2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > 2019 Personal Challenge 1-12 Fictional Books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (focusedtiff) | 1 comments My goal is to read fiction for the year 2019. I have consumed the last 15 years with mostly books that are non-fiction. I think the last time I read a fictional book was in 2009 and was criticized about it in the teacher's lounge. I want to get back to reading fiction because I've read that it helps to relieve stress and helps your brain and creativity. My goal is to try one fictional book a month but I don't really know where to start.

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Tiffany wrote: "My goal is to read fiction for the year 2019. I have consumed the last 15 years with mostly books that are non-fiction. I think the last time I read a fictional book was in 2009 and was criticized ..."

Hi Tiffany, I love reading fiction exactly for the reasons you mention. I have a high-stress job and do quite some reading for work as well. I just NEED my fiction books to relieve stress, I think I would go mad otherwise. For the same reason I love watching movies and tv series. Sometimes I'm just too tired to process what I'm reading (and I can't concentrate on audio books, so that doesn't work for me) so I'll just turn one of the series I'm following or watch a movie.

I'm very surprised to hear you were criticized for reading fiction! Especially if they were teachers. Reading (fiction) is very much encouraged by teachers in the Netherlands.

Have a look at the challenges; they might help you pick a book to start of with.
Or maybe join in on the monthly group read or one of the buddy reads?

Wishing you the best of luck with your goal but above all, happy reading!!

message 3: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4088 comments Hi Tiffany, I moved you topic to our Personal Challenges folder.

Good luck with your challenge! We have a lot of challenges and other group activities to help you out, including some listopias full of fiction books recommended by our members:
Top 10 for Reading Challengers, Recommended by Reading Challengers, and our most recent list Timeless Classics for Reading Challengers.

message 4: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4088 comments How is it going with your challenge so far? Have you been able to find some good fiction books?