Reading the Detectives discussion

Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
This topic is about Murder on the Orient Express
Poirot Buddy Reads > Poirot buddy read 12: Murder on the Orient Express

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8323 comments Mod
Not sure if Jessica is around at the moment so I will put this thread up. Please don't post any spoilers in this thread.

This is one of the most famous Agatha Christie books and has recently been filmed again!

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1816 comments I'm not reading this, this time round, as I have read the book, seen the films(not the latest one, thank goodness) and have enough t-shirts. Will say though that it is a fantastic story, probably my favorite.

Susan | 9319 comments Mod
I listened to it on audio as I am also, perhaps, too familiar with it. If you are reading this for the first time, I envy you though!

Jessica | 351 comments Hi! Oh thanks for opening it up! pff I am a bit overwhelmed in family obligations and behind in my own project :-( But when I came in to open the discussions I gladly found you went ahead, thank you so much!

Murder on the orient express, it's my favourite too. I've listened to many different adaptations, but never actually sat down to read it in written form. So, I'm looking forward to it.

That's fine Jessica, sorry to hear you are overwhelmed at the moment but I do know the feeling!

I'll be reading this in a paperback which I received courtesy of the Book Fairies a few months back. :)

Catherine (catjackson) I finished it on audio a couple of days ago, having read it a couple of times in book form. Even though I know the story, it was still a wonderful time.

Tracey | 236 comments I'm a bit of a newbie to this book, having never read it before, and have only seen the most recent film version. Am thoroughly enjoying picking up all the clues as I read, even though the outcome is not going to be a surprise. And have brought the Albert Finney version of the film to watch, once I've finished the book.

Tania | 376 comments I've never read this book either. I do know the solution, but nice to read the original source

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue (mrskipling) | 250 comments I have the audiobook narrated by David Suchet and I can recommend that version. This is one my favourite Agatha Christie books!

Jessica | 351 comments I am very much enjoying the reading experience, for added flavour, I made a Spotify playlist with the soundtracks of both movies... In reading however I realize how many differences there are to the movie adaptations! I think the story is still very interesting even if you know the outcome.

Susan | 9319 comments Mod
I had the David Suchet audiobook version too, Sue.

Adrian | 135 comments Jessica wrote: "I am very much enjoying the reading experience, for added flavour, I made a Spotify playlist with the soundtracks of both movies... In reading however I realize how many differences there are to th..."

As I said in my review, despite being physically close to this book for over 50 years (see my review) I had never read it (seen the films etc etc, but never sat down and read it). Must admit I thoroughly enjoyed it despite being aware (shall we say) of the solution. TBH I thought the book was better than any of the films !!

(Oh and I've read the Christmas Pudding, waiting for 2019 now ha ha)

message 13: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue (mrskipling) | 250 comments Jessica wrote: "I am very much enjoying the reading experience, for added flavour, I made a Spotify playlist with the soundtracks of both movies... "

What a great idea Jessica - I've never thought to have appropriate music in the background to a book as I'm reading it.

message 14: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin I love the idea of having the appropriate music playing while reading. However, I couldn't bear the new film version. Fortunately I was on a plane and could stop it after it became so tedious I could bear no more. Certainly film makers have a right to interpret novels as they wish. I just would like the interpretations to be so much smarter! I liked the mixed values in this novel and will discuss them in the spoiler thread.

Jessica | 351 comments Robin wrote: "I love the idea of having the appropriate music playing while reading. However, I couldn't bear the new film version. Fortunately I was on a plane and could stop it after it became so tedious I cou..."

I also conceded to watching the newest version on a plane earlier this year. I hadn't been looking forward to it, but since I was stuck on the plane for many hours I decided to go for it. I didn't really like it though. But I did enjoy this book! It was full of little hints and comic notes... Especially the scene in part 3 when Poirot and his compagnions go and sit down to think it all through.

message 16: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Jessica good on you, I probably just turned to Love Actually, when I couldn't stand Murder... any longer! I agree about the novel, it was good. I liked the moral complications in particular.

Frances (francesab) | 340 comments I am a bit late to the party, having just started this yesterday. I read this many years ago and have seen the Finney, the Suchet and the most recent film but already there is more detail in the book than the movies can put in. Looking forward to reading the rest over the holidays.

The opening chapter was bittersweet from a current perspective-it was fascinating to read about the Taurus Express that ran (runs?) through Syria and Iraq, but at the same time is was so sad to realize that many of the cities and towns mentioned-Aleppo, Kirkuk, Mosul-had been involved in devastating fighting during the recent conflicts.

message 18: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Yes, I agree. I find it really distressing also. But, when I read the novel set in Petra again after having been there I experienced pleasure instead, so was lucky.

message 19: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Frances wrote: "I am a bit late to the party, having just started this yesterday. I read this many years ago and have seen the Finney, the Suchet and the most recent film but already there is more detail in the bo..."

I'm starting it late too - I meant to do so earlier in the month but didn't get round to it. Enjoying it so far. I have seen both the Branagh and the Finney films, and preferred the Finney one.

message 20: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara  | 741 comments I must have read this book ages ago (my omnibus collection has yellowed with time), but it wasn't until this challenge started that I went back to re-read (or read for the first time) these wonderful Poirot stories.
I also enjoy reading with appropriately themed music in the background, it adds something to the experience.
I'm watching the Suchet version after having finished the book, and it is certainly much darker and ominous in tone and pacing. As with the majority of adaptations, the book is far superior.

message 21: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Interesting to see that there's a Dr Constantine on the train - Molly Thynne's Dr Constantine books were from slightly earlier in the 1930s. Does anyone know if she was friendly with Christie at all? If so, could this name be a slight nod to her?

Jessica | 351 comments Ooohh thank you Judy! Now I know why dr Constantine seemed so familiar (currently reading my first Molly Thynne book).

message 23: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hope you are enjoying Molly Thynne, Jessica!

The Orient Express is certainly an exciting setting for this one - it was also used for Graham Greene's Stamboul Train in 1932, which was actually adapted for a film called Orient Express.

Quite a few other mysteries and thrillers are also set on board trains - including our forthcoming February group read, The Lady Vanishes.

message 24: by Jan C (new) - added it

Jan C (woeisme) | 1275 comments Judy wrote: "Hope you are enjoying Molly Thynne, Jessica!

The Orient Express is certainly an exciting setting for this one - it was also used for Graham Greene's Stamboul Train in 1932, which was actually adap..."

US calls it Orient Express.

Jessica | 351 comments Yes, I am enjoying Molly Thynne. She reads very easily, it has the exact Cozy Mystery Feel I like.

I also somehow really like to read almost any book that's set on a train. Maybe because for my home-work commute I spend 45 minutes each way on a train, and I every time lament the nice manners of your co-travellers in earlier days.... but well maybe with all the murder mysteries... I should rethink that...

message 26: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

That’s interesting about the US title, Jan. I also tend to like books set on trains.

I do find the way the American characters speak in this book a bit OTT, as in some other GA books, not just by Christie!