You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > Dec 2018 Challenge - Adapted! (Reporting Thread)

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48770 comments Once you have finished the book you chose for the Dec 2018 Monthly Challenge, you need to report your success in this thread.

There is no scoring this month. In order to receive a badge, you do need to:

1. Report your WoF name (Wall of Fame name). If you don't have one, pop over here to request one.

2. Link to the book you read.

3. Tell us which movie adaption it fits and how it fits.

4. Tell us if you will see the movie, and a brief summary of what you thought about the book.

message 2: by Lanelle (last edited Dec 14, 2018 01:10AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3110 comments WoF name - Lanelle

I've been wanting to re-read The Paper Magician for a while now. I was glad that it fit a task for this month's challenge.

The Paper Magician matched Good Omens, because it is set in the UK. I don't imagine I will see the movie, Good Omens.

As I've said, The Paper Magician was a re-read for me. I enjoyed it just as much this time as I did when I read it the first time. Ceony is a fascinating character as well as Magician Thane. I like it when authors give their characters flaws as well as strengths. Actually, I think this story would make a wonderful movie! I'd definitely go see it, but only if the screen play aligned with the book :)

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments WOF
Claire

Die laatste zomer Die laatste zomer by Tatiana de Rosnay Tatiana de Rosnay 351 p. 3 december 2018 3 stars

The movie is called Boomerang.(French movie)
This would be a great beach read. The book is set in France and as such I enjoyed it. Also, the story kept me interested as I was curious what happened.
I don’t think the novels of Tatiana de Rosnay are excellent reads, but they are a nice guilty pleasure if I’m in a lazy mood.

message 4: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10136 comments WoF Almeta

I read Where'd You Go, Bernadette.

To me, Bernadette was not just eccentric, but unrealistically irresponsible. Not my type of humor I guess.

I was not very impressed with the book and will not likely see the movie.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1248 comments WoF name - Amanda(Lily)

I read Before I Saw You. It fits All the Bright Places because it's also set in Indiana. I don't think I'll see the movie.

This was a tough read with a lot of difficult/triggering things in it, but I finished it in two days because I had to know how it was going to work out.

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments WoF name - Fiona

I read Artemis Fowl and it fits the Artemis Fowl adapation. I loved the book and I think I'd like to see the movie when it comes to my movie theatre.

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2192 comments WoF - Jenn
I too read Artemis Fowl which is being adapted to film. I really enjoyed the book, and will probably see the movie to see how they handle Mulch, if nothing else lol

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2609 comments WoF - Lynn

I read Knowing Me, Knowing You

Fits the prompt for The Rosie Project, which is also set in Australia

I will probably see the movie, as I really enjoyed the book when I read it back in 2014

As for the book I just read, really enjoyed that one too. The author is one of my favourite m/m authors and this is the fourth book in a series that I've enjoyed each book previously. This one didn't disappoint.

message 9: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments WoF - Kirila

I read Where'd You Go, Bernadette

It is one of the listed books to be made into a movie.

The movie cast seems strong (includes Cate Blanchett). I don't know if I would see it in the cinema, but it might be a good movie to see on a long-haul flight or at home, once available.

I have had a few slow reading months and I needed something to put me into reading mood again. This book was perfect. I thought it was a light and quick read. I enjoyed the story and the characters, and I couldn't make myself go to sleep in the evening :). The main issue there was that the format is short letters or notes, so you could always read a few more pages... There were parts of the book people might consider banal, but for me these were just background and the book was all about the love between a mother and daughter.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48770 comments WoF - Janice

I read Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows.

It fits Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, set in the UK. Erotic Stories is set in London.

I'm not sure what I was expecting with Erotic Stories. I'm not a huge fan of Chick Lit and I felt the book was primarily in that genre. The redeeming thing about it was that I learned some of the traditional Indian culture and how it plays out with modern influences. The second half of the book was far more engaging.

I'd like to see the movie "Good Omens" to see if I'd prefer Pratchett on the screen. I've struggled with reading his books.

message 11: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9775 comments wof Margo

I read The Secret Place which, like Artemis Fowl, islocated in Ireland. I really like this series so it's a bit of a no brainer to say I loved this one!

Great story, interesting characters but very long winded! I had issues with some of the police procedural stuff, in particular the interviewing of underage witnesses.

Overall though, 4 stars.

message 12: by TrudyAn (last edited Dec 24, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

TrudyAn | 1651 comments WoF TrudyAn

I read Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay, which is set in Italy, as is the movie, Catch-22. I virtually never watch movies, and will not be seeing Catch-22.

I previously read the first two books of this series. I enjoyed this book, but I have had a lot of distractions this month, so my reading was very disjointed and I had trouble keeping track of the storyline. In fact, it took me so long to read it, I had forgotten that it was for this challenge until I noticed recent postings to this thread. I think the entire series could have benefited from more in-depth character development and tighter editing. I gave it three stars.

message 13: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15087 comments WoF Peggy

I read Mythago Wood which fits the movie Good Omens, as it's set in the UK.

The book: I really liked the concept of the book, with mythagos. That was really cool. However, the book itself was a bit slow for me, and at times I found it a bit complicated it, or didn't make complete sense. I rated it 3 stars,

The movie: I read the book the movie is based on, which I remember I found a bit disappointing. I might watch it if it's on tv some years in the future, but I won't be going to the cinema.

message 14: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments WoF - Clive

I read The Shining by Stephen King which fits as he also wrote Pet Sematary which was on the original list.

