Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Nominations Open - Group Read for January 2019

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to have as our Group Read in January 2019?

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series, or the most recent book in it the group has not read together.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group's Bookshelf.

Two nominations to a person, please.

Eleanor (bookishcourtier) I nominate Mary Boleyn The Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir and The Private Lives of the Tudors by Tracy Borman

message 4: by Natalie (last edited Dec 01, 2018 12:59PM) (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 108 comments I will nominate Pour the Dark Wine by Dinah Lampitt ] and The Tudor Brandons Mary and Charles - Henry VIII's Nearest & Dearest by Sarah-Beth Watkins .

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments Eleanor, we read Mary Boleyn in February 2014 - so you have another nomination if you like.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (silvercatspaw) | 1 comments I nominate “Wars of the Roses: Stormbird” - first in a series by Conn Iggulden. (Not sure if it’s been nominated before but it’s an amazing book and series!!))

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments Stormbird is too early; I'm sorry, Jennifer. (We had a Plantagenet special a few years ago and it was nominated then.)

message 9: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 73 comments I'll nominate A Dead Man in Deptford by Anthony Burgess and In Bed with Anne Boleyn A Novel by Lacey Baldwin-Smith

message 10: by Tiffany (last edited Dec 02, 2018 04:24PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments I'll probably be closing nominations tomorrow, so now would be a good time to make one if there's something you're thinking of.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments The poll is here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

It's also on the bottom of the group's Home page, or at the top of its Polls page.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments The Other Boleyn Girl was the winner. We'll be discussing it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (violaashford) | 4 comments What a pity! I HATE that book! I regard it as being absolutely defamatory of Anne! I also hate the film. After reading it, I didn't read any more books by Ohilipoa Gregory.

message 16: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Day | 71 comments Next month we will probably read the post-it notes Gregory left to her husband with her honey-do lists. SMH haha

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizziekitteh) | 9 comments The book and film were both garbage. Anne is defamed to the point of outright slander, and panders to the worst of the accusations about her which have been proven to be made up and untrue. I hope nobody reads this book and takes it for fact....

message 18: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 73 comments As a matter of fact, it is a novel, not a biography. If you have read The Constant Princess, you know that The Other Boleyn Girl is not the only novel by Philippa Gregory where she gets a bit... carried away. But I like her novels nonetheless. I take them for what they are - novels, that is to say fictional works.

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizziekitteh) | 9 comments I know it’s a novel but it takes way too many artistic liberties rending be whole thing ridiculous

message 20: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 73 comments Lady Elizabeth wrote: "I know it’s a novel but it takes way too many artistic liberties rending be whole thing ridiculous"
I see your point.
I have to say I don't mind inaccuracy in a historical novel.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizziekitteh) | 9 comments Haha sorry I get so worked up, just loathe this book 😂

Anne Boleyn’s life had enough drama in it without someone making it up that she slept with her brother. Wouldn’t want someone to write that about me even if it is fiction

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1982 comments Keep on discussing it in its own thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (violaashford) | 4 comments Lady Elizabeth wrote: "I know it’s a novel but it takes way too many artistic liberties rending be whole thing ridiculous"
I absolutely agree, Lady Elizabeth.