for Option 1
The Pale Horse (Ariadne Oliver, #5) by Agatha Christie"

That's fine, Julia. Enjoy!

message 20: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Berry | 370 comments Can a letter be used twice in Option 2?

I thinking of using The Women in the Castle

T is the letter in question

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
S.L. wrote: "Can a letter be used twice in Option 2?

I thinking of using The Women in the Castle

T is the letter in question"

See the FAQs

"2. If I have to find an author's initials, a title word, etc., in a specified word (such as author's initials found in ANCIENT), how many times can I use each letter in the target word?
Only once - so if the word is ANCIENT, you could not use Aravind Adiga, since there is only one A in the target word. On the other hand, you could use Nele Neuhaus, since the target word has 2 N's."