The Round Table discussion

BOOKS > What's the best read of 2018?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gareth (last edited Dec 01, 2018 04:38PM) (new)

Gareth Young (spartagus) | 22 comments Mod
What was the best book you read this year?

It didn't have to be published this year... new to you counts too :)

message 2: by Gareth (new)

Roger wrote: "After writing three academic books in linguistics (which I teach at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada), I guess I would start with my debut novel The Interview (20118 - Joshua Tree ..."

Dude. Seriously? The best book you read this year was your own debut novel?

If you want a tip on how to become an active member...it's quite simple: stop shilling your books! Read the welcome, take note of the fact I said you'll get kicked out if you're here just to drum up a sale, and participate in the discussions. Easy. Especially for someone with expertise in linguistics.

message 3: by Tym (new)

Tym | 4 comments This year I haven't read much of anything with a lot of substance, I have just been grabbing a quick read here or there when I feel I have a moment. My favorite book this year that I have read was A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny, great author and different than his usual fare. It is written in the format of each chapter being a day in October as supernatural forces converge on a small town to determine the fate of the Earth and the Old Gods on Halloween Night.

message 4: by Gareth (new)

Tym wrote: "This year I haven't read much of anything with a lot of substance, I have just been grabbing a quick read here or there when I feel I have a moment. My favorite book this year that I have read was ..."

Sounds intriguing. Can't say I've read anything by that author.

message 5: by Roger (new)

Roger Spielmann (derekorm2010) | 3 comments Thanks, man! Like I say, I'm new to this! I did just finish reading Origin by Dan Brown, but it's a bit embarrassing to admit it...

message 6: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (closkot) | 1 comments I haven't read as much as I would have liked this year, but probably more than the average person does. I guess there is something wrong with me because I find something to love about every book that intrigues me enough to read it. I love paranormal books especially PNRs which is my go to genre when I need a pick me up because I love escaping to new worlds where magic and even love is possible.

message 7: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) My reading has been a bit off this year, but I am enjoying Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi, Rise of the Seer by Brandon Barr and looking forward to reading The Assassin's Coin by John Linwood Grant. And yes, I always have trouble picking just one book.

message 8: by Gareth (new)

Cassandra wrote: "I haven't read as much as I would have liked this year, but probably more than the average person does. I guess there is something wrong with me because I find something to love about every book th..."

No particular book that stands out for you this year?

I didn't read anywhere near the amount of books I wanted to. I'll do better next year. :)

message 9: by Gareth (new)

A.F. wrote: "My reading has been a bit off this year, but I am enjoying Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi, Rise of the Seer by Brandon Barr and looking forward to reading The Assassin's Coin by John Li..."

LOL At least you rounded it down to three books :D I know the more voracious readers amongst us will have several favorites!

Did you pay any attention to the feud that involved Tomi Adeyami and Nora Roberts? Does stuff like that sway your thoughts about a writer?

message 10: by A.F. (last edited Dec 02, 2018 05:54AM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) Gareth wrote: "A.F. wrote: "My reading has been a bit off this year, but I am enjoying Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi, Rise of the Seer by Brandon Barr and looking forward to reading The Assassin's Co..."

I hadn't even heard about a feud between them, so I guess I don't pay much attention to that stuff.

message 11: by Barb (new)

Barb  | 4 comments For me, my favorite and best book of 2018 came from Michael Grant -- his book Purple Hearts, which was the final book in his trilogy Front Lines. It's an alternative history trilogy that follows three young women during World War II, except in this history, women serve on the front lines. It's gritty, disturbing, powerful, and an amazing series I highly recommend.

message 12: by Aila (new)

Aila Stephens | 4 comments I haven't read as much as I would've liked, either.

As for Indie reads: I adore all I've read from Vania Rheault and Jewel E. Leonard.

My favorite trad-read this year is definitely not new (1992), but it was the first time I read it: Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison. I don't know how it took me so long to read this. It's based in Greenville, SC, which is where I live *and* it's Southern gothic, which is a genre I enjoy reading and writing.

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1 comments Caveat: I teach school, and I'm raising my two nephews (ages 11 and 13), so this radically skews my reading list right now. That being said, my best "surprise reads" this year have been:

Fog Diver - Ross
Lost Compass - Ross
A Long Walk to Water - Park

I'm also trying to read more recent Afro-centric books, so right now I'm in the midst of the novella "Buffalo Soldier", by Jamaican-
American author Maurice Broaddus, and "Dread Nation", by Justine Ireland.

message 14: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Cairns (samijocairns) | 2 comments This year I read Kelley Armstrong's Rockton series which I ripped through and am longing for the next.

I've also been reading the Outlander series which is cool to see the differences from the TV series.