Persephone Books discussion

The Home-Maker > The Home-Maker STARTING Thoughts/Discussion Questions

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen | 341 comments Mod
Happy December All !
Who will be joining me reading 'The Home-Maker' by Dorothy Canfield Fisher this month ?

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 166 comments The Homemaker is one of my favorite Peresphones. Since I reread it over the summer, it's fresh in my mind, and I'll be participating in the discussion--I just read it early ;)

message 3: by Karen (last edited Dec 02, 2018 05:00AM) (new)

Karen | 341 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "The Homemaker is one of my favorite Peresphones. Since I reread it over the summer, it's fresh in my mind, and I'll be participating in the discussion--I just read it early ;)"
Hi Susan , starting it over the next week.Will look forward to chatting with you about it :)

message 4: by Toast (new)

Toast (hotbutteredtoast) | 55 comments The first chapter is a stunning beginning. It introduces you to a family who are playing all the roles but hateing them to their very marrow. They really are square pegs in round holes and it is making them all ill. But that is what Society dictates. It is a volcano just waiting to go off - and it does, as it always does with the tiniest thing, grease marks on the kitchen floor.
The Part 1 phase of the book makes me the most judgemental of readers - I really can't take to Mrs Eva Knapp, Lester was such a wet lettuce, Helen and Henry were colourless only Stephen had any fight. I was close to giving up but thought there had to be a reason for such extremes.
Toast

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 166 comments I was so interested to see The Homemaker on the best sellers list for 1924! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publi...

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen | 341 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I was so interested to see The Homemaker on the best sellers list for 1924! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publi..." oh wow , that's great

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma I've made a start, 3 chapters in. I'm loving it but Mrs Knapp is stressing me out as well as her family! I have a friend who is like a milder version of her. I'm wondering if I could lend her this.....

message 8: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 82 comments Emma wrote: "I've made a start, 3 chapters in. I'm loving it but Mrs Knapp is stressing me out as well as her family! I have a friend who is like a milder version of her. I'm wondering if I could lend her this...."

LOL!
Going to try to catch up and read this.