I was surprised by just how different the book was to the film which I saw a long time ago. I'd previously only read It by Stephen King which I loved but didn't scare me. I did find myself more scared by The Shining, perhaps because I decided to read it in a hotel (bad idea!).

message 15: by Debra (last edited Dec 27, 2018 11:14AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments WoF - Debra Tucker

I read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August which is primarily set in the UK. The task was for Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - Setting UK

A very unique story, with some of the science a bit over my head. Still an interesting and enjoyable read. I'm glad I found it; I think it was added to my TBR during the last Toppler. Was well worth the it.

I'm looking for to seeing the movie for Good Omens. It's one of my favorite books.

message 16: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Clive wrote: "WoF - Clive

I read The Shining by Stephen King which fits as he also wrote Pet Sematary which was on the original list.

I was surprised by just how different the book..."

So glad you enjoyed The Shining. Pretty creepy in spots!

message 17: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2392 comments 1. WoF: Katrisa

2. The Hero of Ages

3. The Knife of Never Letting Go (movie Chaos Walking) - Setting Fantasy World. The Final Empire is set in the Cosmere Universe but the actual world is not named as far as I remember. But it's a world where Allomancers exist, so I'm going with fantasy world :)

4. I don't think I'll see the movie. The trailer was underwhelming. I do like the main actors though. As for the book, it was one of my favorite fantasy books I've read for a long time - a true epic fantasy. The magic system is awesome, I care about the characters, who are flawed but not in ways that are too annoying. The book that follows this one was amazing (I also read book 3 in Dec).

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13591 comments WoF name: Kristie

I read Cold Blood, which is set in London for Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - Setting UK.

I don't intend to see the movie, but I might. I wasn't even aware it was coming out until this challenge.

The book was good. This is the fifth in a series though and it is getting a bit redundant. The major aspects of the story are new, but the author has the tendency to repeat certain themes from previous books, which get old. Also, it wasn't a mystery, as I was expecting. You know who the killers are the whole time. The only mystery is how the story will play out. This wasn't my favorite in the series, but I'll still read the next one. If the next one is more repetition, I may give up on it which is too bad because otherwise it has been an interesting series.

message 19: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1031 comments WoF - Vicki

I read The September Society.
It takes place in London and Oxford so it fit for Good Omens set in the UK. I probably wont see Good Omens as I don't see many movies and I haven't read any Terry Pratchett so far.

I did like The September Society though. It's the 2nd in the Charles Lennox Mysteries and I enjoyed this one more than the first. Was a bit more exciting but it doesn't feel as historical as other historical mysteries.

message 20: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments WoF = Cherie

I read The Templar Legacy
The beginning of the book takes place in Denmark, but the rest of the story takes place in France. I do plan on seeing the movie for The Nightingale. I loved the book!

I had not planned on starting the first book in the Cotton Malone series this year, but Roz talked me into it, and it was available from my library in audiobook. I really enjoyed all of the historical information about the Templars and the locations mentioned in France.

message 21: by Erica (last edited Dec 30, 2018 07:48PM) (new)

Erica | 182 comments WoF Erica

I read The Remains of the Day which takes place in the UK and does fit with the movie Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch.

I like to watch the movie but will probably read the book first.

I really enjoyed the book and how the author chapter after chapter reveals more of the main character and its story. The story starts of very slowly and one might wonder where the story is going, and then everything is explained in the second half of the book and especially in the last chapters. I read Never Let Me Go some month ago so I knew I had to be patient...

message 22: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments WoF Tricia

I read Artemis Fowl which, of course, goes with the Artemis Fowl movie.

It was funny because someone had recommended this book to me as a family read, and we started it at the beginning of the month because December tends to be a light month for us as far as school goes, but I wanted to make sure we continued reading together. Then, I saw this challenge, and it fit! LOL I love it when stuff comes together like that.

Anyway, I loved this book and have since read the second in the series as well.

I will probably see the movie although possibly not until it comes out on home video. The theater is expensive.

message 23: by Ashley (last edited Dec 31, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Ashley | 341 comments Wall of Fame Name: Ashley

I read Under the Dome by Stephen King . It fits with Pet Sematary by Stephen King because they are both by Stephen King.

I watched part of Pet Sematary years ago but didn’t finish it because I was too scared. I will maybe try to give it another go lol!

I really liked the book Under the Dome. It didn’t seem like it was over 1000 pages! It went by really fast and I was sad when it was done. I wasn’t ready to leave the dome yet!

message 24: by Beth (last edited Dec 31, 2018 03:44PM) (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1879 comments 1. PhillyBeth

2. Brighton Rock by Graham Greene

3. It is set in Brighton, England, UK so it is for Good Omens.

4. I rarely get to the movies because I have a kid and a 200 mile a day commute, so I may not see it, but I liked the book when I read it earlier in the year. I also liked, but didn't love, Brighton Rock. It's on the 1001 books list, but it isn't my favorite Graham Greene or favorite thriller. I think thriller isn't his best genre.

reply | flag *

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48770 comments Badges are posted. Please let me know if I've missed anyone.

message 26: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1031 comments I believe you missed me. Msg 19

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48770 comments My fingers did a fancy dance and clicked on the wrong name. I've fixed it and given you your badge. Sorry for the mix up.