Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

Challenges > Sequel Challenge

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1521 comments Mod
For this challenge, read as many Japanese novels or light novels as you can that are sequels! Sequels, spin offs, or volume 2 and later all count for this challenge.

Share what you're reading here. :)

message 2: by Selena (new)

Also wanted to remind people, in case you want to read the sequel to something we've read as a group, that we have a thread for setting up buddy reads. Other people in the group might like to join you reading them. :)

message 3: by Terrence (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments I'm reading Katanagatari this week... Which probably only counts as one book despite being an Omnibus with 3 books included (maybe I can find the individual listings for the Japanese versions of the books and have each book counted as separate works).

Gonna reread Psycome soon too.

Otherwise, J-Novel catch-up (I'm so behind on stuff).

message 4: by Selena (new)

Terrence wrote: "Otherwise, J-Novel catch-up (I'm so behind on stuff). "

I am behind on everything as well, though in my case it's the pile of physical books sitting on my shelves. This is part of why I made this challenge lol

message 5: by Terrence (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments Read 2 Demon King Daimaou volumes so far (6+7), the second and third books contained in the Katanagatari Omnibus, and Grimgar 11.

Hoping to read Daimao 8 tonight and tomorrow, but we'll see what happens. After that, I'll be reading a volume 1 in Emeth.

message 6: by Howard (new)

Howard | 69 comments So far I've read:

Bakemonogatari: Monster Tale 02 and 03
The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria Volume 2

message 8: by Selena (new)

Tiger wrote: "These are the manga I've read so far c:"

Hi Tiger! We're a light novel and Japanese novel group, so manga don't count for our challenges. Glad to see you're reading though!

message 9: by Terrence (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments Howard wrote: "The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria Volume 2"

Empty Box is on my list to continue. =)

message 10: by Howard (new)

Howard | 69 comments Just finished Psycome, Vol. 2 : Murder Princess and the Summer Death Camp
It's amazing the amount of fan service and brutality an author can pack in one book.

message 11: by Terrence (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments We're thinking we'll do Psycome next in the Light Novel podcast (we got one to record this week too, but that's for our favorite novels of the year + ones we want licensed).

I'm going to screech to a bit of a halt today in my sequelitus progress since I want to read some of the new J-Novel licenses before the podcast tonight if I can so I can be informed in the News segment.

message 12: by Howard (new)

Howard | 69 comments Just finished:
I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out my Level Volume 3.
I love this series! It's so light and fluffy it brings a smile to my heart with every volume. I look forward to volume 4 (pre-ordered of course)

message 13: by Gord (new)

Gord Howard wrote: "Just finished:
I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out my Level Volume 3.
I love this series! It's so light and fluffy it brings a smile to my heart with every volume. I look forward t..."

I'm going to have to check that one out as some light and fluffy sounds great.

message 14: by Howard (new)

Howard | 69 comments Just finished Toradora! Volume 2

If you've seen the anime the novels are a must read, the descriptions of certain key events take on so much more meaning. Also, in this volume the events happen a little different than in the anime.

message 15: by Selena (new)

Just finished Book girl and the Undine Who Bore a Moonflower.. It was fabulous as always. This series always makes me happy, even when the content is depressing as hell. I love the characters, the writing, and the fact that it borrows heavily from classical literature and themes. contented sigh

message 16: by Howard (new)

Howard | 69 comments Just finished Goblin Slayer Volume 2. More of a solid adventure (well, not by the High Elf's standard) in this one and some great laughs.